The Helpful Dealer? And other mythical creatures.
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    XTC

Default The Helpful Dealer? And other mythical creatures.

OK .. which dealers ( ) have you found to be the MOST helpful ...

Advertisement

Please don't talk about the ones that are the worst, or talk about OTHER makes (Subaru, Volov etc etc) or talk about what you would LIKE them to do ..... I want to get an idea of what a good dealer is capable of .. what have they done for you ? When have they exceeded customer expectation ?

- XTC206 -

PS: hopefully this isn't the only post in this thread ...
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Citroen Melbourne on Peel Street - Barry's a top bloke.
    I've made a habit of popping by whenever I can after work on Thursdays just to have a chat on Citroens and anything regarding cars, customers and sales really (reckon I know the C5 and C5 estate back to front by now).
    Let me have a Berlingo for a day, to show the company fleet manager, although they didn't end up buying them.
    I'll see if I can score a drive in the C2 next week...
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

Damon Beck at Gladsville prestige is very helpfull and knows his french cars. He is also a podium finisher at the bathurst 1000 and is good to have a yarn with.
    90 205 Gti Cherry Red(Track Car)
    2009 207gti
    1985 505gti (Shitbox Rally) Sold

PBs:

Oran Park: 1:27:9
    Wakefield: 1:05.6 (July 2015)
    Eastern Creek: 1:54 (8v) 1:48 (16V)
    Mt Huntley: 34.44 (2004 stock 205)
    Ringwood: 35.06 (30/10/2005)
    Winton: 1:33.6 (2017)

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

David Cavanagh of course down at French Connection in Melbourne. I haven't delt with him much but Martin Bray (i think that was his name) in Adelaide was very helpful and his prices were quite good.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    Please don't talk about the ones that are the worst, or talk about OTHER makes (Subaru, Volov etc etc)
    Volov, who are they?
    Nice palindrome though, you almost fit the whole word love in there

Back on topic, I'll put in my experiences with Regan Motors - they've been dealing with Peugeot for over 50 years now, for many of those years they were Australia's top selling dealer, although since the upgrade of City Peugeot to the new blue box design, they've been lagging.

Within Melbourne they seem the most reasonable with warranty claims, unlike some other dealers. For example, a fellow 307 list member had a problem which would only occur in the short period after startup - when the dealer is over 40 mins away from you, it's hardly surprising if you can't replicate it. At Regans, the problem was fixed. They don't make your life hell trying to fix things.

One nice touch I like is that you usually (not always) get a courtesy call a fortnight after the service just checking on how things are. They do call you when things arrive.

Facilities are a wee bit better now. When you go on your 1950's nostalgia trip to the waiting room, at least you now can make a cup of tea or coffee now. Still, it's an adventure going to the toilet, walking through about 5 offices and storerooms to get there Not via a corridor I might add!

They do fix most things when asked. Although I went in with a blown brake light and I left with a blown brake light - I didn't tell them as I wanted to test how thorough they are.

If they can't help you, they do encourage you to write to Peugeot and will support your case. It paid off for me - I got a free major service out of it. I'm quite content keeping those 700+ dollars in my pocket

Buying from them was a fairly good experience - bought the car in less than half an hour. Snared over $2000 off the price of the 307, which is a fair achievement considering 307s were on long waiting lists at the time. Having overheard some negotiations at other dealers, I was quite happy. A few of the old school sales techniques such as "I'll give you these if you buy today", but otherwise it was a fairly comfortable sales process.

Finally, most staff are quite friendly - you can have a chat with them. They know me by first name too - I wish that came about under different circumstances though (hint: visiting the dealer every fortnight for 5 months). Whilst the main service manager can come across as being quite gruff, he is helpful.

On the flip side, flaws?

Like many other dealers though, they've jumped on the charging for loan cars bandwagon - $30 per day, previously they were free (I know this issue will tug on your heartstrings XTC ). On the flip side, the cars are better - new 307 2.0, 406 HDi or a 206 XR.

