opinions on cars
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Tadpole

Default opinions on cars

O.K guys, I am looking at a car to go with my job. I wanted something fun but it looks bad because my salary wont cut it and turbo insurance for under 25's is harsh. Can anyone with car knowledge give me some suggestions, both frog and Jp for the 10-15 mark with zip. I am looking forward to hearing suggestions, because outside my 205 I have not looked at another car. At the moment I have been looking at grey import 89 300zx or something like that. Thanx Guys/Girls Chris

Advertisement

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

you are worried about the cost of insurance but you are looking at a 300ZX

ever seen under the bonnet of one of these things ?

i have known mechanics to run and hide if one comes in they are that hard to get around to work on

anyway, how sporty do you want a car ?

remembering insurance once again
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Tadpole

Thanx Pug. that is exactly what I mean. I am 24 and to date have had only basic 3rd party insurance. I dont even know what it will cost to insure vehicles. ^_^ I want sporty, I want nice, and I dont want a shopping trolley. Yeh, I have seen the engine bay, reminded me of a 205mi16!! ^^ haha. But I heard that labour on those things is crazy. I dont know anything about cars so pretend you are talking to an idiot (if you arent already) What are my options? I wish I was rich!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Thanx Pug. that is exactly what I mean. I am 24 and to date have had only basic 3rd party insurance. I dont even know what it will cost to insure vehicles. ^_^ I want sporty, I want nice, and I dont want a shopping trolley. Yeh, I have seen the engine bay, reminded me of a 205mi16!! ^^ haha. But I heard that labour on those things is crazy. I dont know anything about cars so pretend you are talking to an idiot (if you arent already) What are my options? I wish I was rich!!!!

the engine bay of a 205Mi-16 is tame compared to the one of a 300ZX

i'd get another 205 or a good 405 both of which are in your price range
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

If cheap running costs and insurance are a priority, I'd stay away from grey imports full stop.

Some suggestions
    Frog:
    Pug 405 Mi16/Citroen BX 16 valve (i found out that there IS a difference between a BX 16 and a BX 16 valve.....). A splendid example of either is will within your budget
    306 XSi
    306 S16 (there have been a few discussions previously about S16 vs. GTi-6. Might be worth a search through the dusty Aussiefrogs archives)

Jap:
    Mazda MX5
    Honda Integra VTiR
    Anyone know anything about Ford Probes? They look pretty slick.

Other...
    BMW 318iS/320i. Both E30 and E36 models are within your budget.

O.K guys, I am looking at a car to go with my job. I wanted something fun but it looks bad because my salary wont cut it and turbo insurance for under 25's is harsh. Can anyone with car knowledge give me some suggestions, both frog and Jp for the 10-15 mark with zip. I am looking forward to hearing suggestions, because outside my 205 I have not looked at another car. At the moment I have been looking at grey import 89 300zx or something like that. Thanx Guys/Girls Chris
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

when ford released the probe they stated that it was a car they should never have tried to sell here

i read it in a few articles that they admitted to making a mistake bringing that car out here

for why i'll have to research

stay tuned
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Cal

Buy Brad's S16: Brad's S16 For Sale

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Tadpole

love to! But it would take some coin to get it over here to WA. I cat get to the photos page. Why are you asking so little Brad? Something wrong with it? ^^

Cal

It is on the higher side of what you are looking for but the price is negotiable. Where are you from? If in SEQ you are welcome to come and have a look/drive.

Insurance, I currently pay $650, I'm 26 and my partner is 23, however as a female she actually reduced my permium. Glad I'm not gay

I recon you could insure it through NRMA for around $750, just make sure you tell them the Apex springs are 25mm or less of lowering. I measured them at around 27mm, but springs do sag.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Tadpole

Im in Perth. Y_Y can you point me to a pics post kuz the one posted wont load for me. Well expensive to get over here and then reregistered I suppose

love to! But it would take some coin to get it over here to WA. I cat get to the photos page. Why are you asking so little Brad? Something wrong with it? ^^
    I'm running the server from home and am uploading stuff which was hogging the bandwidth. Check back after 6 EST tonight and it should be ok.

Price, that's about what it's worth if I want to sell it anytime soon. Not that I'm desperate to sell it, but if I was asking 18k for it it would never sell until it was the last one around and someone REALLY wanted it. Besides, GTI6's are getting under 18k now anyway, questionable quality though.

