Advanced Driver Training
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Advanced Driver Training

foreword : i wish i could moderate my own posts so i can delete the no doubtedly unwanted general crap that will be posted in this thread. Hence, since i cannot - is it possible for respondents to list driver training days that they know of, the state its held, what circuit/testpad, car, cost, contact and perhaps give them a rating.

an example would be :

Rally Experience - Extreme Driver Training
    http://www.extremedriving.net

Where: Cessnock, NSW
    Track : Dirt and Gravel

Cars are supplied : Toyota Sprinter, Subaru Imp WRX STi, Celica GT4
    Costs range from $495 to $3995

Share the Knowledge. PS. This is a selfish attempt to learn of some good Driver Training facilities in Adelaide.

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Funny, the Advanced Arrogance usually comes AFTER the Advanced Driver Training...

Are you specifically after off-road instruction or circuit based stuff?

If the latter, I've done the ones conducted by the J.Bowe school, they move around interstate and I think the S.A. ones are conducted at Mallala. BYO car.
    http://www.johnbowedriving.com/
    + =

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i must say that there should be more driving training after seeing two cars this weekend spin around in front of us

one of them was the left hand sweeper coming off the blue mountains just past lapstone and the P plater backed his crapi into the concrete barrier

i was far enough away from the fool to avoid him but as i looked at him his g/f was going off at him in a big way

they were ok and then he started the car up and drove off looking very battered in the back end

then turning into silverwater road this morning heading to the FCD we had another idiot spin around in front of us as we left the traffic lights and rounded the corner and nearly backed it into cars coming down the other side of the road

must be something in the water as it was coming dow from the sky on and off and the road had a wet look to it
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Quote Originally Posted by killer toad
    Are you specifically after off-road instruction or circuit based stuff?

If the latter, I've done the ones conducted by the J.Bowe school, they move around interstate and I think the S.A. ones are conducted at Mallala. BYO car.
    http://www.johnbowedriving.com/
    Killer toad, how did you find the JB training? (and which ones did you do?) Thanks.

Quentin, I checked out the JB link and I'm interested in doing the high performance course. There's one coming to Malalla in October 15th, it's about $365 and I'm looking at booking it pretty soon. I know it's not cheap but getting professional tuition usually isn't. Are you interested?
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Fellow Frogger!

Hey Jude,

I too have followed the link to the John Bowe Institute of Driving website and have since sent them an email. This correspondence was in regards to the HP course requiring previous participation in Safe Driver training or car club 'competition'. I mean we could pretend we're in a competitive car club

I simply stated that their minimum requirement course is not available at Mallala and requested some info into what else would suffice.

BUT HELLA YEAH im interested. I was looking at perhaps doing the High Performance Full Day which includes CAMS observed license testing. But i havent figured that out yet - that may be Victorian only too.

-Q. [whoooom]

---Edit--->

I'm not arrogant am I ? I have always seen myself as a considerate friendly guy that has been smacked around the head with the eccentric stick once too often.
    Last edited by XsaraVTS; 12th July 2004 at 03:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jastanis
    Killer toad, how did you find the JB training? (and which ones did you do?) Thanks.

Quentin, I checked out the JB link and I'm interested in doing the high performance course. There's one coming to Malalla in October 15th, it's about $365 and I'm looking at booking it pretty soon. I know it's not cheap but getting professional tuition usually isn't. Are you interested?
    Excellent day. The instructors really get the most out of you, the driver, and it is professionally run (i.e. not a recipe for disaster).

Book ahead, they tend to fill up. Ask for Dean, he usually handles the booking/admin stuff. I can give you a number/email if you wish? They also have spaces coming up on short notice (sometimes due to cancelations or track days planned at short notice).

I wanted to do the 'HighPerform' one but had to complete the 'Drive to survive' prior to this. If you have done an advanced driver course or have participated in motorkhanas/club level motorsport in the last 18 months (IIRC) you don't have to do the first bit.

I only intended to do it once, just for some instruction at high speeds, but it was such a blast that I've now been to a few. The instructors have all been excellent, and most race currently. There are a few pros such as Ritter, Jaime W, but they'll usually be focussed on the exotic cars attending. There is only about an hour of schooling out of the car and this consists of a blackboard session (30mins) and then familiarisation of the circuit, both very useful. The rest of the time is spent in and out of pit lane and the track doing laps.

I feel you get way more track time than at a club organised track day. They usually cost around the $160 mark and I would say I did more than twice the number of laps; can't give you a specific number of laps but around 210km average each time. Another thing I like is that the groups are not very large in number and so there is plenty of space when on the track. With group size, 22 is the max, apparently. The ones I've attended have been in low teens.

I've done a BMW course , wouldn't pay for it myself (at $1200 odd, calling it overpriced would be an understatement) but it was compliments of the dealer when buying a new car. When I was fresh on my Ps I did a young driver thingy through AAMI, compared to the stuff conducted by DECA and Bowe, it was fairly average but still very useful for me at the time. I feel that driver training courses are an important, but often overlooked part of road safety. A number of my family members have gone through these courses (but I'd probably be the only one that's focussed on the high speed stuff
    Last edited by killer toad; 12th July 2004 at 04:27 AM.
    + =

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by killer toad
    I wanted to do the 'HighPerform' one but had to complete the 'Drive to survive' prior to this. If you have done an advanced driver course or have participated in motorkhanas/club level motorsport in the last 18 months you don't have to do the first bit.
    So it is obvious they want you to do the 'Drive To Survive' course first. And since they don't offer one themselves i have found Murcotts driving excellence that only offer their 'Defensive Driver Training' in SA. So unless i find other means to skip this test (i should do it anyway) it looks like i'll have to do both.

-Q.

Oh yeah, probably not relevant to you , XsaraVTS & jastanis, but if you can get a group of 14 together, it could be an all French track day!
    They organise private group bookings as well. I've mentioned it to a couple of the RSC owners here in Vic, and there has been interest from the Sydney mob - perhaps rendezvous in Canberra?
    + =

Quote Originally Posted by XsaraVTS
    Hey Jude,

I too have followed the link to the John Bowe Institute of Driving website and have since sent them an email. This correspondence was in regards to the HP course requiring previous participation in Safe Driver training or car club 'competition'. I mean we could pretend we're in a competitive car club

I simply stated that their minimum requirement course is not available at Mallala and requested some info into what else would suffice.

BUT HELLA YEAH im interested. I was looking at perhaps doing the High Performance Full Day which includes CAMS observed license testing. But i havent figured that out yet - that may be Victorian only too.

-Q. [whoooom]

---Edit--->

I'm not arrogant am I ? I have always seen myself as a considerate friendly guy that has been smacked around the head with the eccentric stick once too often.
    I've participated in club competition before, but it wasn't in my pug and it wasn't within the last 18 months. If they advise a driver training course beforehand, it's probably for a very good reason and I'd suggest it would be very worthwhile attending that. I've heard about the Murcott ones, I rang them up a while back..they hold it at Pt Wakefield rd track. Don't know how good or expensive they are. A friend of mine in Sydney did a course with Ian Luff and has a couple more booked for later in the year and he said that course was excellent. There are heaps of driver training courses in NSW and VIC, but bugger all in SA. Lord knows most Adelaidians need the training!

Nah I don't think you're arrogant mate, but you're definitely eccentric!

- 306 gti6

1000+ Posts

...just 'avin' a go at your comment suggesting people were going to post a load of crap on your thread. So I did, so as not to disappoint...

Hey Jude / Quentin,

I did a course at Mallala last year with J.B. (was a drive day with Ford - something I won through Motor magazine) Was brilliant - I'm looking at sigining up for the 15th of October - anyone else interested?

EDIT: OK - I decided to book it anyhow... If anyone else is looking to go along will be good to have someone else there! Maybe we should all head along and have a froggy convention there?
    Last edited by gti138; 12th July 2004 at 10:55 PM.
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Quote Originally Posted by gti138
    Hey Jude / Quentin,

I did a course at Mallala last year with J.B. (was a drive day with Ford - something I won through Motor magazine) Was brilliant - I'm looking at sigining up for the 15th of October - anyone else interested?

EDIT: OK - I decided to book it anyhow... If anyone else is looking to go along will be good to have someone else there! Maybe we should all head along and have a froggy convention there?
    Mike, I'm definitely interested. The only thing stopping me from booking it now is I checked and the 15th falls on a weekday so I'll have to make sure I can get leave approved for then. Shouldn't be a problem though. I'll also call the J.B people to confirm about specifics of their pre-requisites for doing the high performance course.

