Handheld UHF CB.
  • Register
  • Help

Default Handheld UHF CB.

Greetings,

I was thinking of buying a handheld UHF CB for use in future froggy cruises. Can anyone make any recommendations about something suitable for this purpose, and something not too expensive?

Advertisement

Troy.

i have a Uniden 40XR( i think)

is a good unit. auto channel scan. 5klm range. is a great little unit. Uniden is good quality in the UHF scene. has a wrist strap. not heavy. very durable stubby arial and solidly built.

it is easy on the batteries( still reads full after several cruises)

cost was $80-$90

i know some places do some cheaper units like 2 for $90. i would be scepticle of the range and quality they have.

UFO

Icon4

Go for the Uniden models. There is a .5 watt version (around $70) and then a 1 watt version for more money. I have one of the .5 watt and it is very good. I also have a two set of the Supercheap model and it is barely acceptable.

All work on the same frequency allocation so are compatible.

Be warned though that these units are only legal for Australia. If your froggy trip involves going to Europe you are not permitted to use them. More later on that one - however it did not involve discussion with the Gendarmerie
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

This site is worth reading.

If you can afford the extra $s, go for the Uniden UH-044. It is a 2W handheld and we use it at our factory. Best distance achieved was about 7-8Km (LOS) and ~3-4Km in mountain country. I've found it usually to be cheapest at Tricky Dicky's, I've listed a couple of other sites that sell UHF CBs below. A 1W handheld should be sufficient as well.
    http://www.prestigecom.net.au/
    http://www.gme.net.au/land/tx610_main.html
    + =

1000+ Posts

I've got the Uniden UH-044 2 watt model (adjustable power to conserve batteries) with the mic/speaker on a cord. Makes life much easier (and safer) when driving!

Derek

I have two vehicle mounted units, two GME Electrophone 5w units (circa 5-600$ each) and my favourite the twin pack uniden uh36, 78$ for the pair only .5 watt but for a cruise situation they are ideal, I use them on 4WD trips for car to car coms as much as I use the fixed units. They are just so convenient. Having a pair lets you give one to someone else as well so you have someone to talk to. These tiny units (photo attached with a teaspoon for comparison) have scan functionality as well as duplex mode to use with a repeater for added range if needed. They run on 3 aaa batteries. HTH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Handheld UHF CB.-dscf0132.jpg  
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

I have 2 UNIDEN GME Electrophones similar to, that ( a couple of models up from the ones cruiserman has, but bigger) for use on a farm, they are fantastic, and work well with the other farm vehicles radios. I mainly use it on a motorbike.

I saw the twin pack of those tiny little mini ones on the weekend and was so tempted to buy one.

I think I will, but we need a cruise so I can make use of them!
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

I have 2 UNIDEN GME Electrophones

Is that 2 Uniden or 2 GME Electrophone, they are after all two different companies.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by cruiserman
    I have 2 UNIDEN GME Electrophones

Is that 2 Uniden or 2 GME Electrophone, they are after all two different companies.
    yeah I meant 2 GME Electrophnes (1 in each ute, these aren't portable) and I got 2 handheld unidens.
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Quote Originally Posted by TroyO
    Greetings,

I was thinking of buying a handheld UHF CB for use in future froggy cruises. Can anyone make any recommendations about something suitable for this purpose, and something not too expensive?

Troy.
    Hi Troy, try this local guy here, he would be WA's biggest single supplier of this type of thing. http://www.outbacker.com.au/ He has a huge range & is quite price competitive. Good luck.
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4
    Simca Arondes (travaux en cours)
    Lotus Elise Club Racer '12

In WA? Join THE club ! www.frenchandfantastic.com.au

XTC

I've got a pair of Uniden UH-044 (2 watt model) - used with an hands free ear peice ... makes it much easier to use and hear ... the extra watts make a diff ...

http://www.prestigecom.net.au/

The hand held compact Uniden UH075 (5 Watt !) has upped the stakes .. it's $389 though !

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Thanks for the info guys. The Uniden UH-044 looks like the one to go for.

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    I've got a pair of Uniden UH-044 (2 watt model) - used with an hands free ear peice ... makes it much easier to use and hear ... the extra watts make a diff ...
    Does it need any particular hands free ear piece?

Troy.

1000+ Posts

I got a 2pack from Dick Smith...
    Uniden, with base charger, forget the exact model but it takes hands free...

0.3W or 1W selectable, however 0.3 works fine, specially through the RCS windscreen!

Higher Power? unless you loose convoy (should never happen) i wouldnt worry about paying extra $, as we've found you dont really need it

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TroyO
    Does it need any particular hands free ear piece?

Troy.
    Troy,
    There's an expensive genuine one, but Dick Smith sell a cheapy no-name (Digitor?) one which works perfectly for less than half the price.

Derek.

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa
    There's an expensive genuine one, but Dick Smith sell a cheapy no-name (Digitor?) one which works perfectly for less than half the price. Derek.
    I had one of these (Digitor) and it was average at best (and was about $12) .. I went and got a Uniden one ($30) and was heaps better - esp the microphone, same issue between the Genuine Nokia Hands Free and a no name. Now BOTH are made in China somewhere .. and in some cases they MAY even come from the same factory, so i can't explain it ... so sometimes it may pay to buy original ... your own mileage will vary.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    I had one of these (Digitor) and it was average at best (and was about $12) .. I went and got a Uniden one ($30) and was heaps better - esp the microphone, same issue between the Genuine Nokia Hands Free and a no name. Now BOTH are made in China somewhere .. and in some cases they MAY even come from the same factory, so i can't explain it ... so sometimes it may pay to buy original ... your own mileage will vary.

- XTC206 -
    I jumped onto the CAT bus and went down to Tricky Dicky's in town to have a look. They had the Digitor hands free ear piece for $29, about the same price as the Uniden one.

Troy.

I just bought the GME TX610 (~$130 with rechargeable batteries and 240v charger). It's a 1w model.

Used it last weekend 4WD and wasn't too impressed with the volume output from the speaker as I had trouble hearing some of the other even with it cranked up flat out.
    David
    Former 306 S16 owner- now own a Mondeo ST24 V6

Thread Information