• Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Diesels, don't you love them?

JBN

Default Diesels, don't you love them?

Courtesy of the ABC -
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-...pread/11655040

The only comment I have is - Phew! (or perhaps PHEW if you need a solution).

Advertisement

John

Default Diesels, don't you love them?

Undercooked development if only a car company would put some sort of additive system to lower the temp requirements for regeneration.

Gone but not forgotten C5 x7 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time
    Last edited by dmccurtayne; 8th November 2019 at 11:26 AM.
    leithant likes this.
    Garage C5 X7 4008
    Gone but not forgotten 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

1000+ Posts

I cannot get over the number of (mainly VAG and Hilux) owners I come across who have zero idea about filters and regen. We frogs may be few but most know about this. I do like the fitting of a regen switch as in some Toyotas.

1000+ Posts

Diesels aren't for short city trips. Underdeveloped, probably. We have two diesels in the family (not on my recommendation ) both bought new. Yes, with short trips and/or when the filter doesn't get hot enough to burn off the crud they go into limp.
    Ours did not need towing - just a good freeway run and all was good again. Only happened once with each car and when they were quite new.
    I thing the press is exaggerating.
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Surely with the amount of motorways in cities the cars get hot enough and they burn things off

I'd say seeing as VW are one of the major ones noted that yet again their cars are no damn good
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

We have had pef diesels for the last 13 odd years wife drove 10 minutes each way to work at no more than 50 kph never had a problem 307 3008 and C5 the amount of problems we had with the Mazda’s and holdens at work blows me away

Gone but not forgotten C5 x7 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Garage C5 X7 4008
    Gone but not forgotten 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

Fellow Frogger

The people with PSA cars that have trouble with the FAP are those doing many very short trips - say 2km from home to work/station/shops and back 6 days a week and little more. They are quite OK for a mix of local driving and then a few longer trips involving a run on reasonably free flowing 70K urban roads. As an example, an older relative with a 508 (RHH - no adblue) has had no trouble at all with mostly regular runs to the local shops and a couple of longer weekly runs on 60/70K urban roads. It's an error to think they can only be kept running properly by taking them for a fortnightly blast along the freeway at 110 for an hour. It will be where the diesel is most efficient, but it's not necessary to keep the FAP working.

Fellow Frogger!

Our C5 does mostly short trips around town and at 112k has not given any problems. Gets a freeway run about once a fortnight. Only this morning, drove 5 or so minutes home and regeneration was happening when we arrived (rattle from rear of left tailpipe when reversing and a strong smell). It is not unusual that the process is interrupted in our case. Does it automatically try regeneration when next used? A switch would be wonderful.

1000+ Posts

Attn Pugrambo. Here in the big smoke the motorways spend much of the time choked. I have several times had my filter warning come on while on the M2/Gore Hill Fwy. The few 80 kph limited main roads (eg Old/New Windsor Rd) are also useful for regen, but they are being filled with traffic lights and there goes that opportunity.

1000+ Posts

Those articles are written as if we get different versions of the diesel models to the rest of the world.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

There is a straightforward choice to avoid any problems.

JBN

Yes. Buy a 2CV and spend the time regenerating your life.

John
    COL and tomatoes4all like this.

Petrol and diesels will be banned in France by 2040
    So matters not as you will not be allowed to drive those cars anyway on the roads

C'est comme cela que ça se passe
    Exfrogger likes this.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post
    So matters not as you will not be allowed to drive those cars anyway on the roads

Thats not quite true, manufacture of fossil fuel cars will cease in 2040.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post

Damn! Someone remind me to die before I reach 94 years of age.

John

1000+ Posts

Well I must say the Megane diesel seem remarkably free of such problems, just after we got it, I had one slow down episode and since driving it hard to regenerate, that seemed to fix the problem ASAP almost as if the car recognised "we got the message and did it right" and it did so reduce our fuel costs, and is still doing so using COSTCO Diesel sold at a reasonable price.

So much going for it's use..
    Kim Luck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    Well I must say the Megane diesel seem remarkably free of such problems, just after we got it, I had one slow down episode and since driving it hard to regenerate, that seemed to fix the problem ASAP almost as if the car recognised "we got the message and did it right" and it did so reduce our fuel costs, and is still doing so using COSTCO Diesel sold at a reasonable price.

So much going for it's use..
    Ditto for the Koleos. Never experienced limp mode yet as I'm able to notice the DPF light whilst driving and do something about it.....
    Kenfuego likes this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

1000+ Posts

Icon7 Dealing with real conjestion and car numbers and preferred fuels in the U.K.

