Engine Oil Condition
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Engine Oil Condition

Just checked my oil...

Advertisement

After 3,000 city k's its perfectly clean!!!

Which is good/bad from what i can ascertain...

Good = well my engine aint drinking/burning oil after 17,000k's
    Bad = normally is should be black cause its removing carbon deposits (from burnin fuel) from the engine???

Does this mean its not removing the carbon deposits? or i just have none? (hard to believe?)

Also stopped using Shell Optish*t, maybe a large contributing factor?

Oh, & its that WONDERFUL Elf Excellium GP... good enuf to drink after 3,000k's!

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    Just checked my oil...

After 3,000 city k's its perfectly clean!!!

Which is good/bad from what i can ascertain...

Good = well my engine aint drinking/burning oil after 17,000k's
    Bad = normally is should be black cause its removing carbon deposits (from burnin fuel) from the engine???

Does this mean its not removing the carbon deposits? or i just have none? (hard to believe?)

Also stopped using Shell Optish*t, maybe a large contributing factor?

Oh, & its that WONDERFUL Elf Excellium GP... good enuf to drink after 3,000k's!

Thoughts?

Does anyone who owns a frenchie use optimax?

I have only had success with ultimate, admittantly an older froggie + lead replacement.

Others I have talked to have no had luck with optimax.

A mate swears by it in his merc though?

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

I sometimes wonder whether the discolouration in oils is crap coming off the inside of the engine or just simply the oil showing its age.
    My engines are usually very clean internally due to the regularity of the oil changes in fact a mechanic did some work on a F**d in the family that I have serviced regularly and at 256,000 klms reckoned it was cleaner inside than a lot of cars at 25,000 yet the oil always seemed to look like shit when it needed changing. Regardless of what the oil companies would have us believe, they put all kinds of weird stuff in the oils including colour dyes, so that may be another explanation.
    Be interesting to see if it darkens as it gets older.
    As regards the Optimax, I use it when I can get it as I am a couple of hours away from my nearest servo that stocks it; Ultimate I found exceptionally good in the CX for a while until I succeeded in getting a bad batch (not the first one I've copped from local BP servos) and lately I've found no difference between Ultimate and PULP apart from price, so I've gone back to using the old Caltex PULP; a lot cheaper, constant quality and easy to get.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Shobbz
    Does anyone who owns a frenchie use optimax?

I have only had success with ultimate, admittantly an older froggie + lead replacement.

Others I have talked to have no had luck with optimax.

A mate swears by it in his merc though?

shobbz

What problems do you have with it??????

Graham Wallis

1000+ Posts

My ex Skoda 120 with prehistoric combustion chambers and increased compression is my guide. It pinks a lot with UL, less with PULP, a bit less or about the same with LRP, a little less with shell ultra and almost no pinking with mobil synergy.(all on the same timing advance)
    JoBo

1000+ Posts

I generally run the Fuego on Optimax, but since I have been closely checking the # kilometres to the tank under different driving conditions. I have found that a fifty percent Optimax and fifty per cent Unleaded mix gives seems to give good performance and economy.

What Pees me off with optimax is the varying price difference it seems to run between 6 cents per litre (rarely) to 8cents per litre (often) and anything up to 11 cents a litre difference between the Unleaded price. In my view the latter is highway robbery and I would rather drive away than pay that!!

It does seem to keep the carby, pistons and plugs clean though, probably washes it through into the oil? On unleaded only or god forbid leaded, the Fuego runs poorly!!

Ken

It's stange that it hasn't blackened a bit, but not too strange. Have a look at www.bobistheoilguy.com if you're concerned.

I've had inconsistent results with Optimax, I only use Ultimate or Synergy now.

Tadpole

I think that the oil colour change is determined by several factors, one of which is the internal cleanliness of your engine. Assuming you use any top quality oil it will have a relatively high detergent content. I have had cars that using Mobil 1 synthetic the oil stays almost the same colour after 10,000 kms as when it was put in. On lifting the valve cover it looked like new under there. But I know if Mobil 1 goes into a dirty engine it will turn black very quickly. Diesels are another kettle of fish again. In my Citroen BX TZD, with a new oil and filter, the oil goes jet black in a few (say about 100) kms. This is due to soot in the engine that darkens the new oil.
    I don't think you have a problem - just a clean engine.

1000+ Posts

Diesel oils also have a higher detergent content.

Thread Information