How to paint a frog on the cheap
  • Register
  • Help

Default How to paint a frog on the cheap

The time has come, the ultimatum has been and gone. If there was a gauntlet it would have been thrown down.

If the pug stays then it has

1. to move under its own power - Done

Advertisement

2. Look like someone has actually to create a uniform paint colour on the outside of the car.

After that little bit of nonsense I am here to ask if people know how to paint a car with a reasonable finish with paint cans.

I am thinking white, as its allready white, and I kinda like white.

Booths or real paint are not an option, I intend this to be done as cheaply as possible.

I have done cans before, it looked okay, I forgot to put a clear coat on top, and it went down hill from there.

So Any one done a can job on a car? Any pointers?

Thanks

Shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

the most important thing is preparation

the top coats will only be as good as the prep you put into it
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Preperation is 95% of the work. If you can do all the hard part, it should be easy enough to get it sprayed. Cost of white paint, thinner & oneshot including sandpaper is probably about 250 - 300 bucks.

You must know someone with a compressor and gun

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Preperation is 95% of the work. If you can do all the hard part, it should be easy enough to get it sprayed. Cost of white paint, thinner & oneshot including sandpaper is probably about 250 - 300 bucks.

You must know someone with a compressor and gun

seeya
    Shane L.

compressors are getting pretty cheap these days

i have seen some good sized ones ideal for this type of thing for around the $150 mark including a kit

not that the spray gun in the kit will be the best but still not bad

i'll be getting a new 15cfm compressor in the next day or so for some work i have just done so i'm not complaining
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Hi Pugrambo,

tell me about it. About 7years ago when I bought my compressor it cost me nearly $1300 by the time I'd purchased the compressor some hose & a regulator. Now you could buy a compressor with the above for about $130bux

However they won't be 17cubic foot all aussie made cast iron twin cylinder Clisby compressor

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

....actyually guys...i think (if car is well preped) one can achieve an excellent result with cans...we r talking white after all....just a matter of patience.....helps to have a still air garage and a clean environment.....

......really easy if u ask me......put a couple of coats on (talking paint here )...making sure there is plenty of paint to rub back should u stuff up...ie paint bleeds....let it sit for a week...then rub back with 1200 to as smooth a finish as u can get.....clean sanded suraface.....heat up the garage.....and apply a few coats of clear.....
    Let it sit for another week......give it a good rub back again to get rid of orange peel.....then use a good cut and polish and bring it up to JUST PAINTED BY A PRO finish (helps to have an electric polisher).....easy.....

I m going to be respraying the 450 slc (black) in a couple of weeks.....but i will be purchasing an air compressor this week...so no more cans......although for small jobs they were still adequate....

cheers

dino

Hi Dino,

the problems with cans is you can get hardly any coverage, ie: the actual amount of material delivered by the can is tiny before you get runs, most of what is sprayed is thinners and rapidly evaporates.

If you use a compressor and proper gun, the actual amount of paint applied is much more with each coat. It's probably work out cheaper to buy the proper paint than the 8356cans that would be required using a can

I'm sure you could get a decent finish with cans, but it'd be a lot of work. Dino, you going to be amazed what you can do with a HVLP gun and putty gun

BTW: Remember don't spray 2pack epoxy paints, we want you around in the future

Just normal cellulose paint is all you can use without a well designed spray booth and air fed space suite (that 2part paint attack you lungs if breathed, the whites of the eyes, it's even obsorbed by your skin).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shobbz
    So Any one done a can job on a car? Any pointers?

Thanks

Shobbz
    Just park it near some disused warehouse at South Brisbane for a night or two. Leave it there long enough and eventually it will all join up

Quote Originally Posted by graham66
    Just park it near some disused warehouse at South Brisbane for a night or two. Leave it there long enough and eventually it will all join up
    I am liking this.

Maybe if I taped the windows and left lots of white cans around................

worth a shot

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Well, I've just finished painting the gate on the chook pen using the aforementioned "Vandal packs" and I personally reckon it looks shocking! I'm going to have to redo it by brush.
    Speaking as one whose done quite a few cars over the years and worked in the Car Industry for a while, I'd say the best way to calculate the respray in fly spray cans and its actual value is this.

Work out how many cans; say 30. Price for middle of the road quality approx $5 a can so that = $150 plus wet & dry etc so possibly double that to around $300 all up.
    Take car to dealer after paint job & ask for a trade - in valuation. Take video camera and film reaction of the gentleman at the tyre kicking emporium. Then send tape off to funniest home videos and at least get $1000 for the humour content or better still, send it to the guys who made "Jackass" the dealers reaction should be about on par with the one who took the hire car to the demolition derby.

I have never & I mean never seen a a spray can paint job on a car that looked anything but absolute crap regardless of how well they try to convince themselves it looks. Not only that, but to try & get rid of the rubbish paint they use if you or anyone in the future decides to do it properly will also multiply due to the fact that other paints will never take over them; they're incompatable, so have to be totally removed and by totally I mean ever skerrick in every nook & cranny or it'll bubble out & lift the good paint.
    I use spray cans on rafdiators and under guards but no way on the outside....

