Who says French cars rust badly......
  • Register
  • Help

Default Who says French cars rust badly......

I've just checked out this two year old Futura. Just under 40,000 clicks with lots of underbody surface corrosion. Sort of makes 25 year old French cars look good!

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who says French cars rust badly......-mvc-013s.jpg   Who says French cars rust badly......-mvc-014s.jpg   Who says French cars rust badly......-mvc-029s.jpg  

1000+ Posts

This is a known fault with these...my father-in-law's has just been treated under its extended warranty.

1000+ Posts

My boss (HUGE Ford MAN!) said "i bet its spent its life near the beach"
    "ANY car will rust near the beach, even if its galvanised & a 10year warranty against rust"

Where had the Futura spent most of its life?

Has anyone had cars near the beach (frenchies etc) that have been fine after years? Any newer ones?

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    My boss (HUGE Ford MAN!) said "i bet its spent its life near the beach"
    "ANY car will rust near the beach, even if its galvanised & a 10year warranty against rust"

Has anyone had cars near the beach (frenchies etc) that have been fine after years? Any newer ones?

It's only 2years old Oh well, we'd try to defend french cars to the bitter end too There's not really any excuse for rust like that, there's no way that galvanised, and I'm sure they'll be rejecting lots of 'rust' claims once the factory warranty is out. Besides how many people look UNDER there newish cars

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    The car had been country delivered, and had been serviced at the correct intervals in the book by the dealer. Other than the surface rust though, the car wasn't peppered underneath with rock damage, and credit to Ford paint the cars outer paintwork had held up well with no chips on the front of the car, you wouldn't really have picked it as a country car.

So while the car obviously seems to have spent some time at the coast, or at least driven somewhere salty, I'd find it concerning that the underside paint just seems way too thin to provide any reasonable protection.

Then again thick underseal isn't really the answer either. There was a 12 year old Fuego which had extensive rust which had started under the underseal......

1000+ Posts

I live less than 1km from the beach and my 29 year old R12 has NO rust in the floorpan at all. Neither does my wife's 7 year old Korean, though. However, the R12 does have some surface spotting on the body. Mind you, it literally gets salt crystals on the paintwork and windows after a windy day. And I NEVER wash it...

I repeat, it's a known fault with the AUII and possibly AUIII.
    Stuey

i lived 200m from the coasts edge and the 505 and 04 have been living there in the slat spray quite happily for the past 5od years now.. There was Daihatsu charade that had been coping the the same amount of sand, and needed a little bit under the window fixed.. thankfully my flat mate crashed that on me..

but no.. no drama's with rust.. .. .. yet.. ..

Long as you wash it once a week.. or at leat hose it once a week.. and hose it properly..

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Thread Information