Ghosn escapes! - Page 4
  • Help
Page 4 of 4 First 1234
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Ghosn escapes!

Fellow Frogger!

Renault and Nissan look headed for a split https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-new...t-report-77623

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

International chess game - whose move next...
    Dano likes this.

dvr
    Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by turnbull151 View Post
    Renault and Nissan look headed for a split https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-new...t-report-77623
    That article also says Nissan is upset with Renault because they (Renault) have declined to charge Ghosn with any misconduct.

Fellow Frogger!

Such a bizarre story from start to (eventual) finish.
    How long till the movie comes out? The dramatic escape almost guarantees it. Starring Rowan Atkinson as Ghosn, and Meaghan Markle as his wife.

It is indeed a very strange story. Ultimately we'll find out what happened but it may take a while. For now, I learned that Japan is a lot more different than the rest of the world than I thought, even though I knew it was very different. And I think mainly about the way these companies we so much admire are tied to the Japanese economy. Who knows? Maybe it's all for the interest of Japan, maybe they just want to protect whatever, workplaces, industries, who knows? One thing I noticed over there is they are not very globalised and now I think they don't really want to be, apart from exporting stuff, which is something they are very good at. Maybe they didn't like this foreigner trying to tell them that it is cheaper to buy nuts and bolts from China, and it's the same quality so why should they pay a premium price for something made in Japan, or maybe he wanted to move production offshore or whatnot and then the Japanese thought they won't have that, let's get rid of this guy.

Either way, I would have done a runner too, seeing the way the Japanese justice system operates.

And I understand why Renault/France might not have wanted to indict him. And why the Japanese didn't like that. This way they are sort of left alone, their accusations seem unsupported by other justice systems, which undermines their credibility even further, something they most likely don't appreciate. "Yeah, maybe he did something wrong, but you haven't really convinced us and you haven't made public what you've got on him so we decline to comment" sort of thing. The Japanese legal system will struggle to convince the west and one of the consequences I foresee is that no westerner will decide easily to work there. Moreover, I don't see many companies looking forward to work with them, which kinda leaves them alone. In a global economy, that can't be a good thing. Next time Nissan comes to the brink, I don't think anyone will rush to the rescue or they'll impose such conditions, the Japanese will probably have to give the company away to convince anyone to help.

Well, it was interesting.
    JohnW, Ceenine and jaahn like this.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Renault-Nissan shares drop 40% since Ghosn's arrest.
    Some of this is likely due to other market forces but the alliance is underperforming the market generally.
    The Ghosn factor is sure to be responsible for some of the slide.
    The loss is share value makes the few billion yen the Ghosn allegedly did not declare look like peanuts.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ghosn escapes!-renault.png  
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Bit of a case of "be careful what you wish for" eh...
    JohnW likes this.
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current - 1974 D Special
    : 1976 16TS
    Previous - 1984 CX 25 IE : 1976 16TS : 1979 12 Virage

1000+ Posts

lets see what the new auto trading world becomes with post Brexit and all that and I am sure Japan would like to be part of any new trends even if that means Nissan folds?

Ken

Can't see that Brexit will have any impact on car sales anywhere except the UK.
    There are very few vehicles manufactured in the UK and maybe imports from Asia might increase and imports from Europe might decrease but the UK market isn't big enough to make any difference to the overall world market.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

dvr
    Fellow Frogger!

The UK has a significant car manufacturing industry with huge numbers exported.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...nited-kingdom/
    SLC206 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    Can't see that Brexit will have any impact on car sales anywhere except the UK.
    There are very few vehicles manufactured in the UK and maybe imports from Asia might increase and imports from Europe might decrease but the UK market isn't big enough to make any difference to the overall world market.
    Around 633,000 manufactured last year, with 533,000 exported from the UK.

I hope none of the production workers voted for Brexit.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

1000+ Posts

Well it seems Boris has a windfall return coming as this Electric car doesn't get built in the UK. I wonder if that is some market response or just dreams that didn't come true.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-ne...rce=newsletter

The UK Government has recouped millions of pounds from Dyson after it mothballed its electric car project
    The Government has taken back 7.8m from Dyson, following the vacuum cleaner manufacturer’s decision to scrap its electric car project in October 2019. Dyson received the grant in 2016, amid expectations that the project would bring an engineering and employ- ment boom in the company’s home town of Wiltshire.
    Before Dyson abandoned its electric car project, the company said the Government funding had been given to them to prop up its R&D and education departments, which would continue to work on solid state battery technology. However, after talks with the Department for Business, Dyson has decided to pay back the grant in its entirety.

