Dirt roads around melbourne
  • Register
  • Help

Default Dirt roads around melbourne

Hi,

Does anyone know of any good dirt roads within striking distance of melbourne? I know it perhaps isn't the best time of year to be cruising the gravel, but if anyone has an enjoyable dirt road section i'd be keen to check it out. I'm not too interested in some SUV rock hopping bash - just dirt, gravel and corners .

Cheers

Advertisement
    '93 405 SRi, Bomber spec (sans 1 x Hubcap, flogged steering, original shocks, clutch and brakes)

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by helmsman
    Hi,

Does anyone know of any good dirt roads within striking distance of melbourne? I know it perhaps isn't the best time of year to be cruising the gravel, but if anyone has an enjoyable dirt road section i'd be keen to check it out. I'm not too interested in some SUV rock hopping bash - just dirt, gravel and corners .

Cheers
    Preferably something wide, with sufficient run-off, so the helmsman can learn to slide his 'boat' on dirt..
    chuckb (1994 405Mi16)

Hedges would be handy too, so that when chuckb runs out of skill mid corner, he has something soft to cushion the Mi16 when it backs in. Wouldn't want that aero package being compromised.
    '93 405 SRi, Bomber spec (sans 1 x Hubcap, flogged steering, original shocks, clutch and brakes)

coles creek rd (off sylvia ck rd) is a good choice, but take someone else to block the end...
    205gti

Icon13 Dirt roads

You want to go hooning around on dirt and learn how to handle your car, Join a club and do autocross or motorkhana; Dont do it on public roads, and especially not ones that are used by the rally fraternity, you will get dobbed quick smart, not to mention the safety aspect.

I am gunna get another 403 on the road........one day

Fellow Frogger!

Was in Melb for the F1 back in march and while we where there done the great ocean drive on the way back we found a sweet dirt Rd, but bloody cant remember exactly where it was.

XTC

Mr Bern knows quite a few dirt roads, he's even done a writeup on one ... check it here..

http://206gti.net/grr/

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    Mr Bern knows quite a few dirt roads, he's even done a writeup on one ... check it here..

- XTC206 -
    that looks superb, im going to try it later this week i reckon!

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206

- XTC206 -
    Thanks - thats a pretty decent write up. I have done the Grand Ridge Rd, and its pretty good - a whole afternoon's fun. I seem to remember finding little detours - its good to see them listed in the write up.

May have to go down for another looksee sometime.

helmsman

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Ahhh, the old Mt St Leonards area huh? I spent quite a bit of time up there doing an honours thesis on the rocks (quite boring really). Got to know the tracks quite well up there and it's not bad for a bit of bush bashing quasi rally driving. Nearly came a cropper with a rental Corolla, fantastic!

The back of Gembrook is probably a bit better, out in Bunyip State Forest. Drier tracks and less hilly.
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Free
    Ahhh, the old Mt St Leonards area huh? I spent quite a bit of time up there doing an honours thesis on the rocks (quite boring really). Got to know the tracks quite well up there and it's not bad for a bit of bush bashing quasi rally driving. Nearly came a cropper with a rental Corolla, fantastic!

The back of Gembrook is probably a bit better, out in Bunyip State Forest. Drier tracks and less hilly.
    Thanks. I met up with a chuckb and we did Bessie Ck Rd plus Don Rd. Unfortunatly the 405 SRi was beached in favour of chuckb's Mi16. I'm sure the 8v would have owned the dirt sections.

Seriously though, the roads were pretty good, although visibility was hindered by reflections on the wet tarmac, and the Mi16 (with its fats) didn't like the deeper mud. All up the Mi16 is still quite a weapon even on the dirt. Any other GTi6 / hot peugeot people would probably enjoy the road, as long as they don't mind a bit of dirt.

Any of the GTI-6 guys up for a drive one afternoon sometime?

helmsman

Quote Originally Posted by helmsman
    Any of the GTI-6 guys up for a drive one afternoon sometime?

helmsman
    Why gti-6 people only, please dont discriminate you racist .

I think id be up for a good bit of off road cruising? For those that have seen my car after the drive on saturday i think i get a A+ for muddy decals.

However remeber people DONT USE AUSSIEFROGS TO ORGANISE CRUISE/DRIVES. If i didnt say it someone else would have so yeah, it sucks but its fair.

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Helmsman; not that keen on taking the old girl off road....however, rental cars are made for off road action! Do check out the back of Gembrook though, cut my L-plate teeth on those roads
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

I just kept heading north on Mickleham Road yesterday... finished up on a nice dirt stretch.

Of course, some of those trees would keep you honest...

Thread Information