Douvrin engines - what I have learned
  • Register
  • Help

Icon3 Douvrin engines - what I have learned

Recently the cambelt on our 505 STI broke.
    Investigation showed a bad result - 4 bent exhaust valves.
    I am slowly working through repairing it, but have had a nagging query about why it happened. I think I now know why.

Advertisement

A lot of Douvrin engine owners complain about them leaking oil, ours did too and this oil must have got onto the cam belt which then failed. The oil escapes through the cam shaft seal which had shrivelled up in our car. I doubt it had ever been changed.

My recomendation is that every time you change a cam belt or water pump on a Douvrin engine - that you also change the cam shaft seal as these have a limited life and will cause newish belts to fail prematurely.

Also, 505 STI rocker covers block up on the inside as there is only a very small hole to allow fumes to pass into the ventilation hoses. You cannot see this hole at all from inside or outside and to fix it I drilled down into the middle of the ventilation tower, opened up the bockage and sealed the drill hole with a big self-tapper screw. Hopefully this will stop the engine pressurising and pumping out oil.
    So many projects - so little time.

always amazed that anyone wouldnt...

You should have seen the timing belt on my friends STi when I changed it for him when he bought it - soft from oil leaks, and yet brittle as well with huge cracks when you bent it back. Was stunned that it was still holding
    It had the classic cam seal leak as well. In hindsight, should have replaced the aux. shaft and crank seal as well, which I did on my R25 recently.

How are your pistons? And did you find out if Fuego valves can be used? If you are anywhere near Camberwell, I can come and give you some advice on Douvrin reassembly if you like

When you have the head done up ( I recommend CW Engineering in Nunawading - good work and they recognised the head when I put it on their bench which is a good sign ) take the rockers, cam and rocker cover with you and get it all put through their hotwash - cleans them up better than you could ever do with degreaser and a toothbrush
    Last edited by Haakon; 29th June 2004 at 11:21 AM.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Default Fuego valves???

Have a look at the attached .doc file - lists Fuego valves, and other cars with the same fit.
    Info from: http://www.webparts.co.uk
    Have a look at there website if the info you want is not on the attachment.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default thanks for advice

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniel
    cars with the same fit.
    Info from: http://www.webparts.co.uk
    Have a look at there website if the info you want is not on the attachment.
    Thanks for that website - its an interesting resource which will come in handy in the future.

How are your pistons? And did you find out if Fuego valves can be used?
    Yes Haakon, the 'headman' used Renault 20 exhaust valves (I am told).
    The pistons have been marked a little, but I dont want to do too much digging around & disturb the liner seals (paranoia from from my Citroen Big 6 days!! ) so I will take a chance that they are OK.

My Head cam & rocker gear had to go through the hotwash TWICE - stupidly I forgot to take the rocker cover to be cleaned so its still gooey & I will have to clean it myself.

many thanks for the offer of help, we are close. I will message you if I need assistance.
    So many projects - so little time.

Liner seals are not that sensitive on these motors - you are safe to turn it over if you use a head bolt,spacer and a big washer to clamp the liners. Its worth giving the piston tops a clean. I use a green kitchen scourer and a bit of petrol after scraping CAREFULLY (dont gouge the soft alloy) with a paint scraper and they come up a treat . If I remember, I put a bit of grease down the side of the piston to catch the carbon bits which is scraped out, but if I dont they come out with the oil I put in the bores prior to reassembly (to aid compression as the petrol used to clean the piston washes oil off the bore, and to generally lube things on the start up)

If you have any sharp edges on the "dents" in the piston, round them off or they might get hot and cause pre ignition
    Last edited by Haakon; 30th June 2004 at 10:32 AM.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Thread Information