- 306 gti6

Mike, I'm definitely interested. The only thing stopping me from booking it now is I checked and the 15th falls on a weekday so I'll have to make sure I can get leave approved for then. Shouldn't be a problem though. I'll also call the J.B people to confirm about specifics of their pre-requisites for doing the high performance course.
    Oh I just booked it. I'll worry about the day off later - but since I do the rosters I think it could be easy to organise The 15th is a Friday so just call in sick for the Long weekend When I did the course at Mallala last year (i think - was just after the launch of the ba falcon) I dealt with a guy by the name of David Cuff who was the director at the time. When I spoke to him he reckoned i'd be ok to do the advanced driver course after the drive day I did there. I've done a couple of others - a drive to live course at Adelaide International Raceway & one thru the RAA when I got my P's So hopefully i'll still qualify
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!

Fellow Frogger!

I bet you're regretting taking all those sickies recently

Fellow Frogger!

Would competing in hillclimbs qualify me?

don't laugh about the 14 cars by the way. We get 5 regulars and a few more have joined the 'keen' list since then for drive days. that doesnt include the many RS owners we can drag along (for numbers only )

Quote Originally Posted by LeighO
    Would competing in hillclimbs qualify me?
    Yeah I cant see why it wont - give them a buzz and find out

I just had a phone call from the John Bowe institute of driving. I'm the first booking for the day in October - So If your interested register with them sooner rather than later and the day will go ahead!

Cmon - you know you want to - *looking at Jude, Quentin, Leigh and anyone else in Adelaide*

1000+ Posts

I've done the Ian Luff Stage 1 & 2...
    Held in NSW @ Oran Park (sth of Campelltown)
    Cost: approx $300 ($200 for the 1st, $270 for the 2nd)

1st course: basic driver training, in the RSC it was a bit dull, ABS ==> steer, ABS ==> steer, ABS ==> steer... not all that challenging!
    2nd course: skid control! get it all pear-shaped & get yourself out of it! Great fun! really worth it & definetly teaches you a lot about your cars dynamics etc...

All done with your own car too!

I'll be doing the stage 3 course sometime... its about $330...
    its all on the track & focuses on "performance driving skills"

Score/rating?
    1st Course 5/10 (after 7 years of driving i pretty much had these skills already, but its mandatory)
    2nd Course 9/10 (loads of fun!!! & learn soooo much)

Overall i'd definetly recommend every driver attend the 1st 2 stages or equiv!

Quote Originally Posted by LeighO
    I bet you're regretting taking all those sickies recently
    Yeah tell me about it! Though even if I hadn't been sick and forced to take those sickies, I'd never consider taking a sickie to go hammering around a racetrack......................................... .................................................. .................................................. ...............................................

You getting the quaife diff btw Leigh?

- 306 gti6

Fellow Frogger!

Dear fellow SA Aussiefroggers,

I have been away for a few days and have just got back. In checking my email the following is a reply from the John Bowe Institute of Driving and its recommendation that I do this other Drive to Survive course to be eligible for the High Performance course in October.

The second problem will be getting leave from the Assembly Line. But a sickie may have to be organised if leave is refused. I'll just have to get a doctors certificate saying i came down with a bad-bad case of car-sickness.

In the next 5 minutes i'll be booking in to both of these courses.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Sammut
    Quentin,

We have an associate in SA who provides the Drive to Survive course (its called something different but content is the same) so you can use them. The details are;
    Drive to Live, ph: 08 8370 7999, email: [email protected], refer: Sera Ellis or Tony Hastings.

Let them know that we have referred you on to them. After completing their course you will have many of the skills to expand upon at the High Performance course. This will allow you to get the most out of the HP course safely. Let the other people in your club know about it also and get them to book early as other clubs are showing interest and are likely to book large numbers. I can hold a spot on the course for you if you want me to.

Dean Sammut
    Instructor, Office Manager
    THE JOHN BOWE INSTITUTE OF DRIVING
    PS. Hopefully the Quaife ATB Differentials will be installed by then ???

-Q.
    Last edited by XsaraVTS; 15th July 2004 at 05:30 PM.

Dear fellow SA Aussiefroggers,

I have been away for a few days and have just got back. In checking my email the following is a reply from the John Bowe Institute of Driving and its recommendation that I do this other Drive to Survive course to be eligible for the High Performance course in October.

The second problem will be getting leave from the Assembly Line. But a sickie may have to be organised if leave is refused. I'll just have to get a doctors certificate saying i came down with a bad-bad case of car-sickness.

In the next 5 minutes i'll be booking in to both of these courses.

PS. Hopefully the Quaife ATB Differentials will be installed by then ???

-Q.
    I did the Drive to live course a few years ago - it's not too bad - just a bit of brake, swerve stop - that sort of thing. Glad to see your going to get out on a limb and do both!

Michael.

anyone know a good advance driving school in melbourne?

Thread Information