Brands Hatch Indy Circuit best Driver cars..
  • Register
  • Help

Default Brands Hatch Indy Circuit best Driver cars..

This week's Autocar magazine (released today) is a special issue focused around a 25 page "Britain's Best Driver's Car" feature. It involved them taking their 20 best driver's cars available in Britain today and pasting them around the Brands Hatch Indy Circuit and giving them a brief road test on the surrounding road. The cars were ranked in order of which they found the most entertaining and exploitable on both road and track (so no Radicals or other such track only cars were included) but they didn't really take into account cost or practicality, only how much fun they were!

To answer some of those perennial 'Which is fastest round a track?' questions they set lap times for each car with BTCC driver Anthony Reid at the wheel. It all makes for some interesting comparison. Here are the lap times in reverse order:

Advertisement

Peugeot 407 SE 2.2 - 64.00 secs
    Mazda MX5 1.8i - 62.05 secs
    Megane RS 225 - 61.00 secs
    MG ZS 180 - 61.00 secs
    Honda Civic TypeR - 60.00 secs
    Clio RS 182 - 60.00 secs
    Merc SLK 350 - 59.00 secs
    MG SV-R - 58.40 secs
    Vauxhall Monaro VXR- 58.20 secs
    Lotus Elise 111R - 57.40 secs
    Aston Martin DB9 - 56.60 secs
    EVO VIII FQ 340 - 56.40 secs
    Lotus Exige - 56.20 secs
    Lambo Gallardo - 55.70 secs
    Impreza Type 25 - 55.50 sec
    BMW M3 CSL - 54.75 secs
    Vauxhall VXR220 - 54.70 secs
    911 GT3 RS - 54.20 secs
    Noble M400 - 52.60 secs
    Caterham SR500 Evo - 51.55 secs

what really surprised me is that the Clio 182 is faster then the Megane' RS... I m a little disappointed with the Megane’ RS how about you..
    Renault Sport Clio 172.

XTC

If only the Vauxhall VXR220 was here .... have you seen this puppy go .. amazing stuff.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    If only the Vauxhall VXR220 was here .... have you seen this puppy go .. amazing stuff.

- XTC206 -
    Elise with a turbo and an ugly face....
    Regards,
    Matt
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Imagine watching the entire French Air-Force crash into a fireworks factory. That's how much fun this car is."

Jeremy Clarkson - talking about the V6 Clio
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Damn , I knew the VXR220 was quick, but not quicker than an Exige.
    phwoar!
    + =

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by matt205
    Elise with a turbo and an ugly face....
    Didn't say it was pretty, but have you seen one in action ??? ... it creams the Elise in handling and power ... but rightly said, nothing is better looking IMHO then the Lotus ...

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Fellow Frogger!

Guys, I did the maths last night co-incidentally, based on the spec sheet found at Renault.com. I drive a Clio 172 and am not far of being certain of getting the Megane 225, purely for the fact that the Megane comes in a 5 door spec.

The 5 door 225 barely scrapped the torque and power to weight ratio ahead of the 172. If you include the increased power of the 182, the 225 would surely loose out. Also, the 5 door is 20kg heavier than the 3 door.

The only reason (I believe) the 225 is quicker on the 0-100km/h sprint is the turbo.

I also remember reading a brief preview in Car (I think) of the 225 and they said the 172 handled better than the 225, so current 172 owners might have to think about upgrading to the 225.

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    it creams the Elise in handling and power ... XTC206 -
    Really??? I've heard that Lotus did the suspension for the Vauxhall too, so I'd have thought that it wouldn't handle any better than the Elise.

That Vauxhall must have HUGE power/weight though, if it outpaced the Exige, considering all the aero work that's gone into the Lotus. I've got an Evo review between the 911 GT3 and the Exige over a twisty piece of road, and the porsche has the advantage in the straights and under brakes, but the Exige makes up ground in the corners.

RXE 2.0, was the track the full Indy circuit? A fast track like that kinda explains why the big horsepower cars had the advantage. Go the Mx5 though!

What the heck is in that Impreza type 25 to post a faster time than a 340 hp EVO VIII!? More importantly, why aren't these cars available here in Oz?

So out of a whole 20 best drivers cars currently available, the best from Peugeot was a diesel luxury sedan!!
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Quote Originally Posted by blue2th
    The 5 door 225 barely scrapped the torque and power to weight ratio ahead of the 172. If you include the increased power of the 182, the 225 would surely loose out. Also, the 5 door is 20kg heavier than the 3 door.

The only reason (I believe) the 225 is quicker on the 0-100km/h sprint is the turbo.
    Huh? If the car has a lower power/weight, why would the fact that it has a turbo be the reason it's quicker than another car with a higher power/weight?
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by jastanis
    Really??? I've heard that Lotus did the suspension for the Vauxhall too, so I'd have thought that it wouldn't handle any better than the Elise.
    The Elise is very neutral ... tending doward understeer (believe it or not) the Vauxhall you can get the nose to dig in and use the rear end to get you round the corners a lot faster (not to mention the grunt !!!) But I know which one I'd rather have .. bit like the GTi vs RCS ... one maybe quicker ... but again I know which one I'd rather have (for basically the same reason).

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Fellow Frogger!

What the heck is in that Impreza type 25 to post a faster time than a 340 hp EVO VIII!?
    The type 25 is a 2.5ltr boxer thumping out over 350BHP & 356lb-ft from what i have heard. actually if i remember rightly checkout:

type25

Icon6

RXE 2.0, was the track the full Indy circuit? A fast track like that kinda explains why the big horsepower cars had the advantage.
    No the Brands Hatch "Indy" circuit is NOT an America oval. It's the shorter circuit of the full GP track and is often used for lower formula and club racing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RXE 2.0; 30th July 2004 at 04:29 PM.
    Renault Sport Clio 172.

Fellow Frogger!

Jastanis,

the 225 is quicker on o-100km/h because the turbo helps it achieve the full power at lower RPM eventhough the power to weight ratio is lower than the RSC 182. that's what i was getting at...if it makes sense

its the RS.. we only get the 172 or 182 here in Aus.. the RS is 100kg lighter and it has tuned suspension.. that would explain the performance of it, it was driven by EVO mag and it put down 6.5s 0-100km/h..
    Renault Sport Clio 172.

Thread Information