Oil(filter)s, ain't oil(filter)s....right Sol??
  • Register
  • Help

Default Oil(filter)s, ain't oil(filter)s....right Sol??

Wander into an auto accessory place and tell them you want an oil filter and they'll look in a book and come back with a Ryco or equivalent.
    Ask a Froggy mechanic for a filter for the car and they'll quote Purflux and tell you they are THE filter for French cars usually followed by a horror story or two about the guy who used another brand and stuffed his motor. Ask why and it's usually a case of "well it just does that's why!!" and no further explanation.
    Go to the same shop and tell them you want 5 litres of oil and they'll talk for hours on all the plusses & minusses of various grades and make ups but when it comes to the filter, most seem oblivious of the fact that filters have specs too.
    Out of curiosity today, I called into the distributor of a new brand of Oil filters made I think it's in Indonesia. FSA brand (I think it was) and did this due to having seen one cut open & it seemed to be extremely well made and sold for about a third of the price of Purflux.
    I asked which type I needed and was told that it was a certain model number which I questioned as I knew the equivalent in Ryco & whilst I was told none were in stock, the number that rang true to me was sitting there looking at me.
    A reference to a specification book showed that a filter to suit my car was a different number, but it looked the same so why?????
    It seems the one I thought was it (and I have been sold before) has a by pass valve pressure of 8psi; an earlier model car has one of 20psi and the correct one for my car was 30psi. In other words, if my oil pressure were to have any kind of obstruction which would cause the pressure to exceed 8psi with the wrong filter fitted, the by pass valve would drop into play and by pass the filter causing unfiltered oil to go through my engine

So remember next time you go to buy that filter that may seem a good buy; it could easily send unfiltered oil through the engine at the drop of a hat.....nice thought hey??
    Apparently most filter manufacturers have a specs book so it's worth seeing for yourself what these things do as I understand that some cheap filters don't even have this feature so if the filter blocks, it's good bye engine and........hellooooo Bank manager.

Alan S

Advertisement
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Bring back the washable permanent filters, say I...

You can still get them Ray. A friend of mine owns an Enzed and Filter Factory place and certainly has access to them.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

I just reckoned this might be an interesting topic to throw into the ring because we hear all too often about varying standards of filters and where I have been buying Purflux for about $6 a pop overseas, I've heard in France they are about =A$2.50 (in the supermarket would you believe) and some of the local $ervice $peciali$t$ out here are charging around A$30 for the same thing.
    I have heard genuine stories of engine damage caused by cheap filters, but it seems that with the technical knowledge of the required specs, there's no reason why we can't buy a filter of equal specs and quality for a fraction of the price.
    These I'm talking about are being used by some in competition engines so they can't be too bad if these guys are prepared to risk an expensive engine with them.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Bring back the washable permanent filters, say I...
    No chance of that, Ray. In these days of more and more dealer servicing (ie. less and less DIY) can you imagine them doing this?

I noticed that even the the new Holden Alloytec 3.6 V6 has the 'old style' separate replaceable paper insert, like I had on my Cooper S (and I think are coming back into vogue - BMW has them too doesn't it?). Supposedly eco-friendly as you don't throw a substantial steel canister in the bin every time, which I agree with. Bloody messy though...

At least with these, you can see what you're installing and I assume there's a separate bypass valve in the oil gallery of the car, rather than part of the filter.

BTW Alan, I'm sure I've seen FSA filters around for a while now.

Stuey

Well i agree with all that has been said but i think the C3/C2 oil filters are actually made out of paper o the inside and plastic outside.
    Not sure what these brands are actually.

pba
    Tadpole

Some years ago I put a can of Nulon (worn engine treatment) into my ID21 Safari at the same time as I replaced the oil and filter. I drove off for the leaking oil test, and after about a kilometre my oil pressure light came on. I stopped and checked the oil level - still full. I immediately returned home and relaced the filter and oil, this time without the Nulon. The oil pressure light went off at start up.
    My conclusion was that the oil filter was so fine that it filtered the Nulon and became clogged. If Nulon "works" with normal filters, I wonder what is going on! Does it mean that the filter goes into bypass mode? Is the Nulon coating the filter or those engine parts which are being lubricated?
    pba

Thread Information