CX for free in Sydney
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Moderator Alan S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    8,923

    Default CX for free in Sydney

    From an overseas board; may be of interest to someone as a restoration, parts or a "make one out of two" project.

    http://www.andyspares.com/discussion...?TOPIC_ID=8128


    Alan S

    Advertisement
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

  2. #2
    Sense Pug307's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,355

    Default

    Ahwell, I guess the next owner won't have much problem with depreciation

    Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

  3. #3
    1000+ Posts cruiserman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    1,290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pug307
    Ahwell, I guess the next owner won't have much problem with depreciation
    No that is true, I wont. However the car was far from a wreck being a daily driver less than 3 months ago. It starts (with the aid of an auxilary battery) readily and settles into a smooth idle. Brake warning light goes out imeadiately and after sitting on the trailer all day yesterday and last night the warning light did not come on this morning. (yes it does work) The car lifts in 20 - 30 seconds and settles level. The lights all work as does the windscreen wiper, blower interior lights, infact everything other than the rear window demister. Door trims are cracked as would be expected. In the last couple of nights some tool has taken the ashtray, rear view mirror, petrol cap and the rubber bump strip along the passenger side of the car. There is some rust in the passenger door bottom corner but no endemnic rust at all points. The car came with a couple of milk crates of bits and pieces including 2.5l of new LHM, an oil filter, a citroen workshop manual and Haynes book of lies for the CX and also one for the GS, all books have been damp at one point in time but are still there.

    Thanks to Alan S for his advise on trailering the car, however he didnt mention that after putting the car on its lowest setting that you couldnt open the doors anymore as they didnt clear the trailer. Adele my wife had great fun videoing Adam, my son, and myself trying to climb out the window. Remembering that the battery is flaaaaaaaat and we used the tow vehicle to start it. As the sun comes out I will post pictures of the car.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

    '82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

    '77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

    '76 CX Super

    '05 WL Statesman

    '92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

  4. #4
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,385

    Default

    Hey Cruiserman,

    congrats Welcome to weird & wonderful world of Cit's The hydraulics sound like there in exceptional shape. They are extremely simple on your CX. There is only one single cylinder pump mounted to the block (the same as an ID19 and GS). I've never really heard of one going wrong (getting to the fuel pump is certainly 'fun' though ).

    It sounds like you need to find yourself a CX nutter in the area that has some parts cars to scavenge from. I'd offer to send you bits 'n' peices but I imagine postage costs would be quite large and I gotta find the time to pull the parts from the cars here (I take forever to get around to doing anything).

    You don't need to worry about the motor, they last forever, if the gearbox is crunchy into 2nd drain & refill with Castrol TQF (yes it's ATF). This is the fluid that's used in C-matics, the C-matic is an identical box but never wears out synchro's. Guess what the only difference is .......... Yep the oil used.

    Have you driven it yet ?? It really is a shame it hasn't got daravi, but given the condition & price of the car who cares

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  5. #5
    1000+ Posts cruiserman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    1,290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Hey Cruiserman,

    congrats Welcome to weird & wonderful world of Cit's The hydraulics sound like there in exceptional shape. They are extremely simple on your CX. There is only one single cylinder pump mounted to the block (the same as an ID19 and GS). I've never really heard of one going wrong (getting to the fuel pump is certainly 'fun' though ).

    It sounds like you need to find yourself a CX nutter in the area that has some parts cars to scavenge from. I'd offer to send you bits 'n' peices but I imagine postage costs would be quite large and I gotta find the time to pull the parts from the cars here (I take forever to get around to doing anything).

    You don't need to worry about the motor, they last forever, if the gearbox is crunchy into 2nd drain & refill with Castrol TQF (yes it's ATF). This is the fluid that's used in C-matics, the C-matic is an identical box but never wears out synchro's. Guess what the only difference is .......... Yep the oil used.

    Have you driven it yet ?? It really is a shame it hasn't got daravi, but given the condition & price of the car who cares

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    New accumulator sphere, damn new language, had been fitted recently suspension is soft and returns to height with no bouncing. Found more rust in the passenger sill. I have driven it on and off the trailer, trying not to put myself through the windscreen in the process of stopping, and down my street and around a cul de sac to turn it around. The rear window needs to be removed and resealed, the floor of the car is dry as is the boot however. Maybe the next one will have Daravi but this isnt too bad to steer. Just like going to the Gym.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

    '82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

    '77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

    '76 CX Super

    '05 WL Statesman

    '92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

  6. #6
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cruiserman
    New accumulator sphere, damn new language, had been fitted recently suspension is soft and returns to height with no bouncing. Found more rust in the passenger sill. I have driven it on and off the trailer, trying not to put myself through the windscreen in the process of stopping, and down my street and around a cul de sac to turn it around. The rear window needs to be removed and resealed, the floor of the car is dry as is the boot however. Maybe the next one will have Daravi but this isnt too bad to steer. Just like going to the Gym.

    Hee,hee,

    you got it easy, usually new drivers (me included) swerve the way down the road thinking "you gotta be bloody joking, how the hell can you drive this.... It's bloody dangerous, it won't drive straight", then they get to the first corner and pelt everyone in the car through the windscreen

    It's about then they step out of the car, call it a dangerous heap of sh!t and decide they'll never drive one again (any wonder they were so bloody hard to sell back in the 70's when everyone was driving Kingswoods with half a turn of slack in the steering, spongy brakes and terrible handling --in comparison). Ask the same person a month later what they think of the CX and they'll swear it's the best car they have driven, it's arrow straight out the highway, even when sitting on it's redline in top gear and the brakes are bloody brilliant

    You want even more terrifying I've been driving CX's since I was about 16years old. When I was 23 (ie: been driving 'em for 7years) I saw a sad looking CX sitting in a caryard. Yep, time for a testdrive, it's a CX2200 pallas 4spd. I jump in, crack the 2nd choke on the carby open to pull out into a gap in the traffic and give the steering wheel a gentle nudge to the left... Heart in the mouth, instant adrenalin rush as I hammer out onto the road, across the bike lane, across the lane I intended to drive into, into the oncoming traffic lane, brain screeming at the car TURN YOU [email protected] It occurs to me know that there is something wrong with the steering, the brain screams at the arms in panic "REEF THE BLOODY STEERING WHEEL", I do this huge movement crossing my arms over ****JUST**** avoiding the new BMW driving down the wrong side of the road I'm pretty much on.

    After I calmed down a little and noticed gee's this steeering is bloody big ..., Ohhh, this'll be a manual steered one .... never been in one of them before

    Of course I bought the car, how could I not buy something that could make driving so invigorating and exciting

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •