Continental Tyres?
  • Register
  • Help

Icon1 Continental Tyres?

Has anyone heard of this brand and are they running them. I know they are good or they look good anyhow?
    Maybe lincoln might know something about them?
    What european branded and manufactured tyres are for sale in Sydney?
    There was a tyre from the eastern block but not sure of the name of it?

Advertisement

Barum?

im pretty sure youll find contis on most porches as oem...

does that tell you much about their quality?

..e!

That's hardly saying anything...

The sizes, for a start, would be different... and the purpose for which the tyre is built. Additionally, there are ranges within the maker's list of products that differ markedly.

That said, I think Mercedes-Benz used to use Contis as one of their OEM suppliers.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    That's hardly saying anything...

The sizes, for a start, would be different... and the purpose for which the tyre is built. Additionally, there are ranges within the maker's list of products that differ markedly.

That said, I think Mercedes-Benz used to use Contis as one of their OEM suppliers.

yes they did and i know that as i used to grab the 1/2 used tyres from the local tyre place for the 403 and he always kept the 195/65/15's aside for me and we used to have a good chat about what had what as original equipment

as for what they were like then................

well they went around and seemd to be ok but not a tyre i would pay dearly for when there is better value for money elsewhere

daniel, can't you find any french made tyres for your car ?????
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

I know the conti's are OEM fit to the Focus ST170. So Lincoln should know something about them. I spent a day with a Focus ST170 amongst other things on a race track and they felt quite good to me....
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Yep, I'm running Continentals.

Daniel, they're a major brand, with the ContiSportContact and ContiSportContact2s being very good tyres. The lower range of tyres are decent, but maybe a bit overpriced in this market. If you're looking at chosing them for your C3, I'd be looking elsewhere.

I'm very happy with them, they have great grip when warm and even better when hot. Best tyres I've ever experienced, that's for sure.

Tadpole

I had some ContiSport Contacts on my old 180SX. They were pretty nice to drive on decent grip level, comparable to a Dunlop SP 9000 in most ways.

Icon1

lincoln when u say look elsewhere what does that mean?
    I might be a bit dense but why.Dont they make them to fit C3?

I have continentals on both my AMG C36 Merc and my 406 V6. The 17 inch Conti sport Contact 2s are fandamtastic as they should be for $1800 a set for the Mercedes, they have been OEM on a few AMG models although my car had Bridgestone SO2s as OEM .

In respect of the more humble 205/60*15s on the 406 V6 I now have V rated Conti-Eco’s, these were about $200 and so I purchased these and they performed as well as the European made V rated Michelins that were on the car from new. New V rated Michelins were quoted at $280 at the time, an outrageous amount of money for what cannot be considered a performance tyre.
    OddfireV6
    504 V6 24V, 203

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    What european branded and manufactured tyres are for sale in Sydney?
    What! They don't have tyre retailers in Sydney?? No rain, no Euro tyres, what next!!

http://www.tyres4u.com.au/frame_view...link_id=80.677

Dad had a BMW 1800 30 odd years ago, that had Continentals on too, so they certainly are a known brand tyre in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    lincoln when u say look elsewhere what does that mean?
    I might be a bit dense but why.Dont they make them to fit C3?
    It means, for your size car and your style of driving, I would be looking at other better value brands. Eg, Dunlop 300Es.

Had cheapo Continentals on the clio 1.4 i drive. Absolutely pathetic. Had a 205 si with budget Michelins and could throw it through a certain corner with no loss of grip. The first week i had the clio, hoiyked it through the same corner, bucket loads of understeer (thing stepped out two metres), locked up and left a fat skid mark 3 inches from the median. I don't find comforting because the car has ABS. That's probably not a fair call as ABS doesn't work on a lateral plane but it gives some indication of how poor the tyres are. At Renault, the budget clios i've seen come with either budget Conti's or budget Michelins. Definitely get the Michelins.
    Otherwise alright on a dirt road. Average in the wet. Last for ever.

1000+ Posts

Daniel, Continental has been around since cars had wooden spoked wheels. Loads of Euro cars have used them as OEM fitment over the years.

Surely you haven't worn out the tyres already?

Stuey

Tadpole

Icon3

Not only that but they do make excellent BICYCLE tyres! and I think their origins as a manufacturer go back about that far. (As do Dunlop's, and Michelin's.) Take a close look at the Tour de France coverage and you'll see the brand name. Perhaps a set of glued-on silk tubulars would suit a C3?
    They are very low on unsprung weight, and tres responsif!

Le jest aside I'd say GTI 124 has it right - good tyres but perhaps locally overpriced.

Yep, I'm running Continental GP 3000s on my road bike. Run Michelins on the other bike. Will be running Michelins on my next road bike. GP3000s are very nice tyres though.

Vittoria are probably the nicest bike tyres you can get though. Rek would agree

Fellow Frogger!

can't say as i agree with Gti124 on the Vittoria call. i still maintain the Panaracer Smoke and Dart are two of the greatest bike tyres of all time, but currently i have an IRC rear and an Intense Comp40 on the front. though in a different category this is probably a better tyre than the paneracer.

Have you ridden on an Open Corsa CX? I can't believe Panaracer would be up there on the list, you have to be joking. It's like saying a Goodyear Eagle Ventura is as good as a Continental ContiSportContact2, they're just not in the same league. Sure they're both performance oriented tyre, but I know which would be nicer to drive on.

Fellow Frogger!

very different terrain up here where i ride.
    the panaracers were perfect for my terrain and style when i rode them, but that has obviously changed as now i'm using IRC and Intense.

I'm talking about road tyres, by mentioning terrain I assume you're talking MTBs. I didn't even think Vittoria would lower themselves into the muck of that market.

Tadpole

Default the name rings a bell

Hi Ray,

Are you Jim Bell the surveyor in Harden-Murrumburra's brother? Its just that your address caught me eye as I know Jim and like his taste in cars appart from his Austin Freeway.

Cooch from Cootamundra.

Continental have a new tyre out the ContiCompetition R Spec, I'm told they have grip approaching Yoko 032 but wear more like the Falken Azenis ie they last better than most R spec's. Limted sizes though, they do come in a 195/55/15 for you S16/GTi-6/MI-16 owners.

I've driven quite a few cars lately with Conti's and I've been impressed with them, but we are talking performance not budget tyres. I'll be putting ContiSport 2's on the Audi soon.
    Regards,
    Matt
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Imagine watching the entire French Air-Force crash into a fireworks factory. That's how much fun this car is."

Jeremy Clarkson - talking about the V6 Clio
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

moosey

Bluey, I had a set of the aforementioned Michelins on my 205Si back in 93. Sort of OK in the dry, but show them a drop of water and look out! Not nice at all. No grip whatsoever - akin to driving on ice hockey pucks! I replaced my factory rims and tyres with aftermarket 14's and 175-60 Falken (FK06G, if my memory serves me well?). Major improvment. My current Clio Sport has Michelin Pilots on it - in a different league...

Thread Information