European car mechanic near Daylesford?
  • Help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Haakon
  • 1 Post By Whippet
  • 1 Post By Exfrogger
  • 1 Post By DoubleChevron
  • 1 Post By gilberthenry

Thread: European car mechanic near Daylesford?

IWS

Default European car mechanic near Daylesford?

A family member has a 1982 VW Golf (convertabile). Lovley little car. Very low ks, always garaged, and has been well looked after over the years by a metro mechanic.

She has recently moved to the Daylesford area. (To a property with mulitple sheds - one of which houses the car - talk about shed-envy!).

I was there over Christmas - knowing my euro car inclinations, she asked if I knew of a good euro mechanic in the area. She said she had heard there may be such a one at Woodend. I recall mention here in the Forum of someone at Castlemaine.

Advertisement

Tapping into the wisdom of the Froum - any advice for her?

Ian.

Default European car mechanic near Daylesford?

Ballarat is probably your best bet, but Action Autos in Castlemaine isnít terrible. I had them do the water pump in my mums i30 because it easier for me to pay him than drive down from Canberra and it looked like a competent job when I saw the car next.

I supplied the parts and he wasnít a dick about it.

He also bought his daughter a Guilietta as her first car, so he is not Euro phobic.

141 Barker St opposite the old bus depot.

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs
    Last edited by Haakon; 6th January 2020 at 06:51 PM.
    IWS likes this.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Ian.

There is a guy who used to operate in Howitt St, Wendouree (Ballarat) out of the Mr Brakes building who traded as the pug workshop. Last I heard he relocated his workshop back to Castlemaine where he lives. I will PM his contact details to you.
    IWS likes this.

1000+ Posts

From my sister in Daylesford (2011 Golf TDI, 2018 Golf TSI):

The guy that did most of it has moved on. Howes is where we go now. They are pretty solid - been here a while. If they were crap they wouldn’t still be open in a small place like Daylesford.

IWS likes this.
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Dayleford/Castlemaine is the hotrod central of Australia. You should be able to find "real/oldtime" mechanics on every street corner .... They may not want to work on modern junk though (these guys work on pre-40's stuff )

You could try sending gilberthenry a personal message. He seems to be getting a lot of cars worked on in the daylesford region.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    IWS likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Dayleford/Castlemaine is the hotrod central of Australia. You should be able to find "real/oldtime" mechanics on every street corner .... They may not want to work on modern junk though (these guys work on pre-40's stuff )

You could try sending gilberthenry a personal message. He seems to be getting a lot of cars worked on in the daylesford region.
    seeya,
    Shane L.
    Hello Shane,
    I'm not much use in this department. I've been bumbling along, kicking and screaming , on my own. I've never pretended to be any good and it is only because of this site that I kinda get through. We sold Janet's beloved 23 Auto injected Pallas for the very reason that I'm not good enough to maintain what I thought was a complex car. Everything else I can just handle.
    There is a beautiful green Pallas 5 speed in the area. The owners bought it not long ago and know even less than I do. They asked a friend - - where to go for work. I think they have a place in Melbourne so I will try to get a message to them to get onto this Froggy site. There seems to be the odd place in Melbourne but I draw a blank round here.
    Steeley up at Maleny did work on our Special recently before it came down.
    The pair, when I saw the Pallas, said that they know someone in Sydney but are trying to find someone in Victoria.

As far as Castlemaine goes - - if I wanted to put a Chevy V8 into the D Special they'd come up trumps or - - - - I'm thinking - - Up the Creek Motors - - now there's an idea - - - grab a tuned up XK140 Jag motor, Jensen running gear - - cobble it all up and the D Special would be just fine.

John
    Last edited by gilberthenry; 10th January 2020 at 09:38 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by IWS View Post
    A family member has a 1982 VW Golf (convertabile). Lovley little car. Very low ks, always garaged, and has been well looked after over the years by a metro mechanic.

She has recently moved to the Daylesford area. (To a property with mulitple sheds - one of which houses the car - talk about shed-envy!).

I was there over Christmas - knowing my euro car inclinations, she asked if I knew of a good euro mechanic in the area. She said she had heard there may be such a one at Woodend. I recall mention here in the Forum of someone at Castlemaine.

Tapping into the wisdom of the Froum - any advice for her?

Ian.
    Hello Ian,
    I have just thought that there might be a Euro mechanic in Castlemaine. If you are going out of town from Castlemaine you turn right at Chewton where the sign says " to Gaol ". You follow that road where it vears left and then you go what I think is 1st right. There is a workshop about 50 metres on the left or somewhere in that vicinity. I recall that I thought they did modern Citroens and European.
    If you follow that road in a circle you come by "Up the Creek Motors" for when the "family member" wants to upgrade to something decent like a Lancia, Delage or early 50's Bentley Continental.

John
    IWS likes this.

IWS

Thanks all for the helpful suggestions. Much useful advice for my family member to consider (including the "Up the Creek Motors" option!).

Ian

(Update. Spoke to my sister-in-law. Her partner has had his Ford serviced (happily) by Howes. So she is going to stick with them for the Golf. The local advice from the other Golf owner convinced her!)
    Last edited by IWS; 10th January 2020 at 03:29 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by IWS View Post
    Thanks all for the helpful suggestions. Much useful advice for my family member to consider (including the "Up the Creek Motors" option!).

Ian

(Update. Spoke to my sister-in-law. Her partner has had his Ford serviced (happily) by Howes. So she is going to stick with them for the Golf. The local advice from the other Golf owner convinced her!)
    Yes, they are good. I should have thought of them when thinking of modern cars. I'm too much in the Citroen groove.

John

Thread Information