Pug 505 mentioned in latest Wheels
  • Register
  • Help
    nJm

Default Pug 505 mentioned in latest Wheels

I was flicking through the latest Wheels in a news agents today. They have a section on cars we shouldn't have got, and cars we should have but didn't. Things like the BMW 325e/525e and current Lexus ES300 made the 'shouldn't have got' list, but one of the few cars they think we should have got out here but didn't was the 505 Turbo. They mentioned how great the 505 range was, but seriously lacking in power! Has a nice little photo and everything

Advertisement
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by nJm
    I was flicking through the latest Wheels in a news agents today. They have a section on cars we shouldn't have got, and cars we should have but didn't. Things like the BMW 325e/525e and current Lexus ES300 made the 'shouldn't have got' list, but one of the few cars they think we should have got out here but didn't was the 505 Turbo. They mentioned how great the 505 range was, but seriously lacking in power! Has a nice little photo and everything
    I have often wondered about the turbo 505.

Would it have suited the oz market? I have always seen the 504/5 as tough as bricks, load movers.

After hearing about all the cracked heads with these cars in the states would it have done much for peugeot street cred here?

I am not sure that the oz market would have wanted a more sporty european tank?

just me

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

the one we should have got was the PRV V6 option in the 505

same as we should have got the manual option in 604's as well as i think they would have been a better selling car if there was a manual option and injection instead of the carb setup we got here

also they should have had leather, sunroof and metallic paint as options as well and not standard items
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Probably another thing to keep in mind would be the reason why we never got the more tasty models. Probably because they were not tuned for the 91 octane unleaded from 1986 to when 96 octane PULP was introduced around 1993/1994ish.

Would the 505T have had a high octane diet?

Icon11

I blame the govts here and the fuels, they both suck big time....

WLB

Unfortunately back then, it had a lot to do with tax scales, with the car makers desperately cutting features to try to stay under the luxury car tax threshold which would dramatically lift the price. Then, if they couldn't stay under it, they felt the need to pile on the extras as standard to justify the "luxury" price.

1000+ Posts

Very true WLB. Note that the Mercedes 180E was included in the list of most pointless cars. It was a car that arose from the tax scales, in doing so was basicly a taxi pack 190E for $45K (In 1992).

there was a turbo 505 engine for sale here ready to bolt in for $1700 not long ago..

I just wished i coudl have had teh experience .. I hope someone has bought the dam thing..!!

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Thread Information