New Hot hatch website
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default New Hot hatch website

www.hothatch.net

Doesn't have much in it at the moment but they're still developing it. Hopefully should be pretty good if they really do compile the full A-Z list that they say they will.

Advertisement
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Top find there!

The 0-100 times are an interesting read. As far as a naturally aspirated 4cyl goes, the GTi6 is not looking too shabby at all
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Free
    Top find there!

The 0-100 times are an interesting read. As far as a naturally aspirated 4cyl goes, the GTi6 is not looking too shabby at all
    Stone, I wouldn't take those times as gospel though, at most just a general indication for comparison with other cars. It's possible that anything less than 0.5 seconds between two cars could go either way on another day, with another two sample cars.... Also, reading some of the UK mags, they generally tend to get consistently lower times than say Australian mags. I am not sure of the reason, but one possible reason is air temps are generally colder in Europe than here.

- 306 gti6

well, I suppose there is some degree of error involved, like anything that is measured. But it is still a good comparison.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

moosey

Most of their timing is 0-60 miles per hour - equating to 96km/h. This is usually the reason for the lower times. In days gone by the difference often used to be huge as a gearchange was required to get to 100km/h. Then the car companies got smart and geared their vehicles towards the test - so that 100 was reached in 2nd.

i wouldnt take it for gospel at all, these times are all out of wack, there is no way a gti6 does the sprint in 7.2 seconds to 96km/h, dont get me wrong they are quick but not that quick, maybe with some mods but no way stock.
    This has got me questioning the integrity of hothatch.net although their max speed comparison seemed fairly on the money.

my

have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by jastanis
    Stone, I wouldn't take those times as gospel though, at most just a general indication for comparison with other cars. It's possible that anything less than 0.5 seconds between two cars could go either way on another day, with another two sample cars.... Also, reading some of the UK mags, they generally tend to get consistently lower times than say Australian mags. I am not sure of the reason, but one possible reason is air temps are generally colder in Europe than here.

maybe the poms are just full of sh|t...but who knows..

cool site.

The Skoda Fabia is damn sexy I reckon. Looks wicked in WRC trim and looks wicked in hot trim there.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by evolvetoGTi6
    i wouldnt take it for gospel at all, these times are all out of wack, there is no way a gti6 does the sprint in 7.2 seconds to 96km/h, dont get me wrong they are quick but not that quick, maybe with some mods but no way stock.
    This has got me questioning the integrity of hothatch.net although their max speed comparison seemed fairly on the money.

my

have a good one.

it was either fast fours or hot fours when the GTI-6 first came out got the car to do 0-100 in 7.8 so maybe with cooler temps and 0-96 7.2 could be getting pretty close
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    it was either fast fours or hot fours when the GTI-6 first came out got the car to do 0-100 in 7.8 so maybe with cooler temps and 0-96 7.2 could be getting pretty close
    Yeah I wouldn't be surprised either for 7.2 to 96 km/hr in cooler temps. 8 sec 0-100 is what peugeot officially claims, and unlike some manufacturers, peugeot is pretty accurate. I've driven a gti6 before which would've struggled to break 9 sec though! So definitely does depend on the particular car, plus it's not a particularly easy car to launch. Anyway, who cares about 0-100. People are way too focused on that 'benchmark' when it really only loosely translates to real-world oomph (unless traffic light drags are your forte') Let's talk about in gear acceleration in 3rd and 4th. I love short ratios!

- 306 gti6

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised either for 7.2 to 96 km/hr in cooler temps. 8 sec 0-100 is what peugeot officially claims, and unlike some manufacturers, peugeot is pretty accurate. I've driven a gti6 before which would've struggled to break 9 sec though! So definitely does depend on the particular car, plus it's not a particularly easy car to launch. Anyway, who cares about 0-100. People are way too focused on that 'benchmark' when it really only loosely translates to real-world oomph (unless traffic light drags are your forte') Let's talk about in gear acceleration in 3rd and 4th. I love short ratios!
    And now with e-tags in Sydney and more and more freeways, I never do a hard 0-100 anymore. I do a rolling 30-40kph to 110 after the M2 gates, but never off the line.

I'd still beat Dave in a 1L Charade with 4 big mates aboard, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln the bloody dork
    Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.. youuu. I have nothin'. Shit.

I bet you have wet dreams about that drive-day lincoln!

*Oooooooh, I beat Dave once, so I'll never let him down!* YA.

heheheeeeee, bloody smartarse
    ~Dave Power` [MY 4] :

"#PW33RR" --- > "PW33RR" 2009 Mazda6 MXR-CD, 2.2L Turbo Diesel - More torque than the last! Geesssuz[/COLOR] HOT
    "#ZEG01F" --- > 2006 VW Golf 2.0L TDI - The torque machine SOLD
    "MY 4" --------------- > 2002 Monaco Blue RenaultSport Clio MkII SOLD
    "XES11V" ---------- > 1999 Mitsubishi Mirage STOLEN

Quote Originally Posted by MY 4
    Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.. youuu. I have nothin'. Shit.

