bloody floormats
  • Register
  • Help

Default bloody floormats

This morning as I was driving to work in my mi16, I decided to take the scenic route & discovered this sweet corner, so I decided to make the most of it.

As I came out of the corner to shift from second to third, I put the clutch in & bam the gas pedal gets stuck, by the time I slowed down to set it free the engine had been bouncing off redline in neutral for near 10 seconds. arrgggh the damage. I found the cause was my floormat had slipped forward & covered the pedal... The engine seems ok. I thought it was going to blow-up.

This has happened to me on several occasions & only this time I decided to remove the mat, could have been very dangerous. If you have a mat make sure it's secured!

Advertisement

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

I have a similar problem wearing a pair of shoes that seem to have a large sole on them. Whenever I brake I find myself also pushing down the accelerator. I shudder to think how they would go in a 206GTi where the pedals are even closer.
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason20
    This morning as I was driving to work in my mi16, I decided to take the scenic route & discovered this sweet corner, so I decided to make the most of it.

As I came out of the corner to shift from second to third, I put the clutch in & bam the gas pedal gets stuck, by the time I slowed down to set it free the engine had been bouncing off redline in neutral for near 10 seconds. arrgggh the damage. I found the cause was my floormat had slipped forward & covered the pedal... The engine seems ok. I thought it was going to blow-up.

This has happened to me on several occasions & only this time I decided to remove the mat, could have been very dangerous. If you have a mat make sure it's secured!
    Oh my god! That is almost the exact problem I had about a month or so ago! Except with mine, I went to press the brake pedal, and the mat caused the accelerator to also go down. I quickly put the clutch in and lucky no cars in front so I released both pedals without it revving much. I threw out the cheap kmart mats that caused the problem and invested in some proper oem mats with those locking pins and which fit perfectly. No problem! 306 car mats Post 16.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Quote Originally Posted by jastanis
    Oh my god! That is almost the exact problem I had about a month or so ago! Except with mine, I went to press the brake pedal, and the mat caused the accelerator to also go down. I quickly put the clutch in and lucky no cars in front so I released both pedals without it revving much. I threw out the cheap kmart mats that caused the problem and invested in some proper oem mats with those locking pins and which fit perfectly. No problem! 306 car mats Post 16.
    I just got rid of the mat all together, I was going to screw it down to the floor there's no locking positions on the floor of my 405.

I just got rid of the mat all together, I was going to screw it down to the floor there's no locking positions on the floor of my 405.
    You don't need locking positions on the floor. I was tricked by that as well, but when I bought my 306 mats, they come with these pins. It's hard to explain but you press them into the carpet and they lever out to stop them from coming out. Don't worry they don't make any noticable holes in the carpet; they're about as big as a safety pin. Once in, they act as the locking pins and there is another part on the carpet side the locks onto them. It's quite clever.

- 306 gti6

are they genuine mats?

Quote Originally Posted by Reno
    are they genuine mats?
    Yup. Not cheap at over $100 though.

- 306 gti6

Fellow Frogger!

i have a similar problem, the heater in my 405 is currently not working, i just have to pull my finger out as its a very simple fix, so to combat this lack of a heater in mid winter and the windows wound down to demist windows, i rug up real good. my conclusion...

UGH BOOOTS AND CLOSE SET FRENCH PEDALS DON'T MIX!!!

Default matt secure

Yeah i have the same problems with big shoes clipping the accelerator pedal while going for the brake, which can cause some near miss situations. been thinking of a suitable workable solution for a while. (Any ideas??)

But onto the matts, I bought the peugeot branded matts (not cheap) I was certainly not going to throw them out. So, I went down the the Hardware store and bought some particularly thick velcro strips and stuck them to the bottom of the matts. Works wonders. Matts don't slip, they stay straight not bent and mangled, and the carpet underneath stays clean and relatively dirt free.

Icon10

I have a better option for my car to avoid expensive genuine mats..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bloody floormats-23837_pe108545_s4.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    I have a better option for my car to avoid expensive genuine mats..

Thumbs up to that

Fellow Frogger!

my r12 uses similar mats, but mine are green and loads uglier.

you reckon they make slimline ugh boots?

bouncing off redline in neutral for near 10 seconds. arrgggh the damage. :
    If it still has the original rev-limiter, then in theory it shouldn't have any damage, since that's the whole purpose of the rev-limiter. There's supposed to be quite a large factor of safety built in (providing the EFI is engineered properly -which you'd really think it would be).

In the old days they used to build a factor of safety in by fitting a carby small enough to restrict the breathing at high revs (e.g. it's really hard to ever reach the 8000rpm neccesary to blow up a 404 engine, with the standard restrictive single throat carby).

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Quote Originally Posted by davemcbean
    If it still has the original rev-limiter, then in theory it shouldn't have any damage, since that's the whole purpose of the rev-limiter. There's supposed to be quite a large factor of safety built in (providing the EFI is engineered properly -which you'd really think it would be).

In the old days they used to build a factor of safety in by fitting a carby small enough to restrict the breathing at high revs (e.g. it's really hard to ever reach the 8000rpm neccesary to blow up a 404 engine, with the standard restrictive single throat carby).

Dave
    If it's bouncing off rev limited in gear/under load I'd think it would be ok.
    But I had it in neutral. I'm not really too fused now, but straight after it happened I was a little worried. It was pretty nasty. When it's bouncing on rev limit in neutral its alot harsher & faster than when in gear.

Thread Information