What's the stamp duty in WA? If it was deregistered in QLD before it was sent we can discuss a reduction by the refunded amount.

If it were my money in that price range, it would be spent on a 306 S16 or an early well looked after mx5

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    What's the stamp duty in WA? If it was deregistered in QLD before it was sent we can discuss a reduction by the refunded amount.
    If you deregister it, and then get it reregistered over here, wouldn't the car have to be inspected before being relicensed?

Troy.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I've seen Xantia CT turbo Activas are getting down in price now. Well you wanted something that'll ride half decently and be able to whip a 205's arse didn't you

http://www.citroen.mb.ca/Documents/Car/1.html

You'll have to be fast 'cos there isn't many of these amazing cars around.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Insurance, I currently pay $650, I'm 26 and my partner is 23, however as a female she actually reduced my permium. Glad I'm not gay
    So ideally you should be a lesbian couple to get cheap insurance?

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Jez 405
    Anyone know anything about Ford Probes? They look pretty slick.

i'd be looking at a pug or a cit if it were me

but here is a review of the probe for those interested

some of the things i have heard are doors falling apart and electrical gremlins in these cars

but if interested have a read of what this bloke has to say about them (remembering they are only a MX-6 underneath it all)

Probe beneath the hype
    By David Morley
    The Sydney Morning Herald
    Tuesday May 4 2004

Not all cars that fail to inspire are bad cars, writes David Morley. Ford's Probe is a case in point.

Of all of Australia's vehicle categories, it seems the mid-sized coupe segment is the toughest nut to crack. Plenty of manufacturers and importers have had a go at selling a coupe with either a large four-cylinder or V6 engine, but, with a couple of exceptions, they've all retired hurt with minimal sales and showrooms full of hard-to-shift metal.

That hasn't stopped them having multiple dips at the prize, and you only need look at Holden's attempts to sell the Calibra to know that much. The Opel-built coupe was first marketed as a four-cylinder front-drive, then as a V6 and finally as a turbocharged four-cylinder with all-wheel-drive -- and still it couldn't be made to suggest itself to potential buyers.

Ford's most recent attempt at the market was with the edge-styled Cougar, complete with V6 power and plenty of attitude, but it, too, failed to capture a competitive slice of the market. The Cougar was just the most recent experiment from Ford; a few years before that was yet another sales failure: the Probe.

So was the Probe (and its ilk) a bad car? No, but the reason for its demise is the same across the market segment. Two models have, from the 1970s on, had that market niche sewn up: the Toyota Celica and Honda Prelude, with the marketing clout and the badge awareness to make them first choice among coupe buyers who prefer image over real substance. That is what killed the Probe after a life beginning in 1994 and lasting just three years.

advertisement

advertisement

Now that prices have fallen to very affordable levels, the Probe will appeal to those looking for the swoopy coupe styling with a serve of proper horsepower courtesy of the V6 engine. A Probe will show a contemporary Prelude or Celica a clean pair of heels on just about any road.

With large sections of the basic platform derived from the Mazda MX-6/626 models, as is the engine and gearbox, the logical conclusion is that the US-built Probe will drive much like the unlamented V6 Mazda MX-6, but it's actually quite a bit more fun than that.

There is independent suspension at each corner and front-wheel-drive. The engine is a 2.5-litre V6 with twin-overhead camshafts on each bank of cylinders and four valves on each cylinder. Power peaked at 121 kW at 5600 rpm with torque of 213Nm at 5000rpm, suggesting that the engine liked a big rev before it delivered its best. But it was also pretty sweet and smooth, so revving it hard wasn't the chore it might have been.

Handling was safe and secure, although like most front-wheel-drives, the Probe would ultimately push wide at the front if you got too ambitious.

Steering feel was better than most front-drive coupes, and the Probe was a reasonably entertaining drive up to about 80 percent (way beyond the point most owners will reach), where it could begin to lose the plot.

