Thinking Of Selling.
  • Register
  • Help

Default Thinking Of Selling.

Iam thinking about trading in the RCS

Iam looking at the new Audi S3/A3 V6 Alfa 147 GTV and the VW R32.

So far ive driven the Alfa and the VW and i like the Alfa better as the suspension doesnt require you to clench you *moderated* like in the R32. Even thoe the R32 and the Audi have the same engine iam hoping the Audi will be abit more refined. Is there any other cars in that class that are worth looking at?? In that price bracket?

Grant.

Which i could have one of those at the moment!!

Advertisement
    Last edited by Foxman; 7th July 2004 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxman
    Iam thinking about trading in the RCS

Iam looking at the new Audi S3 V6 Alfa 147 GTV and the VW R32.

So far ive driven the Alfa and the VW and i like the Alfa better as the suspension doesnt require you to clench you *moderated* like in the R32. Even thoe the R32 and the Audi have the same engine iam hoping the Audi will be abit more refined. Is there any other cars in that class that are worth looking at??

Grant.

Which i could have one of those at the moment!!
    not that many hatches out there with a v6 powerplant...if you can get your hands on a clio v6 that would be something to consider...

but if you're looking at cars from the 60-70k bracket i would strongly consider the new EVO's but they are very hard to get a hold of...

The Audi has a 1.8 Turbo, not the V6.

Maybe a JCW Cooper S? My brother just picked one up and is absolutely stoked with it - more fun factor than those ones? From what I've read, the R32 is very capable, but not hugely grinworth, if ya know what I mean. I think the Alfa still has some build quality issues, and being an alfa, if something goes horribly wrong down the track, you could be up for some serious $$$$$$.

Warwick will be able to offer some good advice here I'd guess, he does like his alfas, and I remember him trying to impart some wisdom on german cars on a few occaisions.

Macquered - I believe Audi are bringing out a new S3 with a 6 in it! Golf in drag I say.

A BMW 325 would probably be on the fringe of that price class, no doubt options may take it over. Then there is the Mazda RX8 and Nissan 350Z, which may also be contenders depending on your driving preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by macquered

The new Audi a3 has a 3.2 litre V6 same engine as the golf R32 the S3 old model has the 1.8 t.

Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    A BMW 325 would probably be on the fringe of that price class, no doubt options may take it over. Then there is the Mazda RX8 and Nissan 350Z, which may also be contenders depending on your driving preferences.

The BMW is nice but by the time you get the sports seats suspension etc etc the price goes out of my limit. The mazda is a bit big for what iam after i think id buy the Audi A4 befrore that. The nissan is a nice car want to go test drive one soon.

As for the mini jcw i don't think its worth the money for what you get.

Grant.

1000+ Posts

Where did you get those figures from?

The 3.2 V6 IS available in the new A3 but at $75300 there are a LOT of other cars I would choose.

Give me a Liberty GT wagon over any of those.

Quote Originally Posted by MYT205
    The 3.2 V6 IS available in the new A3 but at $75300 there are a LOT of other cars I would choose.

Give me a Liberty GT wagon over any of those.
    Yeah its ok if you can get cheap insurance. Id love an EVO but the insurance is just to damm high! For the Audi and the like insurance is around $1500 which is better than $4000 for an EVO.

But iam just looking at the moment not exactly sure what i want yet. But they are on the top of my list!

Grant.

A "cheap model" Lotus Elise, I think the list price is $69K odd?

Also Chrysler Crossdresser, the amalgam of old model Mercedes design with Chrysler build quality would make an interesting combination.......
    Last edited by Simon; 6th July 2004 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Brain working to think of alternatives and adding them in

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    Where did you get those figures from?
    Everywhere. Seeing as though the next S3 has not yet been released, nor even announced, I can only assume the S3 that old mate Foxman is referring to is the current S3.

Everywhere. Seeing as though the next S3 has not yet been released, nor even announced, I can only assume the S3 that old mate Foxman is referring to is the current S3.
    Iam pretty sure the new A3 will take over from the s3 as they don't make them anymore. Dropped the 1.8t version and go to the 3.2 V6. Which is shoehorned in there.

Grant.

Cal

better than $4000 for an EVO.
    How old are you?

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Don't forget with the minis - they'll pull the girlies far more than a golf or audi! The JCW is also in the same league as the R32 as far as track times are concerned - its also similarly (if not better) equipped (well its more of a statement in aesthetics [interior and exterior] compared to the rather plain-jane R32. The only real difference would have to be one is 4WD, and the other FWD. You do get a fair bit in the JCW package that really makes the car grip phenomenally.

