Elf Oils...first impressions.
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Elf Oils...first impressions.

At the Brisbane FCD we organised for Onshore Oils to be there with Total/Elf oils.
    Probably the only downside to the engine oil range was the bloody 4 litre bottles as most Froggies take close to 5 with a filter.
    Today, I decided I'd do an oil change on the BX 16V so unveiled the bottle of Elf Excellum 5W40 that they had on special for $35 on the day. It's a full synthetic and supposedly exceeds all the latest specs.
    Screw off cap and it still has a seal on top of the neck that the user breaks as a guarantee nothing has contaminated it; impressive.
    Upon pouring, the first thing that strikes you is the smell. It smells like it should be getting used on a salad. Doesn't have that pungent "tractor workshop" smell so common with most oils.
    Appearance is a pale honey colour and if you get it on your fingers, man does it ever attach itself and is it ever slippy.
    Time to start up & see how it performs. Same old rattly hydraulic tappet....bugger!! I was hoping it may have at least done something to it.
    Leave engine run for a while and notice a very smooth quiet operation...noticeably better than the Mobil One I've been using.
    Leave engine cool down and return & start engine...hey, the rattly tappets have gone...here's hoping. Check dipstick; so clear I can't even see it on the stick without taking into the light and using a piece of paper towel to see the level.
    So far I am extremely impressed with it. Has anyone else tried it yet and if so, what are your impressions??

Alan S

Advertisement
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Alan

where can we from the south obtain some of this magic elixir
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

is total not the stuff that is reccomend by peugeot... you might try and see if you can't find this stuff at your dealership, elf oil won't be cheap though

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    is total not the stuff that is reccomend by peugeot... you might try and see if you can't find this stuff at your dealership, elf oil won't be cheap though
    'tis wher we can get it from....

pugrambo: they will transport it to you. In the past, we've had it sent via rail and I think it was TNT and the prices in bulk are so good it's worth the trouble.
    I have posted their price list in the past which as far as I know is still current.
    Can possibly post again if interested. Some of the guys in Sydney bought a batch a while back if I remember correctly; Nate???? organised it.

Alan S

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    'tis wher we can get it from....

pugrambo: they will transport it to you. In the past, we've had it sent via rail and I think it was TNT and the prices in bulk are so good it's worth the trouble.
    I have posted their price list in the past which as far as I know is still current.
    Can possibly post again if interested. Some of the guys in Sydney bought a batch a while back if I remember correctly; Nate???? organised it.

Alan S

sounds good Alan

if it's worth the effort to get it at the right price it sounds like it would be good for the 306

i wouldn't go through a pug dealer to get something due to their inflated prices they put on everything but if this oil is around the $8-9/L it sounds good to me
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Someone reckoned they charge around $23 a litre in Sydney for it.
    I'll forward on the e-mail I had from them so you know the prices and volumes required which aren't unreasonable.
    Works out much cheaper costwise if you go in with others though; that makes it REAL economical.

Alan S

1000+ Posts

I also bought a stack at the FCD and as yet have not put it in the car..it will go in the PIG205 ready for the next track day, i'll be interested in how it goes also.
    Mobil 1 is now at $63 so this stuff was worth a try. Heres hoping !!
    cheers jr
    jr20516v

Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. 205 GTi , Megane R26 LY , Megane 225 [modded ]

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Alan,

is this onshore oils your speaking of

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I asked about elf oils a lot but noone can give me any definitive answers on it...
    I dont want 20 litre drums of the stuff but i also dont want to pay if i have to 23/litre??

jr, you're lucky to get Mobil one for $63; up my way it's now between $68 on sale price to $85 off the shelf at corner servos.

Shane,

Yep, this is onshore I'm talking about.

Daniel, mate, you're between a rock and a hard place. The only way you can be accomodated is by finding someone bringing an order down your way or getting someone to "go in" with you on a bulk deal. If they were to send one can to you, by the time they packed it and shipped it there's a better than even chance it would end up getting busted and still cost almost as much as freighting 20 litres of the stuff in the first place/ One of the reasons we get it at the price we do is because they don't have to go to great hassles to consign the stuff off to us; as soon as it becomes a hassle, we lose the advantage of the price.

Alan S

Ive been using Elf oils in the Dauphine for about 2 years now, Im lucky enough to be sponsored by them for product so Im using Elf engine oil, gearbox oil and brake fluid.

Ive been very pleased with their products. Obviously it is a harsh environment in a race motor and not really comparable to a road car but they seem to last well

I started off using the full synthetic in everything but have gone to semi synthetic in the engine for a couple of reasons

1. I had very bad wear on the lobes of the first camshaft I used. I was never sure if it was the oil or a lack of hardening on the cam but a cam grinder here said he had seen this sort of thing before in pushrod motors running synthetic oil so he recommended running mineral oil.

2. I have had crankcase breathing problems (still do a bit) and the fully synthetic oil being thinner when warm seems to come out the braether pipes much more than the semi synthetic.

I note that Elf make a series of oils especially for historic race cars and all are mineral based

Ross

Thanks for the post Alan. Good to hear the results of the Elf. It is supposed to be a very good oil.

Daniel, Elf is becomming more and more readily available now. Paul V is using it instead of Penrite now.

Here is a thread a mate wrote on some oils, with the Elf coming out on top. http://board.performanceforums.com/f...eadid=67135896

WOW, what a coincidence.

I got my car serviced for the first time at AutoParis (top joint this one ) on friday.
    Anyway they top it up with Elf Super Sport 20-50 or something like that. I must say having taken it for a good spirited drive the following day i was VERY IMPRESSED. Engine Tempreture remained constant & the engine runs alot smoother. Im very happy with it.

Just out of curiousity what do peugeot dealers use for oil?
    Last edited by purrr-geot; 19th July 2004 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    jr, you're lucky to get Mobil one for $63; up my way it's now between $68 on sale price to $85 off the shelf at corner servos.

Shane,

Yep, this is onshore I'm talking about.

Daniel, mate, you're between a rock and a hard place. The only way you can be accomodated is by finding someone bringing an order down your way or getting someone to "go in" with you on a bulk deal. If they were to send one can to you, by the time they packed it and shipped it there's a better than even chance it would end up getting busted and still cost almost as much as freighting 20 litres of the stuff in the first place/ One of the reasons we get it at the price we do is because they don't have to go to great hassles to consign the stuff off to us; as soon as it becomes a hassle, we lose the advantage of the price.

Alan S
    Alan, can you please PM or email with the details as I'm also interested.

My email is [email protected]
    Thanks.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

1000+ Posts

Guys...

I got some here in Syd...
    OnShore Oils In QLD (do a whitepages search) has it...
    $240 for 24L, shipped via TNT to Syd was $282 (280 something).

I got some spare as my father decided to allow the dealer to put in Castrol XT 1030 (or some sh17), after making me get extra Elf for him!!! WTF???
    (oh, its a twin turbo B4) ARGH!

So PM me Daniel, as you're up the road! & we'll sort it out...

Thanks

Edit:
    oh, LOVE the stuff, car starts first time every time... no grumbles in the mornings either! smooth as (though its only a year old!)

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Interesting,

personally I've never found a difference in engine smoothness because I've used a different brand of oil. I would note any difference is quietness as Alan noticed.

I use 15-50 semi-synthetic in my cars. Given a bottle of shell helix is just under $25bux now at Big W it's not really worth me ordering down Elf oil.

BTW: Don't knock cheap oils, I've been running Castrol GTX2 in my old Cit's for as long as I can remember and have NEVER had an engine related problem.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts

Default cheap oils

i've used FUCHS 20/50 in my daughters Pulsar twice. Adjusting the valve clearance i was surprised at how clean the internals looked. About $20 for 5 literes
    JoBo

Fellow Frogger!

Ok Guys I was up at Autobarn in brisbane today and they have elf oils there, they do not have the full syn but had a semi syn for $25.

I was speaking to the guy and they said they will be trying it out and if it sells well will be getting more of the range in.

Not sure if its available at all Autobarns.

Cheers

I bought a couple of 4L bottles for Onshore oils for 40 bucks each. That was the normal price. They said I could buy as much or as little as I wanted. They only had 4L bottles and 200L I think. Said they are getting different sizes next time. Super nice people and will send em to wherever.

If anyone based in Melb is willing to go halves on a shipment from Onshore Oils (24L), I'm interested. I live in an apartment and don't have the space to be storing all that liquid gold.

I've used the Elf Synthese and SuperSporti before in the Clio, very happy with the sythetic stuff, can't really comment on the semi-synth as I just used it in the initial 3K km.
    + =

Toad,
    I'll go in with you on a shipment -PM me and we'll work out some details
    Road car :03 Monaco Blue RCS
    Which will replace the Datsun 180B SSS track car

farmerdave

Does the Elf agent or importer in Australia sell any bulk pack sizes other than 200L?
    It seems that the NZ agent is packing oil locally from bulk, I haven't asked them yet but the container of the 20l I bought on Saturday is NZ made
    20L is a useful size, and costs about $85 (S. Sporti 20-50w). Oh, and Renault specifies it (sound of rubber arm being twisted)

Farmerdave

Fellow Frogger!

i don't mind chipping in for the melbourne shipping too, let me do some home work and confirm my participation, as my service is due in a couple of months. i'm using shell helix ultra at the moment based on the service centre's recommendation.
    Last edited by blue2th; 26th July 2004 at 10:24 PM.

i am planning to buy 200L with some friends. The more the merrier. PM/email me if more interested.

Adam

i chucked some elf (was only a semi-synth) in the mi16 on saturday..

I was quite overdue for a service, so the poor car was actually getting quite rough, especially at idle.

With the new elf oil in it its amazing, the difference is almost as big as when i replaced my engine mounts...

car is totally transformed
    1992 mi16 1.9 litre - it's a love hate realtionship.

whatever you do NEVER tell anyone your car is reliable. doesn't matter how much wood you touch!

previous cars: peugeot 306xt, peugeot 205si, renault 20, renault 12 - sedan and wagon, renault 25, alfa 155 twin spark

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information