Petrol
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Petrol

Fellow Frogger! Inspector Clouseau's Avatar

Default Petrol

I suspect this might generatye some debate:
    A former army aircraft mechanic blew my concept of the various petrols completely out of the....sky yesterday.
    I think this is the summary of his theory- octane is purely a measure of the anti-knock quality of petrol. A petrol that has more octane has less heptane and heptane is what generates the power. So standard unleaded in a motor properly tuned etc should generate more power and efficiency than a high octane petrol.
    Is this so? Does anyone have any info?

Advertisement

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Yep,

this is correct. Higher octane only prevents knocking. If you have a high compression motor or turbo'd motor, sure you can get lotsa power out of it on standard petrol, you'll also hole a piston if it pings to badly .... Like everything it's a comprimise.

eg: i seem to recall deisel actually has the capability of making more power than the same amount of petrol

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Octane rating is of course the likelihood a fuel will detonate, LP gas is 110 Octane in Victoria, that’s why my turbo 505 runs on straight gas. I can wind up the boost on a standard compression motor and more than compensate for the lower energy or heat value of Gas in comparison to Petrol.

A low octane high energy fuel will not work well in a high compression motor, detonation will rob power and eventually damage the engine.

Higher octane allows you to increase compression and/or turbo boost and derive more power. It’s a fact though that engine power is also proportional the energy value of the fuel and that the energy value of a fuel is not directly related to octane rating.
    OddfireV6
    504 V6 24V, 203

1000+ Posts

Higher octane fuel actually burns more slowly than lower octane fuel.... Knock happens when the pressure peaks caused by pre-ignition move faster than the speed of sound.

They've actually both got very similar energy per litre - premium is a liitle bit more dense and therefore stores more energy per litre, but only a tiny bit.

Stuey

Thread Information