froggy rubber
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: froggy rubber

Fellow Frogger!

Default froggy rubber

i was after fellow froggers opinions on tyre choice for french cars.
    i need a set of 205/50-15's or 205/45-15's for my 405sri.
    also a set of 185/50-14's for my r12almostG.

obviously, as a consumer, i want the world. long wearing, exceptional performance in wet and dry, comfort, and above all cheap.

Advertisement

all opinions welcome, unless you think i should renounce french cars.

Icon11

Michelin have a "Certis" 185 for about $150 when I got them. handle well, wet and dry, have lasted for sometime, with minimal signs of wear and well I am very hppy with them. I guess with french car i prefer to stay with a french tyre. Otherwise the Pirelli P600 (? as far as i can remember) offer the same features for bigger wheels.

Looking at purchasing a set of mags for my 405, and will definately get a set of new "energy" series michelins as they offer performance, longevity and above all quiet driving.

If you want to try dunlops, i have driven on a set of sport 300 series, and maaan do they grip!! even in a boat handling pulsar of a friends

I have always used either Yokohama's, Pirelli's or of course Michelins on all my French cars. All 3 offer great quality at realistic prices. Shop around for sure, the difference in price for the same tyres is crazy sometimes. The BX I had ran on Yoka's & I felt they were a lot better than the Bridgestones that it had on it previously. Some mad bastard has put Foo-Sung's or some weird crap like that on one of my CX's & they have affected ride & handling to no end I have driven over 10 similar CX's & these tyres have wrecked the experience! The Pirelli P7's on my Xsara have been the best tyres I have had to date having already clocked up 60,000km with ample tread left, great in the wet as well. One things for sure, you've got to stick with quality brands for that special froggy
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4
    Simca Arondes (travaux en cours)
    Lotus Elise Club Racer '12

In WA? Join THE club ! www.frenchandfantastic.com.au

Tadpole

Consider BF Goodrich which were one of the few recommended in a recent Wheels (or other Motor Mag) tyre comparison. Very sweet and grippy on my BX. Got them from Quickfit who told me Michelin have bought them so they can crack into the USA market. Approx 30% cheaper than Michelin.

My new Scenic came with 205/55 x 15 Continentals - 31k so far and plenty of life left - noise seems low and grip OK (not that a Scenic would test this much) - not sure of replacement costs

Quote Originally Posted by cookies
    Consider BF Goodrich which were one of the few recommended in a recent Wheels (or other Motor Mag) tyre comparison. Very sweet and grippy on my BX. Got them from Quickfit who told me Michelin have bought them so they can crack into the USA market. Approx 30% cheaper than Michelin.
    Michelin have owned BF for quite some time now. The G-Force Sport is a very good touring performance tyre. http://www.bfgoodrich.com.au/html/ti...rce+Sport.html

Fellow Frogger!

whilst on the topic of tyres, i also need a set of competition tyres, probably 195/50-14 or 205/50-14. i have no clue about competition tyres, but i need them for motorkhana and hillclimb (dry and tarmac). any knowledge to share?

Quote Originally Posted by 3006882
    whilst on the topic of tyres, i also need a set of competition tyres, probably 195/50-14 or 205/50-14. i have no clue about competition tyres, but i need them for motorkhana and hillclimb (dry and tarmac). any knowledge to share?
    There's a current thread on Motorsport that has some information on R compounds.

Michelin have dropped the "Certis" tyres and replaced them with the silica based XM1. I found this out when I had to replace a Certis on the XAntia due to tyre wall damage and they couldn't source one. CAn't comment on XM1 performance because its running-in on on a back wheel at the moment until I have to replace on of the other Certis's.

Ken W

Thread Information