I bet you have wet dreams about that drive-day lincoln!

*Oooooooh, I beat Dave once, so I'll never let him down!* YA.

heheheeeeee, bloody smartarse
    Didn't it happen twice? Didn't Derek beat you too? Oh and Brenno is his Granny spec XT... and...umm... the guy walking along the side of the road... and...

This all happened on closed roads in controlled conditions, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    And now with e-tags in Sydney and more and more freeways, I never do a hard 0-100 anymore. I do a rolling 30-40kph to 110 after the M2 gates, but never off the line.

Oh I love the M2 gates. Remember winding out the corolla through 1st, 2nd and 3rd to redline then quickly going oops and backing off. Was very closely geared that car, 3rd in redline would be about 130. Geez I miss Sydney.

Ok now you've got me curious with this story. Do tell! It must be good to warrant the quote 'Lincoln the bloody dork' hahaha! A friend's aunty has a 1L 3cyl charade, auto I think, and I kid you not, but just with her small 50kg frame in it, she has to switch off the aircon to get up hills.

Edit: I keep hearing about Brenno's granny spec XT which eats gti6's and the like, and I saw the time he posted at Wakefield was amazing. What's the story, or is Brenno a Rick Bates in disguise?

- 306 gti6

I dunno about struggling to 9 secs. My old Mazda could do it in 10, and the 6 is a darn sight quicker than that.

I think also English emission laws may be different. Case in point being the 205GTi which had to be de-tuned to comply with our laws here, something like 15kW less. Maybe they had to do the same to the GTi6.

I love the 0-60mph time of the Clio V6. Imagine chucking a turbo on THAT!

Didn't it happen twice? Didn't Derek beat you too? Oh and Brenno is his Granny spec XT... and...umm... the guy walking along the side of the road... and...

This all happened on closed roads in controlled conditions, of course.
    HA HA HA!!!! Geeeez you LOVE to stir me...! hahahaaaa

I won't start this debate again Lincoln, but you know too well that they were not exactly 'fair examples'. Especially, Brenno's one, coz' he's a lunatic (IMO) hehe. J/k Brenno. Or am I? Who knows.

And Deka's one was a bit of 3rd gear rolling start - which was just a playful attempt to make the ride more interesting as apposed to a full-blown drag.

So NER.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Jastanis
    It must be good to warrant the quote 'Lincoln the bloody dork' hahaha!
    Hehe, I added the 'bloody' just to make ya feel involved dude! But no, seriously - there's not much to tell, but Lincoln is actually a bloody dork. Just ask me!

~Dave Power` [MY 4] :

"#PW33RR" --- > "PW33RR" 2009 Mazda6 MXR-CD, 2.2L Turbo Diesel - More torque than the last! Geesssuz[/COLOR] HOT
    "#ZEG01F" --- > 2006 VW Golf 2.0L TDI - The torque machine SOLD
    "MY 4" --------------- > 2002 Monaco Blue RenaultSport Clio MkII SOLD
    "XES11V" ---------- > 1999 Mitsubishi Mirage STOLEN

I dunno about struggling to 9 secs. My old Mazda could do it in 10, and the 6 is a darn sight quicker than that.

I think also English emission laws may be different. Case in point being the 205GTi which had to be de-tuned to comply with our laws here, something like 15kW less. Maybe they had to do the same to the GTi6.

I love the 0-60mph time of the Clio V6. Imagine chucking a turbo on THAT!
    Stone, trust me, the particular '6 that I drove definitely felt about 9 secs 0-100. A gti6 is a darn sight quicker than that..but not that one.

I don't think there was any emission law impact on the aussie '6s.

The clio V6 is insane. Not just because of its power to weight ratio..cos that's nothing overwhelming, but mid-engined in a hatch, and not enough of a wheelbase to really control it. I've got a Topgear video of one being tested. Twitchy is an understatement. But I'd love one nevertheless!

- 306 gti6

Oh I love the M2 gates. Remember winding out the corolla through 1st, 2nd and 3rd to redline then quickly going oops and backing off. Was very closely geared that car, 3rd in redline would be about 130. Geez I miss Sydney.

Ok now you've got me curious with this story. Do tell! It must be good to warrant the quote 'Lincoln the bloody dork' hahaha! A friend's aunty has a 1L 3cyl charade, auto I think, and I kid you not, but just with her small 50kg frame in it, she has to switch off the aircon to get up hills.

Edit: I keep hearing about Brenno's granny spec XT which eats gti6's and the like, and I saw the time he posted at Wakefield was amazing. What's the story, or is Brenno a Rick Bates in disguise?
    My first car was a 3cyl 1L automatic Charade. Yep, the AC was a reverse boost button. hehe. Dave can't launch his car, he's lost every drag I'm aware of. hehe.