Tracking systems aren't the best at times. Took months to get a secondary key (unfortunately Peugeot only gives you one PLIP key). The key was ordered in March 2002 shortly after purchasing the car, yet at the time of delivery they didn't have it (it doesn't take 2 months to get a key blade in from France - I know, because I checked with Peugeot's head office and knew exactly when key blades had been delivered). In the end, I got the key in July, as their locksmith stuffed the key shank up! Ahwell.

Taking delivery of the car is like visiting a dungeon. Underneath the showroom, there is a dark old garage. I thought the pre delivery detailing was a bit sloppy, but the sales man did give a good detailed lesson on the 307's various features. Probably went on for just over 30 minutes. I thought half a tank of fuel was a bit stingy though, and it would've been nice to have a keyring or something like that. Just was a different experience compared to taking delivery of our other car.

The automatic gearbox issue could have been solved much faster than it did, although they said they were limited by Peugeot - Peugeot stipulated they had to replace certain things bit by bit first. Hence, the regular visits over a long period - fortunately the car is well now (after passing 20,000 it got rid of its childish tantrums and grew up )

To make an analogy of it, dealing with Regans is like flying Economy Class on a clapped out 60's airliner where you have a friendly flight attendant. There aren't any special frills really, the facilities are older than anyone elses, but they have the right attitude.

In some respects, they'll struggle to exceed my expectations, because my expectations have been set by the dealer of the 307's fellow garage resident But I'm fairly happy - I'm not convinced to by from another Melbourne Peugeot dealer.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

moosey

The guys at Continental Cars in Sydney are great. Family business and they know their Citroens - old and new.

XTC

Great to see there is a few responses ... was getting worried there for a while.
    Have any of the dealers sponsored events or activities ? If so - how ?

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Have any of the dealers sponsored events or activities ? If so - how ?
    The French Car Festival here was supposed to be affiliated with Regans - all we got was a merchandise tent (they tell me the FCD is their best trading day for merchandise).

Didn't get a car from them, as far I could see - we had a 307CC from Straightway (also at the British & European Car Show). The sales manager at Straightway, who is also a motorsport enthusiast also has spoken at a PCCV meeting.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Exactly!!!

Greg and Bill Bunting, the most helpful people on earth.

What i love about Continental cars is they don't have that crap sales man attitude that chase you around the car yard. They let you look around at your own pace and if you ask they'll assist you.

They don't beef up the cars with all that pep talk that all the other salesman do. Also on saturdays they have some really helpful assistants around (agh forget their names, two of them are retired one is an ex teacher etc..).

Great people! I recommend Continental cars whole heartedly to anyone after a Citroen.

www.citroencentre.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by moosey
    The guys at Continental Cars in Sydney are great. Family business and they know their Citroens - old and new.

I missed this one.

I've known Bill & Greg since the late 80's.
    They have always been helpful & as such, I have recommended them to others. Three of them ended up buying a Citroen (2X Berlingo's & a C2), none had owned a Cit or French Car beforehand.

I must admit I was tempted by another dealer on my recent Berlingo purchase, mainly due to the extra k's between the local dealer & Continental Cars.
    Continental Cars had stock & a better offer.

As per usual on arrival to their dealership, everything was ready to go as I had asked & the turnaround out of my trade in into my new van was less than 1 hour.

wow you sure are a dedicated customer to come all the way down from Brisbane to Punchbowl.

I fully agree with everything you've said, they always have lower prices then the other dealers. What i like is they always also have the cars ready with full petrol when you go to pick em up (you'd be surprised how many dealers dont do that).

Quote Originally Posted by Uga Boga
    What i like is they always also have the cars ready with full petrol when you go to pick em up (you'd be surprised how many dealers dont do that).
    I once thought it was normal to have a full tank upon delivery until I bought from Regans

Things like that send a signal to the customer - personally, for the extra $25 odd it costs for a full tank (well back then), I think it's worth it in terms of the impression it gives to the customer.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pug307
    I once thought it was normal to have a full tank upon delivery until I bought from Regans

Things like that send a signal to the customer - personally, for the extra $25 odd it costs for a full tank (well back then), I think it's worth it in terms of the impression it gives to the customer.

now that is something that i would have expected when i bought the GTi-6 but it never happened but a few years before that when i bought a 10 year old 604 from the same place when the old man was still there he made sure the car had a full tank when i left there in it
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

To me, after spending $30k on a car, skimping on the amount of fuel you give to a customer just looks stingy.