1000+ Posts

The German and French car makers need the UK market. Big time. The EU ideologues won't hold out for long over motor vehicles. If the EU had stayed as a customs union this wouldn't have happened.
    Kenfuego likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by dvr View Post
    The UK has a significant car manufacturing industry with huge numbers exported.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...nited-kingdom/

Not for long!

They are critically dependent upon free trade with Europe , especially "just in time" ordering etc. They are not alone in this

The queues of lorries at Dover and elsewhere are going to make that all very hard

The car industry has been warning of this for years but politics trumped rationality

Why am I not surprised that politics trumped rationality?

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    Around 633,000 manufactured last year, with 533,000 exported from the UK.

I hope none of the production workers voted for Brexit.
    633,000 manufactured out of global sales of around 77,000,000 or less than 1%.
    Although the number might be appear big in the perspective of the the UK or Australia, it is still a small number globally and 'very few' is not an unreasonable statement.

The trade implications with Europe post Brexit haven't been finalised but if the UK can produce cars competitively then they could survive. It may even open up sources of components mores cheaply from outside the EU and sales of complete vehicle to countries outside the EU. Depending on the deal the UK Brexit negotiators strike with the EU this isn't necessarily a problem.
    There are 22 European countries that aren't in the EU, most notably, Switzerland, Norway, Russia, (okay, a lot of Russia is in Asia) and they survive. Admittedly a lot of the others are former Soviet states in eastern Europe but the market is not insignificant.

Anyway this doesn't really have any bearing in Ghosn's escape or the implications of Ghosn's escape. Nissan have a factory in the UK but Brexit or no Brexit it's probably being evaluated as are all Nissan's operations since Nissan/Renault share tumble after November 2018.
    1972Ren likes this.

Yep. Apparently Nissan are going into a cost cutting mode and that factory in the UK is probably right in the firing line along with many jobs in sales and marketing "in the US and Europe". https://www.caradvice.com.au/823238/...-range-report/
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current - 1974 D Special

1000+ Posts

Why some should not start a corporate war, but then they expected to win, it just hasn't turned out too well. But we will see.

ken

If Renault's and Nissan's share prices keep heading south at the same rate they are now then they'll be ripe for a takeover.
    Maybe PSA have got some money left after taking over FCA and Opel.
    CXVingtCinq likes this.

If Renault's and Nissan's share prices keep heading south at the same rate they are now then they'll be ripe for a takeover.
    Maybe PSA have got some money left after taking over FCA and Opel.
    Yes, quite possible. The take over of Nissan by anyone outside of Japan would be the ultimate loss of face for a lot of Nissan management and Japanese politicians I would think. The fall-out from all the earlier inter and intra company machinations is still playing out and must be a massive embarrassment already.
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current - 1974 D Special

How the mighty hath fallen.
    There was a brief period not long ago where Renault/Nissan/Mitsubishi had the top car sales crown and look at them now.
    All because some executives at Nissan were pissed that Renault were running the show and thought they could do better.
    Twenty years ago Nissan were facing bankruptcy and Renault bailed them out. Memories fade and now they could be facing bankruptcy again, all because of pride and saving face.
    Even if Ghosn was skimming a few million Euros, (which we'll probably never see proven in court), it seems very cheap compared to what the alliance have lost since. They might come back but it will be a hard road.

Fellow Frogger!

Given the attitude of Nissan management in the Ghosn debacle, I would think any foreign company would be very wary of it.

Fellow Frogger!

Even if Ghosn was skimming a few million Euros, (which we'll probably never see proven in court), it seems very cheap compared to what the alliance have lost since. .
    And even then, as I understand it, the allegation only related to non declaration of payments which would be made after his retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by 1972Ren View Post
    And even then, as I understand it, the allegation only related to non declaration of payments which would be made after his retirement.

Yes, failing to declare his golden handshake that he hadn't received yet and was conditional anyway so it might not have been paid at all. (Well it doesn't appear it will be paid now so it's good that he hadn't paid tax).
    He's such a naughty boy he should be locked up and they should throw away the key.
    It's the job of the bean-counters to prepare the tax paperwork and to ensure it complies with the laws of the land.

1000+ Posts

For the interested: https://www.abc.net.au/radionational...mogul/11938046
    ...Carlos's saga...
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

Page 4 of 4 First 1234

Thread Information