• Register
  • Help
    nJm

Default PSA + Toyota announce new Sub-Mini cars

This was in today's news at www.autoexpress.co.uk

Wednesday 25th August 2004

Peugeot And Citroen In Baby Boom

Advertisement

There's a French revolution on the way in the budget car market! The exclusive pictures inside this week's Auto Express reveal both Peugeot and Citroen are planning to produce a sub-supermini-sized hatchback.

Our spies have already caught an early prototype out on test, and the two versions of the new city star, which share the same platform, are tipped to debut at next year's Frankfurt Motor Show. The pair, seen in this week's mag, will be built alongside a Toyota-badged version of the car, which will use the same underpinnings and go on sale next to the Yaris.

All three vehicles are the result of a joint venture between Peugeot, Citroen and Toyota to build a new plant in Kolin near Prague in the Czech Republic. By pooling resources, the three manufacturers have reduced the total cost of launching their new small model, which should result in impressively low prices. Our exclusive picture of the prototype shows exactly how tiny these new cars will be. Although they measure only 3.4 metres in length, the designers have still managed to squeeze in five doors - but the incredibly narrow C-pillar indicates that boot space will be tight.

Three-door versions will also be produced, but Toyota is said to have taken the decision to sell only five-door variants, leaving its French partners to market the less practical model. While the city cars will be virtually identical mechanically, designers are keen to add their own distinctive styling cues.

Peugeot's version - set to be called the 107 and become the long-awaited replacement for the 106, which ceased production last year - has adopted the family look of the new supermini-based MPV, the 1007. However, as more conventional hatchbacks, three and five-door variants of the Peugeot will be far cheaper than the 1007, with prices expected to start at around £6,500.

Citroen is likely to make its take on the new platform even better value for money. Company insiders have hinted that the double-chevron model will be given a C1 badge to cement its place in the line-up below the larger C2. This could mean that entry-level versions go on sale for as little as £5,500. The Citroen is set apart from its Peugeot sibling by the marque's trademark grille, while the new model's headlamps are inspired by those of the funky C3 Pluriel.

As part of the overall cost reduction plan, the cars that roll out of the Kolin factory will be offered with a choice of only two engines. The cheapest models will come with a 1.0-litre three-cylinder 60bhp Toyota unit, but for customers who want to cut down on running costs even further, a 1.4-litre diesel, offering 70bhp, will also be available.

Once the new plant is up and running, initial production targets are to build a total of 300,000 models a year, with each manufacturer selling an equal share. Expect the first of the new city cars to go on sale in UK showrooms before the end of next year. Chris Thorp
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

Interesting to know that there will be both a 107 AND a 1007. I thought the "double oh" naming system was to replace the single oh system.

John
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by peujohn
    Interesting to know that there will be both a 107 AND a 1007. I thought the "double oh" naming system was to replace the single oh system.

John
    As in "Oh Oh what a feeling! Toygeot! (san)"

Hang on, I should use this smilie
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Icon1

The french side of things is good but getting together with toyota is concerning...

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    The french side of things is good but getting together with toyota is concerning...
    Some would think that would be a match made in heaven.

PSA 'panache' mixed with Toyota dependability - fix up a lot of the problems with the cars today.

Only last week was the 206 rated as Sweden's most problematic car.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

nJm

I agree with Justin. Another thing to remember is that Australia gets some of the most boring Toyotas available. Even our Camry isn't as interesting as the American version (which has a sweet VVT 3.3L V6). Toyota Europe have some nice cars with a bit more class to them than what we see here.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

I don't really follow current frenchies - are we getting the 1XXX in australia?

nJm

I doubt it. It is a 'special' model, a cross between a super-mini hatch and an MPV. It has two sliding electric doors, designed for ultra tight street parking I guess.

I also doubt that we will see the 107 and C1. We've never had the 106 and Saxo, due to their size. They simply wouldn't sell. People are buying Barinas and Fiestas which are one class larger.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

Its unfortunate really, because out of the post 95 pugs, the 106GTi has to be the standout. Goddammit.

Fellow Frogger!

well, at $3 a litre of unleaded, there might be a market for the C1/107. I was so disappointed that the Saxo VTS or the Lupo GTI (ok it's not french) or the 106 made it here.....i was hoping they'd come in at $12k or so and I could've at least bought one of each!

Thread Information