There are some build quality issues to be aware of when shopping for a Probe. The biggest potential problem involves the five-speed manual gearbox (a four-speed automatic was a popular fitment) and relates to how the vehicle has been serviced. The factory stipulates gearbox oil changes with an oil matching a 75W90 specification. It must also contain no sulphur, as this will shorten the lifespan of the internal bearings, which are made from bronze/brass and are corroded by the oil as it becomes acidic over time. So check the service record carefully and make sure the correct oil has been used.

The automatic gearbox isn't without issues either, and mechanics reckon the factory's 40,000km transmission service interval should really be halved, as the fluid most commonly used simply won't protect the gearbox over that distance.

Rear brake calipers can seize, with a result similar to driving around with the handbrake on.

A caliper rebuild is the ultimate solution and may have already been undertaken.

On the engine, the biggest potential grief can come from premature valve-stem wear. The symptoms involve a puff of smoke at start-up but it's not common and probably indicates a hard-driven car rather than any inherent fault. Skipping services can lead to worn hydraulic lash adjusters, which lead to a rattly engine.

Otherwise, the Probe seems well put together and has lasted well. Considering it's cheap these days yet still looks like a modern interpretation of the coupe theme, it's pretty good buying.

What to pay

About $10,000 gets you into the game these days, which is reasonable value considering you are buying a relatively new car with a V6 engine and a fair dash of style. Prices go all the way to about $18,000 for '97-plated cars with low kilometres, but a cheaper example is better buying.

The competition

Just about any two-door car with a four-cylinder or V6 engine will be vying for the same money. Likely suspects are the Hyundai Coupe, Holden Calibra, Mazda MX-6 and any number of other Japanese makes and models.

Prices and details correct at publication date.
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Cal

Quote Originally Posted by winnie
    If it were my money in that price range, it would be spent on a 306 S16 or an early well looked after mx5
    My you have good taste. I'd just take a 4 door sedan S16 instead.

Cal.
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

Quote Originally Posted by Cal
    My you have good taste. I'd just take a 4 door sedan S16 instead.

Cal.
    Hmmm, confusing.

Anyways, the server is back up and there are heaps of pics at http://brash.homeip.net

SW

My 1996 Peugeot 306 XSi is the bracket you are looking at and probably has above average performance as it is red.

It is a 4 door which would be favourable for insurance - check the NRMA, QBE and AAMI web sites for a quote.

It is in Sydney - fly over drive home??

I have been considering selling it as I have a work car during the week and dont drive it much anymore.

Let me know if you want some photos - after around $12k with 120kms on the clock.

regards
    Scott

Cal

Hmmm, confusing.
    4 door S16 = Mi16.

Cal.
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

Tadpole

Shot down Y_Y I would love a good car, but as I have no insurance history I have had some quotes that make my eyes water. its too much trouble to organise a car. How much do these ricers in their 20s afford their cars??!! WA is well strict with cars going through the pitts. Im a sad sad boy, wish I didnt like cars and was happy in a matiz. Thanx so far, Cj

Quote Originally Posted by Cal
    4 door S16 = Mi16.

Cal.
    But slower

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    I've seen Xantia CT turbo Activas are getting down in price now. Well you wanted something that'll ride half decently and be able to whip a 205's arse didn't you

http://www.citroen.mb.ca/Documents/Car/1.html

You'll have to be fast 'cos there isn't many of these amazing cars around.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    I was led to believe that they were not officially imported into Aust.

If I were to get another 'classic' car it would be the Xantia CT Turbo Activas. These cars makes me drool........Plus a Citroen tuned sport suspension and one of the stiffest chassis around....what more do you ask for!!

Cheers
    Billy
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

-Memories are good only if you don't have to deal with the past.-

Cal

Quote Originally Posted by jester_fu
    or of course the 306S16, if you can find one for sale in good nick! It's harder than you think. Guess it depends on cash.
    Not really sure why I give a toss, but here I go anyway. If you bought Brad's S16 without even looking at it and got it shipped to WA, you will not be disappointed. He really is very anal about the thing. Can see him doing one of these numbers when it leaves . I'm sure that most of the Qld members of Aussiefrogs would agree that you will be seaching high and low to find a better one.

Cheers,

Cal.
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S

Quote Originally Posted by BW205
    I was led to believe that they were not officially imported into Aust.
    They did bring the Activa officially to Australia, but it wasn't a super high volume seller here, or anywhere really

Interesting to note the C5 isn't sold as an Activa.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information