Telstra Rally Australia
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Telstra Rally Australia

Just wondering... are you West Aussies planning a visit or 3 to the WRC Telstra Rally Australia? Obviously both Peugeot and Citroen will have their entries there. It's on between Nov 11 and Nov 14 2004

I could be up for it

The website is http://www.rallyaustralia.com.au/

Advertisement

And a PDF with a program is at http://www.rallyaustralia.com.au/one...%20Program.pdf

Anyway, I thought I'd start a thread about it because I can't find one about the event in November. This thread is for discussions about the Telstra Rally Australia. If we have an AF meet there, we'll start a new thread in the social events section.

Derek
    P.S. if anyone wants to take their helicopter to this event, you must register it at http://www.rallyaustralia.com.au/one...ion%20Form.pdf

XTC

I'll be there .... and have already completed my helicopter registration.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

I'm hoping to visit Rally Oz this year. It would be a good time for an AF meet.

Troy.

I am thinking about heading over to Rally Oz this year - however it is really close to the Classic Adelaide rally which I am already committed to working on. I might delay the trip over until next year.

One thing to do if your interested in rallying is to get your CAMS officials license and then you can work on the stages or in some other capacity at the event - It's all then free (apart from getting there and accomodation) and you get closer to the action than you would if you were a spectator!

Getting over to Perth for rally Oz is on my list of things to do... Along with going to Finland for the 1000 lakes rally... Man I love those jumps!
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by gti138
    One thing to do if your interested in rallying is to get your CAMS officials license and then you can work on the stages or in some other capacity at the event - It's all then free (apart from getting there and accomodation) and you get closer to the action than you would if you were a spectator!
    Don't stress about CAMS it's all a bit of political BS - as for getting close to the action, well I can't remember the last time I saw rally cars in action, too busy working !!!

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    as for getting close to the action, well I can't remember the last time I saw rally cars in action, too busy working !!!

- XTC206 -
    Too true! At Rally SA last weekend I was running one of the flying finish's and I was too busy trying to stop the backup clock as the car crossed the line and then trying to find out what number it was - let alone what the car was or who was driving it!

Great fun though!
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!

Ahhh Gti138,

I too went to Rally SA as service crew for the Dell Subaru STi. Nice weather on Friday in shorts and t shirts working on the car in Tanunda, then Saturday came with on and off sunshine. What happened on Sunday? This water kept falling from the sky hour after hour - something we dont see here in Canberra...
    See you all at Rally Oz.

ipb

Man , I'd love to visit W.A. in November!! With the excellent result for Citroen 1st & 2nd, during the last round it would be awesome to watch them and the Peugeot Team claim a place. Only ever been to the Coopers SA Rally, but imagine the sheer talents of these international drivers, travelling the world ........what an experience!! The vastness of this country can make it difficult for most to see the Telstra Rally .........Pity

Cheers Pete

Quote Originally Posted by ipb205
    Ahhh Gti138,

I too went to Rally SA as service crew for the Dell Subaru STi. Nice weather on Friday in shorts and t shirts working on the car in Tanunda, then Saturday came with on and off sunshine. What happened on Sunday? This water kept falling from the sky hour after hour - something we dont see here in Canberra...
    See you all at Rally Oz.

ipb
    Your asking me about the weather??? I dont know what got into it myself! You should have seen the rain here on Tuesday & Wednesday! Sadly I was on the stage that was downgraded on Sunday - We dont know quite why as we were all setup without any dramas & there was not much fog around - I drove the stage without a drama in my pug. Methinks that the organisers got it a bit wrong!

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Xsara VTS/ Pete
    Man , I'd love to visit W.A. in November!!
    One of the SYD/MEL guys can pick you up on the way over

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    One of the SYD/MEL guys can pick you up on the way over

- XTC206 -
    That's what I was thinking, but I didn't want to say it yet (oh well).

Derek.

1000+ Posts

I'll be visiting a couple of the country stages this year, primarily because my 5 yo son is getting right into Colin McRae Rally on both Playstation and PC, and is an absolute car nut! I've been to a few of the earlier rally Oz, but found, as the years went on, you couldn't get as close as you used to and it took the fun out of the rally. I remember the first year, I was literally on the other side of a tree from the track, and had to duck behind (a substantial gum) to shield myself from the dust and rocks. There's no chance of doing that now... (Oh, and no, I wasn't acting like some of those crazy Spaniards. It was pretty safe as it was on the exiting side of a hairpin.) Still, it's a brilliant event, and the one (of the two big ones) I'm glad WA has...

(It's a bit of a high speed drive between some of the country stages. I still remember the time that madman Alex Fiorio had a bit of bad luck (puncture?) one year and was behind time. There was a procession of spectators cars doing about 90-100km/h between stages. I hear the typical 'bang, bang' sound of a rally car and look in my RHS mirror to see this blaze of headlights, with Fiorio opposite locking the car (Integrale) around the outside of us, the front wheels on the tarmac and the rear off the road in the ditch, the car at 45 degrees - on a straight, at about 40-50km/h faster than us! He just nonchalantly hung the tail off the road without slowing, swung it back on after he'd passed 4-5 cars, and carried on. All in a split second. Seeing those guys drive live is the most awesome driving I reckon you'd ever see...I literally and involuntarily went 'Farrrrrk' the first time I saw a top flight WRC car at full whack - Juha Kankunnen in a Celica GT4, from memory)

Cheers

Stuey

Thread Information