70 Profile Tyres
  • Register
  • Help

Default 70 Profile Tyres

This post is regarding my BMW, but seeing as many of the older frogs run 70 profile tyres, the comments which (I hope will) follow may be relevant to French cars as well.
    Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with good 70 profile tyres or can offer advice on what to buy and what not to buy?

I'm looking at 195/70 14 inch size, and I've gotten quotes on Dunlop Daytona 70 (a tad more expensive at $122 each) , Bridgestone ER60 ($115) and Bridgestone S237 ($105).

I currently have the S237's, which are V rated as opposed to the rest which are H-rated, but they don't seem all that spectacular a tyre, especially in the wet. I seldom see 140km/h let alone 240 and I'm tempted to try the Jap made ER60's.

Searching the websites, other tyres that come in that size are
    -Yokohama S760's (I've read mixed reviews on this one. They seem to perform very poorly in older tyre tests, brilliantly in the latest Wheels Mag one)
    -Michelin Certis (price and experience from other Aussiefrogs members in previous posts scratch this one)
    -BF Goodrich T/A Sport
    -Various Simex/Toyo/Goodyear etc. Not all that keen on Goodyears, as I my experience with their tyres hasn't been brilliant.

Advertisement
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

nJm

I can't help you other than say that Certis fitted to a six cylinder BMW would be suicide in the wet... I've had some very scary near misses in my 70kw 505 with power-oversteer in the wet...
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Certises aren't a current model anymore, they've been replaced by a new Michelin Energy variant.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i have goodyear eagles i think on the 604 in 65 series and they seem to be not too bad

i have had yokohamas in the past but again in 65 and 60 series but they were pretty good (A509's both times)

as for michelin, unless you can get them at the same price or cheaper than the rest i'd steer clear of them

also be wary of the cheaper pirellis in my experience from them and they were 70 series
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Thread Information