Brenno's XT was a might quick car, a lot quicker than the 100kw factory claim. It was just as strong as a 6 through to 6000rpm.

His fastest time at Wakefield was a 1:19 flat, but was on slicks. Still very quick, though.

Stone, trust me, the particular '6 that I drove definitely felt about 9 secs 0-100. A gti6 is a darn sight quicker than that..but not that one.

I don't think there was any emission law impact on the aussie '6s.

The clio V6 is insane. Not just because of its power to weight ratio..cos that's nothing overwhelming, but mid-engined in a hatch, and not enough of a wheelbase to really control it. I've got a Topgear video of one being tested. Twitchy is an understatement. But I'd love one nevertheless!

Mate, you've got some Top Gear vids?? How can I get hold of them??

I remember when I test drove my GTi6 for the first time. The computer had been reset and was in 'get home' mode. Quite crap really, revs limited to 4K. Glad I had a change of heart and test drove it after they had fixed it.

1000+ Posts

Brenno's XT was a might quick car, a lot quicker than the 100kw factory claim. It was just as strong as a 6 through to 6000rpm.
    Certainly proves that "alternative" run in technique.

Derek.

My first car was a 3cyl 1L automatic Charade. Yep, the AC was a reverse boost button. hehe. Dave can't launch his car, he's lost every drag I'm aware of. hehe.

His fastest time at Wakefield was a 1:19 flat, but was on slicks. Still very quick, though.
    That's amazing. Before I bought my '6 I was looking at various other pugs on and off for about 2 yrs. In that time I drove about 4 XTs and they felt significantly slower (from memory) to my '6 now, and much slower than S16s I was test driving during the same time. The XTs did handle fabulously though. I couldn't get over the fact that non-performance models could handle so well. The current Focus line is like that too. A mate at work bought one of the bread 'n butter 23K drive away ones and I was really surprised at how well they go around corners. It's good to see some manufacturers going away from designing pig understeer into their everyday models.

Stone, are you sure it went into 'get home' mode after the computer reset?? There must've been a more serious underlying problem because I've reset the computer in mine before and it doesn't make too much of a difference. Basically it takes 20 kms or so before the computer 'relearns' again and performs as it should, but it certainly didn't limit revs or anything like that even within those 20 kms.

Yeah I've been getting every top gear vid from a work mate who gets his father (who resides in the UK) to tape the shows and post them every 2 weeks! Lucky bugger. Obviously I have to return the tapes after watching, but he's still got all of them and one of these days when I get myself a dvd recorder I'll borrow them again and make myself my own 'best of' collection! I have heard that it is possible to download the videos somewhere off the web though. I don't have broadband yet so haven't bothered looking into it. Ask around though.

- 306 gti6

Heh I missed this thread.

Yeh the old XT was a wee beastie. I hope the new owner is having fun with it because I certainly did. It was all the car though, because I really am a pretty bad driver on the scale of things.

It had a freakishly good motor, and I still can't explain why it had so much punch. Darren even started a thread about it;

Freak Engines

....and heres a thread about my Gtech/AC22 times.

306 Gtech times

I miss that car

moosey

I had a 205Si in the early 90's. It was an ex factory car that I picked up about 18mths old, 20 something clicks. In gear, it was almost on par with many of the 1.9GTi's in the PCC NSW. I'd suggest that it must have spent half its life before I owned it lapping race tracks and back roads as an evaluation vehicle. The guys at Pymble Auto Service reckoned that it was the only Si that they had driven that had any grunt.
    My 1600cc GTi, owned while living in the UK, was quicker and revved harder than the Aussie 1.9's. It ran on leaded (I think?) fuel, had higher compression and no cat. Sounded mad too, due to a Janspeed backbox. My (now) wife could here me coming from three blocks away!

Mate, you've got some Top Gear vids?? How can I get hold of them??
    I've got something like 5gb of Topgear and 5th Gear vids - Incase your interested
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Stone, are you sure it went into 'get home' mode after the computer reset?? There must've been a more serious underlying problem because I've reset the computer in mine before and it doesn't make too much of a difference. Basically it takes 20 kms or so before the computer 'relearns' again and performs as it should, but it certainly didn't limit revs or anything like that even within those 20 kms.

Yeah I've been getting every top gear vid from a work mate who gets his father (who resides in the UK) to tape the shows and post them every 2 weeks! Lucky bugger. Obviously I have to return the tapes after watching, but he's still got all of them and one of these days when I get myself a dvd recorder I'll borrow them again and make myself my own 'best of' collection! I have heard that it is possible to download the videos somewhere off the web though. I don't have broadband yet so haven't bothered looking into it. Ask around though.

Yeah, apparently the car needed to be jump started and the computer crapped itself. I guess that is a lesson as to not to jump start EI engines

GTI138; I'd be very interested in the Top Gear vids you have. 5th gear is a pants show that is only as good as The Car Show over here. Dunno how you can get 5Gig to me though. I'm not exactly a techno wiz.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information