Personally I'd buy a 350Z track. 2/3 of an M3 (maybe more) for peanuts (relatuvely). They look pretty hot for a jap car too!

Iam pretty sure the new A3 will take over from the s3 as they don't make them anymore. Dropped the 1.8t version and go to the 3.2 V6. Which is shoehorned in there.
    They'd be foolish to drop the S* line, not to be confused with the actual S-line designation. There will be a new S3 and RS3 in due time.

They'd be foolish to drop the S* line, not to be confused with the actual S-line designation. There will be a new S3 and RS3 in due time.
    They arent going to drop the s line but the new A3 3.2 V6 has taken over from the old model S3 which is there sport model.

Ian not sure if they have ever made RS3 but i know id love the RS4 or RS6 damm nice cars.

Grant.

1000+ Posts

S3???
    I am looking at the new Audi A3 V6

Everywhere.
    Looked behind my fridge & it wasnt there???

Foxy conveniently edited his post after realising his mistake.

1000+ Posts

Lol, didnt notice the edit...

however....
    http://carsguide.news.com.au/news/st...E27286,00.html

even they dont know if its an A3 or S3... confusion remains...

Z4 or S2000. Z4 is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    A "cheap model" Lotus Elise, I think the list price is $69K odd?

Also Chrysler Crossdresser, the amalgam of old model Mercedes design with Chrysler build quality would make an interesting combination.......
    Mmm Elise. I've seen 30,000 km 1998 models for mid 40's. Sex on wheels.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

No contest really, from what I've read & from their shear road presence I'd go for the 147GTA. The Golf R32 still looks like....well a Golf, the 147 is a damn fine car & sure to make you grin everytime you drive it. At that money though I'd have to concur with the guy that said go for a second hand Elise. You'd get one just only 2 yrs old at that price. The Elise is my dream car & I have vowed to get one before I turn 30, pure sex on wheels with reliability too boot! Good luck anyway, tis a shame they dont sell the V6 Clio here, that would make your decision even easier!
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4
    Simca Arondes (travaux en cours)
    Lotus Elise Club Racer '12

In WA? Join THE club ! www.frenchandfantastic.com.au

1000+ Posts

Elise???
    i dont think thats really in the same class as what he's after...
    Its even more of a 2 seat, light weight racer than the Clio!

Somethinig a big bigger... more solid & space for a kid or two

Not a hot hatch, but worth considering in this price bracket:

2004 VOLVO V50
    MY04 Wagon T5 4dr Man 6sp 2.5T

17" Alloy Wheels, 8 Speaker Stereo, ABS (Antilock Brakes), Adjustable Steering Col. - Tilt & Reach, Air Cond. - Climate Control, Airbags - Driver & Passenger (Dual), Airbags - Head for Front, Airbags - Head for Rear Occupants, Airbags - Side for Front Occupants, Armrest - Rear Occupants, Body Colour - Bumpers, Calipers - Front 2 Spot, Calipers - Rear 2 Spot, CD Player, Central Locking - Remote/Keyless, Control - Dynamic Stability, Control - Dynamic Traction, Control - Rollover Stability, Cruise Control, Disc Brakes Front Ventilated, Disc Brakes Rear Solid, EBD (Electronic Brake force Distribution, Electric Seat - Drivers, Engine Immobiliser, Floor Mats, Fog Lamps, Headlamp Washers, Headlamps - Bi-Xenon (for low & high bea, Headlamps - Electric Level Adjustment, Headrests - Rear Integrated, Leather Gear Knob, Leather Seats, Leather Steering Wheel, Metallic Finish Inserts, Mudflaps - front, Mudflaps - rear, Multi-function Steering Wheel, Power Antenna, Power Door Mirrors, Power Steering - Electric Assist, Power Windows - Front & Rear, Radio Cassette, Remote Fuel Lid Release, Roof Rails, Seatbelt - Pretensioners Front, Seatbelts - Lap/Sash for 5 seats, Seats - 2nd Row Split Fold, Tacho, Trip Computer
    Transmission Manual
    No. Gears 6
    Gear Location Floor
    Engine Type Piston
    No. Cylinders 5
    Engine Size 2521cc (2.5)
    Engine Configuration In-line
    CAM DOHC with VVT
    Valves/Cylinder 4
    Engine Cycle 4 Stroke
    Fuel Type Petrol - Unleaded (U
    Power 162kW @ 5000rpm
    Torque 320Nm @ 1500rpm Thats big torque down low.
    Acceleration 0-100Km/h 6.9 secs

~$63K & plenty of room for the kiddies
    Last edited by winnie; 7th July 2004 at 02:15 PM.

Thread Information