Mercedes A class (Reindeer model) & C5 HDI
  • Register
  • Help

Icon5 Mercedes A class (Reindeer model) & C5 HDI

After our unfortunate experience of renting a new C5 HDI in England this year (it was a dud) , I am looking at other common rental cars in UK & Europe for next time.

Has anyone had any experience with the A class Mercedes? They are unpopular here but very popular in parts of Europe, especially Paris (but perhaps not Iceland ).

Advertisement

Any positive or negative feedback on these funny looking Mercs? I am scared off Citroen/Peugeot & would never trust a newer one to use on holidays again.
    So many projects - so little time.

Icon14

Quote Originally Posted by 604 tragic
    After our unfortunate experience of renting a new C5 HDI in England this year (it was a dud) , I am looking at other common rental cars in UK & Europe for next time.

Has anyone had any experience with the A class Mercedes? They are unpopular here but very popular in parts of Europe, especially Paris (but perhaps not Iceland ).

Any positive or negative feedback on these funny looking Mercs? I am scared off Citroen/Peugeot & would never trust a newer one to use on holidays again.
    Public transport is reportedly very good, or walking - good for the environment too

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger!

have you thought about a Renault Eurodrive lease? If you are there long enough, it's cheaper than a rental car. I would say the new Meganes or a Scenis should be ideal for driving around, esp a 1.9 diesel or something?

I've rented an A Class over in Europe , both the 1.4L engined model (underpowered when fully laden and on highways, good for city driving) and the 1.6 diesel (great economy and pulling power).

I was impressed with the versatile seats and also the amount of headroom and space in the cabin. Fuel consumption was ok in the petrol model and excellent in the diesel. Avoid the clutchless manual gearbox - it is a dog. Plastics weren't that flash, but since you are renting it wouldn't be a worry.

If you are traveling with a few people, make sure it is a LWB model. The shorter wheel base models had poor ride in the back , and more importantly , foot room wasn't that great. people with large feet would struggle to fit them under the front seat when sitting in the rear.
    + =

UFO

We had a Citroen Xsara Picasso 2l diesel in France for 21 days and it was, to put it bluntly, boringly reliable. I have written a full review that is to go into the CCC of NSW Mag soon so I will not put it here yet.

We had three adults and luggage in the car and it was fine. Never missed a beat and ripped along at autoroute speeds and used 6.5l / 100km.

Nothing went wrong at all and neither did the other Picasso and the normal Xsara or Berlingo in the fleet of four.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

.......should have asked old mate here, he's probably still got the VIN number of the C5 Hire car; might have really made the holiday experience for you.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by killer toad
    I've rented an A Class over in Europe , both the 1.4L engined model (underpowered when fully laden and on highways, good for city driving) and the 1.6 diesel (great economy and pulling power).

Avoid the clutchless manual gearbox - it is a dog.

If you are traveling with a few people, make sure it is a LWB model. .
    Thanks KT, thats exactly the information I was looking for.
    With the MB clutchless manual gearbox, well - the C5 auto (schitzodrive?) had its own share of problems - but I had better shutup in case I get further flamed!!

nJm

Did you want something of similar size to a C5? One of our members, Pug307 is currently driving around Europe in an Opel (Vauxhall) Vectra 1.8 GTS. He picked it up in Switzerland and has driven through Italy and France. He seems very happy with it.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the Citroen. An unreliable car is the last thing you want to worry about while on holiday overseas. Given how popular the Renault Eurodrive program is, I would hope that you might have a bit more luck with one of their cars (and the 1.9DCi engine is fab). As for the A-Class, well they have solved the roll-over problem There is actually a brand new A-Class out, although I don't know if it has made it to the rental companies yet.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by nJm
    Did you want something of similar size to a C5? One of our members, Pug307 is currently driving around Europe in an Opel (Vauxhall) Vectra 1.8 GTS. He picked it up in Switzerland and has driven through Italy and France. He seems very happy with it.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the Citroen. An unreliable car is the last thing you want to worry about while on holiday overseas. Given how popular the Renault Eurodrive program is, I would hope that you might have a bit more luck with one of their cars (and the 1.9DCi engine is fab).
    Thanks Nick
    I will check on Pug307 about the Vectra when he returns.
    But I have been thinking about Renaults, newish ones were everywhere in Southern England when we were there earlier this year.
    I must admit a fondness for Renaults as we owned a french racing blue R12 over 25 years ago. Fantasic everyday car & even taught my wife to drive in it (not recomended!!!) but it lasted and lasted. Traction was great especially in heavy snow, I never had to fit chains - unless made to - to get up to the car parks on Mt Buller, just drove slowly and the little 12 clawed her way to the top past all the expensive cars.
    With OS rental cars we always have automatics now as gear changing is one less thing to think about, last manual was a sweet 2CV.

Quote Originally Posted by 604 tragic
    Thanks Nick
    I will check on Pug307 about the Vectra when he returns.
    But I have been thinking about Renaults, newish ones were everywhere in Southern England when we were there earlier this year.
    Something like a Scenic would be quite good if you're looking for a Renault.

I was pretty happy with the Opel Vectra I had. I'd probably like a gear 2.5 for going through the mountains in Switzerland, especially when a poor old 1.8 had to work so hard to move a car at altitude.

Nicely hushed car, only had about 1500km at the start, rode nicely, full of fruit (auto wipers, dual zone climate, cruise, etc), very spacious, not bad on fuel (when you're paying $1.60-$2/litre this is important), didn't mind corners, just needed a bit more power in the hills. Sitting on the Autostrada at 130km/h was no problem at all. A very good choice for touring, IMHO.

I basically had the car for the price of a Megane. Unfortunately we had to dump the Megane at Zürich Airport, as it wasn't the car we were expecting and its funny bum proved to be a liability when loading lots of luggage.

Beware of the Eurodrive type programs though. They aren't necessarily the cheapest, have a look at what some of the rental firms can offer. The French manufacturer schemes make more sense if you really want to hire the car for a long time. Plus there is the benefit of having a nice new car.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Thread Information