Spent quite a bit of our recent visit to the UK talking to the locals and a lot of the time on rural roads but most on the motorways as the GPS mostly plots journeys to include motorway travel. With the number of cars on the roads one can understand the concentration of emissions on those motorways, especially when they grind to a halt from 70 mile an hour travel and you wait in idling lines for what seems to be an eternity due to some bank-up, traffic incident and it is alarming when some idiot is chased by five marked police cars at over 100 miles per hour while the rest drive just under the speed limits and listen carefully for the advance warnings given by our GPS, of speed changes, speed and congestion camera's and the constant checking of average speed zones with the big brother aspect of number plate recognition technology ever present. But the speeders (probably in stolen cars or with stolen number plates) don't seem to care.

Very early in our trip North I had the opportunity arise to contribute to a Councils PCN pile somewhere near the gallows crossing huge and complicated round-a-bout where if one is unfamiliar with the area, picking the exits is a bit of a guesstimate and losing the voice assist of the GPS just adds to the distractions when it had performed well the previous day, my good lady doubled down with the old trusty map to navigate (she is an excellent navigator!!) however it appears that we missed a vital turn off in the exit count, also, many of the signs are obscured by vegetation growth.

Whatever my simple solution was to drive on and then take the first normal road left to get back on track, and that was easy as the road was virtually devoid of traffic! so easy to negotiate it and back to the wanted road.

What I didn't know was that the reason the road was devoid of traffic at that time in the morning was this was a designated Bus priority route during certain times, and the local council do monitor this with CCTV cameras and of course impose a 130 pound stirling fine but if paid within 14 days of the occurrence the fine is reduced to 65 pounds! You could of course make a plea that we didn't know this rule until we actually drove with a local in Scotland and she advised which roads only busses could travel on!

Of course the hire car people being very efficient pay the 65 pound fee on your behalf, but add a 40 pound "administration fee" that is covered in the "fine print" and when you mention a plea for leniency, the council just says as the fine has been paid, case closed!

Ah well just a contribution to the administration cost of running Great Britain, and not worth bothering about. Must catch lots of visitors but that is not an excuse.. and you are left wondering what is still to come.

Still after so many visits to the old country over the years touch wood, never any previous problems on those trips, so on average, overall we can't complain.. just a learning curve.

The trip was fine even if I was fined..

I was particularly on the look-out for the number of electric vehicles in general use in the suburbs and also on the motorways as in a place like the UK with inversion weather, air quality is often under smog conditions.

Rather disappointingly, the take up of electric vehicles is very limited among everyday citizens, and when I asked about Diesels, most hire cars and delivery trucks run on that fuel. Speaking to local drivers and commercial people there is some angst over past governments encouraging a change to Diesel and then recently slapping higher fuel tax on those very cars and trucks that were purchased, and resistance to taking up incentives (not enough apparently) to change again to electric.

I took a number of photographs of "Free" charging points put in by some Scottish councils where parking fees are waived while a car spends a limited time in the council car park.

Some councils are raking in money by declaring their up market residential areas as low emission zones where it appears CCTV number plate recognition backs a "scaled tax" depending on the fuel used in traversing the area. Most people in those areas seem to use public transport due to extreme traffic hassles and in Scotland Pensioners, get highly subsidised train and bus travel concession like one pound to travel between centres.

Still the take up of electric vehicles seems limited in the big cities, most of the "free" charging points weren't being used. I saw my first three Teslas using their own designated charging points at a Welcome Break Motorway stop but surrounded by a thousand or more ICE fuelled cars using the same car park.

My limited survey of a cross section of ordinary British residents seemed to indicate, a them and us attitude and a resistance to the cost of changeover. Probably a better way to promote a move to EV's would be for all councils and public utilities, Government fleets, to be changed over to EV,s that are replaced every 12 months and that would create a pool of cheaper 2nd hand vehicles perhaps near tax free.

At the same time mandate that all UK hire car companies have only EV vehicles to cater for visitors and give a generous fleet changeover rate to encourage fleet replacement. Some incentives could be given to fleet owners of commercial delivery vehicles and cost replacement subsidised for the same reason while monitoring the knock on cost added (or removed!!) from delivery of goods to the UK Public.

These sorts of policies could make an easier changeover in short order and perhaps overcome the resentment and resistance that seemed to come up at every level of conversation when the opportunity presented itself and that was a universal response in the limited time I was in the U.K.

I need to seek out a hosting photo archive as many of the photo's I took, paint their own pictorial message of a delightful and informative trip.

I did find one large free car park in Scotland every other one had a one or two pound time limit charge and it was a bit disconcerting to have to pay a pound to check the air in my tires at a "service" station! Joys to come for us in Australia.

Ken!
    Last edited by Kenfuego; 11th November 2019 at 11:35 AM.

1000+ Posts

Not much incentive for EV makers to reduce their prices if we taxpayers pay subsidies?
    Kenfuego likes this.
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo View Post
    Not much incentive for EV makers to reduce their prices if we taxpayers pay subsidies?
    Quite true Jobo, although taypayer subsidies are already paid as incentives, be it reduced registration or waived statutory fees, grants of free land for development, generous credits for installing infrastructure and ability to write off certain investment and reduce overall tax, I was probably just musing possibilities after coming up against very solid resistance from the very people that are claimed to benefit directly and indirectly and how one can make the costly move to new equipment palatable to the general public.

