watermarks on glass !
  • Register
  • Help

Default watermarks on glass !

Hi Crew

My beloved s16 has watermarks on the glass, particularly noticable on the sunroof. I always chamois it off after washing, but the previous owner may not have...damn him to hell!

So anyhoo, anyone got any hot tips on how to remove water marks? I've heard toothpaste is the go, but I'm not sure exactly how to use it!? Do you use it with a cloth, brush, applicator? Should it be used neat or watered down?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Cheers

Damo

Advertisement

Toothpaste or Brasso can work quite well. With the toothpaste, try a 50/50 paste/water mix at first, then if that doesn't work increase the proportion of paste. Squish on the paste to the glass, then mix with water. Use with a soft cloth.

I have had success with RainX minimising the problem if its hard water marks, it will not fix acid rain marks, that requires jewelers rouge and a buffer etc, and a pro will do a better job.

....Steelo pads?????.....seriously......Just make sure they R the soft ones (not stainless) with a bit of soap attached ( usually just a few cents)....remeber do not press hard (they can scratch)...just rubb over glass gently...use plenty of detergent (dishwashing is ok) as lubricant.....if you find this to scarey...use a green backed (ie plastic) scourers you wash dishes with....You can try toothpaste....its been known to work.....Autoglym has a fine GLASS polish...but not worth the money in my opinion....got to rub pretty hard for any results...plus its not that cheap.....reminds me of a girl I knew...but thats a differnt story...
    The other thing is to go to a pro and get them to polish it out....I wonder if local glaziers carry glass polishing compounds???...never really bothered to check.....

cheers

dino

Thanks for the help !!

Autoglym glass polish does a magnificent job!!! Worked extremely well on my windscreen!!! You won't be disapointed!!

if you ever had to keep clean the glass cooktop you would have dicovered Gel-Jax or some other gel/cream cleaner. Works wonders on glass shower screens as well.
    good luck.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

..run a razor blade over the glass surface at an angle, pretending you were scraping of a sticker. That's an old panel beaters trick.- Chris
    ... ptui!

[QUOTE=jester_fu]That thing with the razor blade is meant to be for overspray. I've never tryed it on water marks, but suspet it wont work.QUOTE]
    ... well it does, on both counts. Not here say either, used several times.
    ... ptui!

Quote Originally Posted by jester_fu
    Cool. I'll give it a belt next time. Sure would save having to buy some more chemicals! I just thought the water marks would be to smooth for the blade, but if you've used it, and it worked, it's certainly worth a try. Thanks, chris.
    cool,... just make sure that the blade is ultra sharp and that you wash the window too, not like me who forgot and had to do the whole winscreen twice -chris

ps, I must try some of those products though...
    ... ptui!

Thread Information