French car day preparations
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default French car day preparations

Hey guys, i thought i would give us a thread where we can talk about how our preparations for the FCD are going, all the dramas and success.
    Well today i emptied a whole can of degreaser into my engine bay, let it soak for about 1/2 an hour and then hosed it out, looks a little cleaner in there, but still looks like its 18 years old.
    The amazing thing though is that after drowning the thing in water it still started first go!!

So tell me people how are your cars going? anyone doing last minute repairs or anything before the weekend??

Also, give everybody an idea of what car your bringing!!?
    (I'm bringing the Bx obviously)

Dave

Advertisement
    Last edited by Dave; 8th July 2004 at 06:38 PM.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

well yesterday i changed the heater tap for one that wasn't cracked

other than that i might run it through a car wash when we get to sydney to take some of the dust off it

that's about all really

i'll park it in the everyday used aussiefrog car section

it's generally clean but it is also an everyday car

of course i am talking about the 604 here that we will be taking along

p.s i bought some film today so is that counted as preparation ????
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    p.s i bought some film today so is that counted as preparation ????
    Eek, that reminds me i betta charge some batteries for the digi cam and clear out the memory card!!

Dave

I'll be spending Saturday washing and cleaning the 6 .

I've also promised the father-in-law that i'll wash his car as well, cause the poor ol' bugger has done his back in.

Plus charge the batteries and clean the mem card and sort the cd collection in the car.

Thats all

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila. - Mitch Radcliffe

Any brisbane people????

I've just gotta wash my Bx, and maybe my dads car.. i think hes also bringing a Bx this year (cuz he took the Cx wagon last year). And crack the whip at kenny to wash his Ax
    Anyone got any home recipies for tyre shine/armourall type stuff???

Dave

Well, I'm into the usual last minute rush.
    Fitted a new pinion seal kit and hardydisc, new centre muffler and now find the flange gasket is skew whiff so will have to remove the exhaust and refit.
    Fitted a couple of front spheres regassed a pile for the rear only to wake up that I'd fitted a couple of fronts to the rear after we'd blown then to 40 bar so they will come in handy for the sprints later in the year.(Stop it sinking in the assend when launched)
    Got a split CV boot so it will have to wait and I have a power feed happening that causes the odd flat battery.....................apart from that; all is well...Oh forgot to ad that hon#1 son also has just informed me he's off to Fraser on Saturday & won't be back on the mainland until about 8.30am which means he'll be pushing to be at UQ before 12.30

So, situation normal. (ie) Chaos

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Sounds pretty normal Alan, so how many 16Valves are you bringing, i'd like to have a bit of a lookie at one if i catch you near your car

Dave

May as well add my saga

My front end is playing up again, I have no idea why but there is a clunk some where and more vibration at the steering wheel than yesterday, lets just not go there.

My battery finally died yesterday night, which was unsurprising as I have been waiting for that to happen for a while, and the spare battery i have does not seem to fit as well into the battery thingy as the last one, the fun.

I thought I might replace some of my door seals a few days ago. In the process I also broke some of those little plastic thingy's that hold the metal rods that accutuate the linside door handles. I am going to somehow manufacture a solution tommorrow.

Whilst also doing the seals, I was trying to get the drivers side door off. The Two screws won't budge, and have become quite burred, despite efforts to remove them with lubrication/soaking and an impact driver

On the warpath I decided to see If an old bonnet support would work on my car. It doesn't and I haven't put the old one back on again.

I have lost the key to the fuel cap in the above maddness so I am currently filling my car by pouring fuel directly into the tank. People looked at me strangely at the servo as it appeared as if i was pouring petrol into my boot

I lubricated my handbrake cable. This actually worked!!!! So now my handbrake cable is nice and smooth, and the possibility of the cable getting stuck is also reduced. Currently trying to make some sort of dust boot for the caliper end of the cable.

One of my door interior pannels is also comming apart, the mdf board on the back has broken off so another thing to fix.

As fr degreasing, don't shoot me but i use.......... BRAKE FLUID on the car body inside the engine bay. I lost the top layer of pait, but it looks a damn lot better than it did previously. The engine is pretty clean allready so no probs there.