Main trouble of course is that they know they were lied to repeatedly by the same establishments that now want them to underwrite the huge cost of such a huge changeover the average voter knows their pocket will be picked in whatever way and most just want to find the least costly way to transition if they must. Creating a large pool of secondhand vehicles could depress prices and there are ways of keeping an eye on any that want to rip off or exploit markets.

The UK is almost the birthplace of aggressive taxation on all levels and if a small part can be employed to help win over Mr and Mrs Average with clear benefits then all is good. You either make it sporty and competitive and accessible to a wide cross section or leave it to evolution in the long term, but some want to be dictatorial in the short term and that causes problems like the yellow vest movement In France and no one wants that level of violence.

The ability of the rich to adapt easily after all they have the flashy money to spend and seemingly offset their indulgent lifestyles and status but also easily labelled as that indulgent class as buying and claiming some version of sainthood by example, but known as virtue signalling and that does much to divide and create haves and have nots in society, too much of that already evident in the long history of the UK.

The other way would be to throw open the challenge to the eccentric English inventors and deregulate to create a new backyard class of inventors building and selling their own vehicles. Now I would like to see that encouragement and lots of electric personal transport vehicles running on a smidgeon of electricity.

After all schools and community groups were encouraged to produce solar powered vehicles not long ago, how good would that be for all us urban dwellers to encourage personal cost free transport, a new generation of milk floats. Take away the repressive regulation and remove a level of goods and services tax and invention would boom even in this country. Could have its own downsides of course if it was taken too far.

If EV's should be popular and good for health and community, then needs to be more innovative ways to encourage the trend IMHO! and have the ultimate market work to help itself ! But don't try to sell them a lie or sugar coat a bitter pill of truth.

Ken

1000+ Posts

Well my son does (love diesels) - look what he's just bought (with a little help from Dad doing the leg work)!

Pure diesel power!

This little kitten will have to be careful not to upset my son's venerable (and probably grumpy) 307 HDi. Fluttering her eyelashes just won't cut it!

Cheers

Alec
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diesels, don't you love them?-picasso.png  
    Stuey, Kenfuego, fnqvmuch and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    The UK is almost the birthplace of aggressive taxation on all levels and if a small part can be employed to help win over Mr and Mrs Average with clear benefits then all is good.
    Ken
    What you say is only partially true. The real reason for Brexit is that the EU has proposed (and possibly by now enacted) legislation to make it illegal for member corporations to shift profits by transfer pricing, offshoring and all the other clever little schemes British companies in particular use to avoid paying taxes within the jurisdictions of their operations. The Big End of town went into overdrive quoting loss of control of their borders and immigration among other irrelevant but populist appeals to Mr and Mrs Average to prevent this effective and just legislation applying to Britain by starting Brexit. So much for the integrity of British companies.
    JoBo likes this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

1000+ Posts

The real reason for Brexit is a lot of British people are sick of living under the increasingly restrictive rules of Brussels. I've not lived there. Just the impression gained from the British press and of course the referendum result and its regional variations. Globalism doesn't suit everyone.
    Kenfuego likes this.

1000+ Posts

Icon14 Brexit is just so political and feeling run high - why it was not mentioned!

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    What you say is only partially true. The real reason for Brexit is that the EU has proposed (and possibly by now enacted) legislation to make it illegal for member corporations to shift profits by transfer pricing, offshoring and all the other clever little schemes British companies in particular use to avoid paying taxes within the jurisdictions of their operations. The Big End of town went into overdrive quoting loss of control of their borders and immigration among other irrelevant but populist appeals to Mr and Mrs Average to prevent this effective and just legislation applying to Britain by starting Brexit. So much for the integrity of British companies.
    I deliberately avoided mentioning Brexit, though that of course was an everyday subject under discussion in private conversations and in the media comment of the day in British households while we stayed with them.

Hard to avoid it, but tried to leave it out as it is pure politics and entrenched beliefs. For what it is worth many just want Britain out any which way politicians be dammed, just as the referendum supported, but now opposed by elite establishment types who didn't like losing the referendum according to media.

One observation -given the mood of a cross section of ordinary workers in the community, it could be a wipe out for any party who does not recognise the intensity of feeling to get it, Brexit over and done with the least manipulation by European arrogance and interest.

That seems to put your conclusion at odds with the reality I saw at first hand and feelings conveyed vehemently to me but that aside, time and an election will provide the ultimate answer. Hopefully for all it will be definite in its outcome as many are sick of the way Brexit has been dragged out.

Regards
    Ken.

1000+ Posts

As Eddie Booth would say; Blood-y Nora!

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information