Parts from blighty
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Parts from blighty

Hi Guys,

I need to put a new clutch in the BX in a couple of months, and I intend doing this myself.

What's the experience in buying these from England? How long does it take, and what does it cost in terms of shipping, duty, GST, etc?

Advertisement

From what I can see a clutch kit for a BX is around 50 pounds or A$130 odd. They seem to be around $250-300 here, so if shipping etc is say $50 then it might be worthwhile.

Thanks,

Barry.

It can be very economical or it can be very frustrating.
    Be very wary of the companies you deal with; keep to reputable ones.
    GSF/Andyspares in UK, Andre Pol in Holland and there was a mob in Scotland "ESA????" I think or something similar.
    Graham did business with a mob in Pommyland just before he left to go abroad and I got the feeling he was about ready to "pay them a social call" whilst he was over there as he looked as though he might get dudded on some GS parts even though this crew were supposedly big in the GS field.
    I find with GSF that the prices are great, service sensational (about 5 days from there to me here in a regional area) but they use a courier service that charges bloody frightening freight charges and remember, these charges tend to multiply as our government like to also ad GST to the freight costs as well as import duty and the freight, so they can really get out of hand.
    The best we've found is to place a decent sized order as the freight seems to be priced in increments so something that might cost $80 for cartage, say like a clutch kit, will still cost $80 if it also includes a few CV boots, brake pads and a few other bits and bobs, so it pays to ask a few questions and do it all in one order instead of 2 or 3. A water pump for argumants sake, is about 1/4 of the price here and boots are about 4 UK pounds instead of the A$80 type figures they quote at the local Cit joint.
    I'd suggest an e-mail to GSF and if necessary as these days they offer some pretty good phone deals, if necessary give them a call, if you can get a name & a direct line number (you can almost understand 'em) and have a yarn one on one and see if you can circumvent the courier and simply go just via the mail service.
    Unfortunately over there, they have no faith whatsoever in their mail service and seem reluctant to use it even though it's only a fraction of these expensive courier services.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Alan for the reply. Some questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    It can be very economical or it can be very frustrating.
    Be very wary of the companies you deal with; keep to reputable ones.
    GSF/Andyspares in UK, Andre Pol in Holland and there was a mob in Scotland "ESA????" I think or something similar.
    I'm only thinking GSF as they seem to have the best reputation.

I find with GSF that the prices are great, service sensational (about 5 days from there to me here in a regional area) but they use a courier service that charges bloody frightening freight charges and remember, these charges tend to multiply as our government like to also ad GST to the freight costs as well as import duty and the freight, so they can really get out of hand.
    The best we've found is to place a decent sized order as the freight seems to be priced in increments so something that might cost $80 for cartage, say like a clutch kit, will still cost $80 if it also includes a few CV boots, brake pads and a few other bits and bobs, so it pays to ask a few questions and do it all in one order instead of 2 or 3. A water pump for argumants sake, is about 1/4 of the price here and boots are about 4 UK pounds instead of the A$80 type figures they quote at the local Cit joint.
    I'd suggest an e-mail to GSF and if necessary as these days they offer some pretty good phone deals, if necessary give them a call, if you can get a name & a direct line number (you can almost understand 'em) and have a yarn one on one and see if you can circumvent the courier and simply go just via the mail service.
    Unfortunately over there, they have no faith whatsoever in their mail service and seem reluctant to use it even though it's only a fraction of these expensive courier services.

Alan S
    So, do I have pay duty & GST on top of the total bill? Is there a dollar value limit one can limbo under where this can be avoided? (I frequently buy CDs & DVDs OS up to $200 and never had to pay anything extra, for example). What rate of duty gets charged?

Thanks,

Barry.

I always use GSF and I've found they are so well equipped to handle export they are troublefree.
    I have never heard a bad word against Andre' Pol though.
    The duty is levelled at 15% import duty and then the GST is levied on the price, freight and import duty to maximise their return.
    I have been told that if the total duty to be collected is under A$50 they usually don't worry about it but so far I've ever seen that happen. I think the thing with GSF is that being a company that exports around the World, they simply pass it all onto the couriers who have their own import agents out here & simply hand it to them to handle. I guess handling heaps of gear it's too much stuffing around trying to organise things to dodge paying some of the fees but I uderstand it's no problem for Andre's boys
    The Dutch also have a "second class courier service" which I understand saves heaps on cartage too.
    Option #2 is that there is a clutch service we use up here where I am that is run by a young fellow who was involved with one of the top privateer Rally teams in Australia and he's a bit of a boy genius. He did the clutch on my sons 16V when everyone reckoned it couldn't be done successfully and that car does almost 700 miles a week now as well as being used a couple of times a year at a sprint meets and hill climbs. I don't know what he charges, but it has to be a sight cheaper than some of the Ned Kelly Motor repairs and Parts franchises you guys seem to have down there.
    The only downside I could see would be the time factor of possibly 3 - 4 days each way with cartage or post.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Alan,

The duty is levelled at 15% import duty and then the GST is levied on the price, freight and import duty to maximise their return.
    Ok, so a 50 UK pound clutch kit will end up costing:

(50/.38+80)*1.15*1.10 = A$266. This is pretty marginal compared to a locally sourced clutch kit.

I'm going to email GSF with my list of bits & make a decision based on the whole shebang - I don't doubt that the package is probably a good deal.

Thanks,

Barry.

Fellow Frogger!

Over here in the U.K. GSF do have a very good reputation, Have branches all over the country & are one of the best people to source parts from for French cars after a main dealer.

The reason we dont have any faith in are mail service is because we like letters & parcels to get to there destination, A lot of mail goes missing & unless you are willing to pay a lot extra for a signed for + insured delivery, Its just cheaper & less hassle to send it by a courier service.

What would a decent clutch repairer charge for a rebuild, Barry?

For that matter, what about buying a roughie from a wrecker and getting that rebuilt?

In Brisbane there's a clutch man (at Maine... DCS I think is the name, Direct Clutch Service?) who does a great job. We had problems with a Lada Samara once and he explained that there was nothing he could do... but most cars there are options like different diaphragms that can be fitted, different linings to be used etc. In other words, he knew his stuff.

There are similar people in Sydney, Hills at Granville, for instance. Go talk to them...

Thread Information