Am thinking shoe polish for the tires

I think that my playing around in the engine bay cleaning it may have disturbed something causing a ground leak somewhere, Electrics have been playing up ever since, may, though unlikely have caused the rapid decrease in battery life.

There is a lot more but it really becomes depressing

ahh the pug is a strange beast

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Sounds pretty normal Alan, so how many 16Valves are you bringing, i'd like to have a bit of a lookie at one if i catch you near your car

Dave

All going well, my series two and about midday, the series one should turn up.

Alan S

Great, i was a bit dissapointed last year; there was only my car and an old 16trs there
    Be good to see a couple of 16V's there,

Dave

As i have never been to FCD before, how many cars are expected at the Sydney display and what time is the day going to finish???

Cyas Stalled
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Great, i was a bit dissapointed last year; there was only my car and an old 16trs there
    Be good to see a couple of 16V's there,

Dave
    Are you sure you went to the right place? I was there with my C-matic but the only BX I saw was a green one that was leaving as I arrived. A friend of ours was there in a red TZi auto but didn't go into the display.

Alan S

Nah i must have been in the wrong place
    haha, i've got photos from 2002 and 2003 of my car in the display. I was near a red 16V in 2002, but didn't see any other bx's other than the trs in 2003.

Dave

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

news to hand

i wiped the dash down on the 604 tonight while i down the street so that's a bit more cleaning done

the car is all fuelled and watered up for the trip (even threw a little redex in the tank for good measure)
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    news to hand

i wiped the dash down on the 604 tonight while i down the street so that's a bit more cleaning done

the car is all fuelled and watered up for the trip (even threw a little redex in the tank for good measure)
    Take it easy mate, dont wanna work yourself to death or anything

Quote Originally Posted by STALLED
    As i have never been to FCD before, how many cars are expected at the Sydney display and what time is the day going to finish???
    Anyone, it would help heaps!

Cyas Stalled

Icon6

Well my plans to bring the BX16valve were foiled today, the little beasty is at the Bump Shop having some minor panel work done, should have been ready to pick-up tomorrow buuttttttt..... had the dreaded phone call today to go out and check out some rust they've found under the rear bumper it's not at all bad but the car won't hit the paint booth tomorrow.

So, I guess I'll have to spend the best part of Saturday cleaning up the XM "Not happy Jan"

Brisbane's day out at UQ should be great, we have a few surprises

Stalled, not sure when things wrap up in Sydney, we tend to shut up shop around 2:00ish

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Ahhh ok cheers greenblood! Anyone else with some info on the Sydney day???

Cya Stalled

Quote Originally Posted by STALLED

Cyas Stalled
    It really finishes at what ever time you want to go home. They plan on announcing the winners of the day about 3pm.

Generally early to mid afternoon people heading off.

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila. - Mitch Radcliffe

hey dave,

I'm going to wash the 205 and thats it, its not pretty with a cracked bumper and some trim missing from the side. But hey its not a show car its a drivers car! See you on sunday

Cheers Nick
    Auckland NZ -
    2000 Peugeot 406 Coupe, Dark Green.
    2001 Renault Clio Sport RS, Silver.

Brisbane Aus -
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi, Light Blue.

Quote Originally Posted by briz205
    hey dave,

I'm going to wash the 205 and thats it, its not pretty with a cracked bumper and some trim missing from the side. But hey its not a show car its a drivers car! See you on sunday

Cheers Nick
    See you there champ

Dave

i am taking a dusty car there...

no real preperations...

At the moment my car is covered in an inch of dust, has race numbers on it and only 1 seat and seatbelts in it.

And its still at the mechanics from being dynoed yesterday.

So between now and Sunday I have to pick up the car, wash it, take off the race numbers, put in another seat and another seatbelt.

EMC

well 1/2 of my car has been polished (i've been sick this last week, so not much has been done)

unfortunately the rust hasn't been cut out yet, Mr Rustman (that's his name...litterally) couldnt come this week, so its all happening next week (dents fixed too).

apart from that... just a vacuume of the inside... and she's all ready to go ^_^
    1979 Peugeot 504 GL

I dont think the AX will make an appearance, but i shall be there

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information