YUK!!

Get a couple of mates over for a couple of weekends, chuck on a barby & hire a compressor.
    Here's a few tips FWIW.

http://www.thebugshop.org/bsfqpnt.htm

Don't make your Froggy look like a toad.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

.....heheheh...

I commented on the cans favourably because they r not a bad option for smaller jobs....yes ofcourse u r better off with a compressor.....u don t have to be to bright to realise this......but IF U KNOW WHAT U R DOING a can is or can be just as good.....at the end of the day....the difference is just APPLICATION QUALITY.....but like Shane said.....cans suffer from lack of paint mass...which means you tend to go through more cans than u would with a compressor......

As for quality......as long as we r not talking pearls......I CAN achieve as good a result with a can as most can with a compressor.....END OF STORY....I m willing to put down my 450slc down to anybody who could tell wether a WHITE car painted by me was painted by a can or compressor.....
    Just a matter of patienece and preperation...and being able to FINISH paint to high gloss levels using good detailing practices....ie cutting and polishing.....
    I was a head detailer at VERMONT RACV repair centre (in fact i was charged with setting-up the detailing department)....
    we were doing a hundred cars a week.....a few weeks after opening.....
    The place had MULTI MILLION dollar paint mixing facility and multiple booths (five i think)...but at the end of the day...me and my crew were STILL cutting and polishing 2-3 cars out of ten......and this is on a set up were the system was designed so cars dont need to be touched after booth.....
    Pride in workmanship was what was lacking which even the million dollar set up could not compensate for....

So Alan we can either be pessimistic with our advice (depending on our experience) or we can be ENCOURAGING and say...hell GIVE IT A GO....
    But dont delude yourself that one can compete in finish with a pro painter if one doesnt have a clue about the basics of painting and finishing....To appriciate paint finishing skills...u just need to see the results the Mequires teams achieve with factory finished MERCS and BEEMERS....
    So having a compressor ceartinly helps...but ultimately its skill and experience that matters

cheers

dino

XTC

Kennards (the hire place) have compressors and guns good enough for cars .. and heat lamps too. Check em out (not idea of cost).

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Dino, I don't know how to tell you this mate, but if you've cut & polished a car that's had a fly spray paint job on it, the reason it looked so well is that you've taken it back to the original paint when you cut it.
    If you're using a paint from one of these so thick that you can buff it, you must firstly be using 1000 cans due to it having to be watery thin to come out of the nozzle and I'll bet quids they aren't 5 bucks a can...am I correct?
    You've basically answered your own argument by saying you can't compare a pro with a backyarder & if you did these kinds of touch ups for a living, you were a pro. I just hate people deluding themselves into thinking they can even come close to doing a half acceptable job when you & I both know that spray cans are a recipe for a disaster in more ways than one & leave the car out in the weather & woohoo what a sight that usually is.
    Get heavy handed or a bit of cold weather & it'll look like a lace quilt with the runs. I'd suggest before he gets too enthused as to how good a job he's likely to do that he buys a can of whatever colour and a can of thinners just in case & try a spray on a panel that isn't all that conspicuous. If it turns out good, then keep on going, but if it is the disaster that they usually are, wash it off with thinners so he doesn't have to live with it; how's that for a compromise?

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

..........i understand what u r saying Alan...and yes your advice does make sense.....like I said its a matter of skill...the tools at dispossal and even the quality of paint purchased......That said there are so called pros out there who have all of the above at their disposal and the finish is still not good enough......i shall not even venture into the area of paint matching.....

Yes i ve done a few touch ups...a few complete resprays (with compressor) and some 1/4 and 1/2 jobs with cans....And u r right ...i m not talking 5 dollar cans...I was inffering that if the car is well preped ie sanded/filled/primed etc....that using a can (multiples) on lets say a guard/bonnet....probbably about 4-5 400gm cans....if followed by 2-3-4 coats of clear...result can be excellent....of course compatability of paints is important.......but once its well cleared u should end up with a good margin to achiueve a good result after cutting and polishing.....

To....sum up....i feel its really a matter of confidence......as in: DO U FEEL LUCKY PUNK....i know i can achieve good results but wether another party feels the same, well thats their call......
    I like to try things out myself...sometimes because i cannot afford alternatives
    (ie...not because i am tight with cash).....I get a lot of satisfaction if i can do the job myself.....if i m unsure...well then i let somebody who knows better do the job...simple....

cheers

dino

get a few big sheets of black plastic and turn the garage into a spray booth. Hire, beg, borrow or buy and compressor and gun - its the ONLY way to do it.

BUY A FACE MASK AND SPARE CARTRIDGES AND WEAR IT ALL THE TIME WHEN PAINTING EVEN WHEN MIXING PAINTS OR FILLING UP THE GUN!!!!!!!!!!
    This stuff is poisouness and will give you cancer and a paint job is not worth stuffing your health!!!! The 2 pak is even more deadly.

