Where did you say you come from again?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Where did you say you come from again?

Sitting having a coffee this arvo, I picked up a back copy of that riveting current affairs analysis mag, Who, and found the most interesting thing it contained was an ad on the back cover for a baby Citroen. Started off by saying something about how it was made in Paris blah blah blah, but finished up with a curious tag in bastardized Italian saying, "L'Automobile piu Bella del Mondo".

Huh?!?!?!?

Advertisement
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

Quote Originally Posted by mr bern
    but finished up with a curious tag in bastardized Italian saying, "L'Automobile piu Bella del Mondo".
    It's an award given by the Italians for the world's most beautiful car within specific segments.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Pug307
    It's an award given by the Italians for the world's most beautiful car within specific segments.
    What, and their "segment" just happened to be "del Mondo" (capitalized in a way that no Italian would capitalize it)? You're making that up, tourist!

I stand to be corrected, but it smells much more to me like it's some lame copywriter's idea of an exotic tag, tacked onto the end of a paragraph of waffle (in English) in an undifferentiated typeface as it is, in the grand tradition of Nellie Melba being told, "sing 'em crap -- they won't know the difference!" Why else would the only non-English phrase in an advertisement for a French car be Italian? (With all due respect, would you be influenced -- in a positive way -- if the best award they could come up with to persuade you to buy a French car was Italian?)

I can see it now, being dreamed up over a latte in Lygon Street -- "Hey, Luigi, how would you say this in New-Australian? And how do you spell it?"
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

Thread Information