If I paid $86k for a 607 and they did that, I'd shake my head. Then again, if I happened to visit my accountant after leving the showroom, I'd probably have more important reasons to shake my head

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

To me, after spending $30k on a car, skimping on the amount of fuel you give to a customer just looks stingy.

If I paid $86k for a 607 and they did that, I'd shake my head. Then again, if I happened to visit my accountant after leving the showroom, I'd probably have more important reasons to shake my head

i just found it strange that a 10 year old 2nd hand car and i got a tank full from the bloke that used to be around and yet 10 years later buying a new GTi-6 from his offspring and i had enough fuel to get out of the yard
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

It's interesting reading this stuff, from a car guys point of view.
    I remember when I worked at a certain Alfa dealer that shall remain nameless, there was a strict limit upon the amount of juice a car had in it. It was always embarrassing in a 147 cos if a car wasn't parked on the 'right' angle the fuel light would be on. Shocking but this was beyond my control.
    Penny pinching at its stupidest.

By contrast our German car franchise gives people a full tank, a gift voucher (or a present: for example; a book on guns for one guy that was into that sort of stuff), and follows it up with a car care kit a few weeks after. Plus we will invite customers to certain sponsored events as well.
    Why? It all boils down to money doesn't it.
    Now, with the German company we are paid enough to care.
    Plus we get paid extra if the company's Customer Satisfaction Index rating is above a certain level.

One of the problems is the degree to which the distributor supports the dealer, and how much the dealer in turn supports the sales staff.
    I find it entertaining that there are more Metro Peugeot dealers than BMW dealers, yet BMW sell almost twice the cars. I think in supporting the dealers the distributor is directly supporting the customers.
    Some franchises just stick it up the dealer and they will in turn stick it up the staff.
    When a salesman receives $50 for selling a $60000 car, the last thing he's gonna do is reach into his own pocket to top up the customers fuel tank... or go that little bit furthur in whatever way that might be.
    We all want a new car delivery to be a special and memorable occasion, but sometimes circumstances conspire against it.

It leaves the question... how much markup do the dealers actually make on the car price?

XTC

It leaves the question... how much markup do the dealers actually make on the car price?
    Not much ... from one of our 206gti.net members.

The dealer margins are as follows for 206 models:

1.4l $900
    1.6l $1,800
    138 $2,700
    180 $2,700

Dealers then add their own "Dealer Delivery Charges" on top. This can be from $1,500 to $2,500.

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

I still remember a couple of years ago running out of petrol 10 minutes into a test drive of a Peugeot 405 for sale at a certain German car dealership.
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

One day I must find the margins on a Laguna LX or a 607 at RRP

Warwick, what was a margin on an XM?

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

1000+ Posts

That's very weird. Totally inconsistent margins in terms of percentage. Margins are everything in retail, but obviously not automotive retail

I have to say, I don't know how keen Sime Darby would be to have those figures up on the web.

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa
    That's very weird. Totally inconsistent margins in terms of percentage. Margins are everything in retail, but obviously not automotive retail
    You often find at the bottom end of the range the margins are tight, so that the price can stay competitive.

At the top end, in percentage terms, there is a bit more fat in the price.

Also remember that manufacturers can get rebates and incentives from the manufacturer, these rebates can be quite significant come the start of the year.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Woah.. How do they survive on these margins??!?!?!?!?

Not much ... from one of our 206gti.net members.

1.4l $900
    1.6l $1,800
    138 $2,700
    180 $2,700

Dealers then add their own "Dealer Delivery Charges" on top. This can be from $1,500 to $2,500.

- XTC206 -

Dealer delivery charges, small profit from trade-in sometimes, servicing, spare parts, merchandise etc etc.
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4
    Simca Arondes (travaux en cours)
    Lotus Elise Club Racer '12

In WA? Join THE club ! www.frenchandfantastic.com.au

XTC

You think that's small, some "Hy-Undie" dealers are a lot lower then that !!

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information