Preperation is not 95%, it 99% of the job. Make the effort to take trim, door handles etc off, and make sure the surface is nice.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Yep,

I have to say, I'll agree with Alan. Spray cans are utter crap, and not worth even attempting. I've tried to use spray primer/putty out of a spray can, but even this was pointless (me trying to avoid having to mix paint/clean gun etc... just to spray a tiny bit of panel I've been working on to get straight). All you get is a finish that isn't water proof, full of runs, and you can see through it.

Don't tell me it's 'cos I can't paint. Usually my preparation lets down my paint jobs, but I have paitned about 1/2dozen cars. Were talking mirror finish time work (including all the ripples I didn't fix out of laziness and "bugger it, that'll do" type approach to preparation).

If you don't believe me, come and look at the C-matic I have stashed under a tree at my place. You will not believe it's been painted in a shed when it's finished.

Think:

--sand back all dodgy paint --several solid weekends work (depends on existing paint quality)
    --Fix all tiny door dents, cut out any rust & MIG new metal in, pull off all the exterier trim, MIG the holes closed after dressing the rust that formed around the trim holes (to prevent rust in the future --just stick the trim back on with double sided tape) -- This is where 95% of your time MUST be spent. You entire paint job relies on this step.
    --Several heavy coats of Oneshot primer/filler
    --sand above back
    --Fix all extra stuff you've found from sanding back puttty that you'd missed previously
    --Spray putty all the missed/reparied spots again and sand 'em back.
    --Spend a couple of hours and go over the entire sanded ready to paint car with a strong light and rag to 'polish' any sort of shine to it so as you can see anything you have misse (running you hand over the panel is best, but you need to get a feel for this).
    --Now the easy bit, spray the top coat on. This takes about 0.05% of the time you have spent on the paint job.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    PS: I wouldn't bother would spray cans, it'll only end in grief.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Fellow Frogger!

have you thought about stripping the car yourself and having a cheap paint shop do the job? some place advertise for $600 paint jobs, some will let u do some of the prep yourself, though last time i bogged a car the painter said it asn't good enough so he charged me about as much to fix it as if he had done the whole job in the first place

you'll find that if you buy heaps of spray cans, sand paper etc, or buy paint and hire a compressor, then a lot of your 600 will be spent anyway

Quote Originally Posted by petermelb
    have you thought about stripping the car yourself and having a cheap paint shop do the job? some place advertise for $600 paint jobs, some will let u do some of the prep yourself, though last time i bogged a car the painter said it asn't good enough so he charged me about as much to fix it as if he had done the whole job in the first place

you'll find that if you buy heaps of spray cans, sand paper etc, or buy paint and hire a compressor, then a lot of your 600 will be spent anyway
    Hi Peter,

if there's one thing I've learnt the hard way again & again. It is "If you can feel the repair isn't dead flat, it WILL stand out like dogs balls the second that top coat goes on ". If you can feel the repair under your hand, try again, and again, and again ........ You get the idea (gee's you can spend weeks going in circles

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Administrator

This is so gonna sound like I'm taking the piss, but here goes.

Go down to your local bunnings and by one of those all in one spray paint thingeys (The one we had was called an eager beaver or similar and was made by CIG I think)

They will spray a solid colour such as white (and spray putty) with no problems what so ever.

They cost about $60 all up (with the built on spray gun) and you can paint the back fence when ya done.

With a solid colour (non metalic), just make sure you give it heaps of lightish coats (do not try and get it shiney from the gun on any coats except the last 1 or 2. DO NOT USE CLEAR. Clear should only be used on metalics.

Once you've finished painting it, leave the paint for a few weeks to harden (a hot tin garage is good) and then wet sand it with some 700 then 1000 and then 1200 wet and dry.

Once it is smooth, give it a good machine buff and a final polish and voila, a mirror finish.

Mind you, as has already been stated, the end result will only be as good as the panel underneath.

Good luck.

Here we go,

95 % of the time is to get to here:

4.5 % of the time is to get from above to here:

This is all sanded back as stated by MistaRenault above (after sanding with about 1200grit paper. Looks bloody awful doesn't it

This is what the same panel looks like after you hit it with a buffer:

I've only polished the middle of the guard in that photo, what your seeing is the clouds in the sky above, and the edge of the shed roof.

Preparation is EVERYTHING

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

1000+ Posts

i've used a 8cfm compressor wit a devilbiss GTI gun in my ordinary suburban garage (even though they say you need at least a 12cmf). The result is good and could be excellent with more practice.
    Haakon is right re. safety precautions. Don't touch 2 pack unless you are properly equiped.
    JoBo

well as promised i got my compressor today that was advertised for $230 with an air kit and it has a regulator attached as well

2.5Hp engine and an italian pump

looks pretty good sitting in the office all shiney and new
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Thread Information