Battery advice
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Battery advice

Default Battery advice

The time has come for a new battery - had to jump start the bloody thing again this morning.....

Advertisement

The manual specifies a 60 - 70 amp hour battery, and all the batteries in the shop are labeled in CCA. What no. CCA do I need? And does getting a bigger capacity one than the R25 "needs" equate to a longer life form the battery?

Cheers.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Administrator

I think that this is what the 25 needs.......

R25 Battery

I wanna hear the computer voice say....."What the ****, you are a moron"

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno
    I wanna hear the computer voice say....."What the ****, you are a moron"
    I think it will be saying "dont take advice from coppers - they cant be trusted..." (just kidding of course )

Cheers mate, that battery looks very nice - are you offering to make a donation to the R25 fund? Otherwise, this will be done on the cheap and a fairly standard battery (ie an Exide from Kmart with my girlfriends discount card...) purchased to keep the old girl going.
    Last edited by Haakon; 10th June 2004 at 11:10 AM.

Haakon,

You may find the places that sell batteries have the info you need if necessary.
    It seems that we go through "phases" when it comes to battery sizes.
    Once batteries were bought on Plate size (ie) 11 Plate - 13 - 15 etc, then we went onto the "amp hour" caper then "amps" only, and of more recent times "cca."
    FWIW, I had a 500cca on the CX which was a c-matic & therefore relied heavily on its battery as it has an electro-valve (solenoid) to snap in & lack of power = lack of gears.
    On the BXs I have used 450cca X 11 plate although a 55occa X 13 plate is my current option.
    I would say firstly check the physical size of what can fit and particularly being in a colder area and as we come into winter, I'd go big mainly because it will also serve you in good stead if the car has air/con as again, like a c-matic transmission, it can have an adverse effect on it's ability to cope due to the power load.
    It seems that manufacturers seem to always suggest going for the bigger option on European cars for some reason; heavy drain or more likely, dodgy electrics that seem to buckle under our Australian conditions and need all the help they can get.
    As an R25 would be comparable to a CX due to age & size, my suggestion would be to go for a 500/550 X 13 plate if it will physically fit and a 450/480 X 11 plate if it won't.

Alan S
    Last edited by Alan S; 10th June 2004 at 11:15 AM.
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Picked up 550 CCA Exide Evolution last night at Kmart ($10 off sale + discount card ) for $98 (ouch...)

http://exide.com.au/products/

Got one of these in the R21 that is still going strong after 4 years in my last Fuego and now the R21. Just wondering if its overkill and worth swapping for a cheaper one, but I guess you do get what you pay for.

I'd reckon you hit it spot on & from memory, I paid about $125 for a Bosch same size so you've done well.

Alan S

Default battery

undefined

There's no such thing as a 205 re-educator....by the way, I just bought a new battery for a '92 205 SI and went to the Century Batteries website.. It told me I needed a C 57....which didnt suit as the terminals were in the wrong place....We ended up getting a century rc 75

Default battery

Make that a century DIN 53L instead.. it seems all '93 onwards 205s use the DIN 53L but SONE 92's do as well..

And there's still no such thing as a 205 re-educator...although your fuego looks good..

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    I'd reckon you hit it spot on & from memory, I paid about $125 for a Bosch same size so you've done well.

Alan S
    Thats what I wanted to hear Thanks mate This is all just me been a tight arse as per usual..... The carry handle is handy though, with all the stuffing about with various old cars I always seem to end up doing
    Last edited by Haakon; 10th June 2004 at 12:03 PM.

Although it's always better to get a battery thats bigger than you need, a 550 CCA battery for a R25 is overkill. A 450/480 CCA is more than enough for an R25 and easily copes with V6/V8 Commodores and Falcons. Statesmans and Fairlanes with all their electrical gadgetry come with batteries of around 450 CCA and this is not the minimum specification by any means.
    <FONT color=black>But it's your dosh so buy what you're happy with.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><o:p></o:p></FONT></P><P style=[/img]
    BTW, a 550 CCA battery isn't necessarily going to last any longer than 480 CCA battery and in some instances may not last as long.

Ren
    Last edited by REN TIN TIN; 10th June 2004 at 12:14 PM.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i put a 450/480cca battery in the 604 only the other month yet it stated it needed a 550cca

it was still aorund the same price as what you just paid for your battery

the thing i hate when battery shopping is getting one that has round terminals instead of those crappy ford bolt on types that are common place now and getting the terminals the right way around

but after going through a couplr of weeks of charging up batteries here and seeing what was good or bad i would have been better off in the first place to have just gone and got the new one

i still even have the old one from the 306 sitting here

for some reason i can't bring myself to throwing things away
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Icon7

CCA = cold cranking amperage.

"The definition of the Cold-Cranking Amperage (CCA) of an automotive battery is the amount of current a given battery can deliver for 30 seconds at zero (0) degrees F (-17.78 degrees C) without dropping below a specified cutoff voltage (manufacturer-specific, but usually 10.5 volts)."

http://www.bgsoflex.com/cca.html

As a rule of thumb, an engine needs a minimum of one CCA for every cubic inch (16.3871ml) of displacement, and preferably two. The higher the CCA rating of the battery, the better. A typical passenger car battery might be rated at 500 CCA or higher.

Matt.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    CCA = cold cranking amperage.

http://www.bgsoflex.com/cca.html

As a rule of thumb, an engine needs a minimum of one CCA for every cubic inch (16.3871ml) of displacement, and preferably two. The higher the CCA rating of the battery, the better. A typical passenger car battery might be rated at 500 CCA or higher.

Matt.
    Using this formula, a 5 litre V8 would need a 350CCA battery. A 500CCA battery or high is getting into the light truck terrority although they are recommended for some European cars (Volvos and the bigger Merc's, etc.). A typical automotive battery would be in the region of 280 CCA for a smallish 4 cylinder to around 480 CCA for a big 6 or V8.

If you're buying a 500CCA + battery for a typical 4 or 6 cylinder car you're probably wasting money.

Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN
    Using this formula, a 5 litre V8 would need a 350CCA battery. A 500CCA battery or high is getting into the light truck terrority although they are recommended for some European cars (Volvos and the bigger Merc's, etc.). A typical automotive battery would be in the region of 280 CCA for a smallish 4 cylinder to around 480 CCA for a big 6 or V8.

If you're buying a 500CCA + battery for a typical 4 or 6 cylinder car you're probably wasting money.

Ren
    There's no way I'd be using a 360cca battery in any larger French car in particular one with a few klms on it.
    These theories might work OK when a lot of ICs are used and in light loadings, but most Froggies go pretty dodgy in the wiring by the time they're 10 years old and a grotty old Paris Rhone starter that's had it's innards bathed in sump oil leaks for a few years and the corroded earths and all the other grot that grows between the terminal and what it's supposedly making contact with all have to be taken into account and as a result where say a CX in Citroen terms, used to spin quite freely and start on teh turn of the key, now takes a few winds to get it to crank.
    A Cit BX according to the handbook calls for a 12V - 200/33ah and they will kill a 360cca I know for a fact from experience and I have never seen a BX with anything smaller than a 450.
    Haakon's car calls for a 70ah so you be the judge.

Alan S

Thread Information