• Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kooti

Thread: 1989 Peugeot 206 problems

Default 1989 Peugeot 206 problems

Hi everyone

looking for further help.

Advertisement

A friend has a 1989 Peugeot 206 which he has completely rebuilt, however we are having a problem bleeding rear brakes. all brakes have been rebuilt, rear brakes have new wheel cylinders. we have tried normal foot pedal bleeding, pressure bleeding, have been only able to get them working once and then next time nothing. Does anybody know the trick to bleeding them?

Also in need of instrument cluster for same vehicle. 1989 - 206 manual, cluster is a 2 plug connection. only ones i have been able to find are for automatics or for later models with single plug connection. Maybe someone can tell me if the Automatic cluster 2 plug can be adapted for the manual.
    Problem with the one we have is the connector for the odometer readout has broken away form the main housing.

Appreciate any help.
    Thanks Kooti

Fellow Frogger!

Is it a 1989 205, or a 1999 206?

In either case, maybe there is a compensator valve on the rear brake lines that needs dealing with in some way to allow a full bleed.
    1984 505 Executive Auto

206 GTi 180 - '804 Cat Cams, Jenvey DBW 48mm ITB's, AT Power Dry Sump, Emtron KV8 ECU, HP Electronik PDM, AIM MXS Dash, Custom Wiring Harness. AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, Custom Radiator and Oil cooler, 3J Plate LSD, E85.

Sandown - 1:31.5, Winton - 1:40.2, Wakefield - 1:11.05, Phillip Island - 1:55.9, The Bend (International) 2:23.2
    Nürburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

Thanks Speaksgeek.
    I tend to agree with you. the only thing we haven't tried is bleeding the vehicle sitting on the ground. At the moment we have tried while it is sitting on stands.
    Appreciate the feedback
    Cheers Kooti

1000+ Posts

There is a compensation valve tucked up near the RHS rear shock absorber I think (206). I'm not sure if it has a bleed screw on it.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thanks Stuey.
    Everything is pointing to the compensation valves being the issue. Lots of people out there on google have had the same issue with 206, however finding information on how to fix problem is difficult.
    Appreciate you help
    Kooti

1000+ Posts

Other than making sure the compensation valve is open (eg. stands under the rear arms so the weight is on the suspension) the main issue is that the valve is so high compared to the wheel cylinders. You can just picture the air pumping down a bit towards the caliper, then rising back up when the flow slows and never being expelled.

I think a quick pressure bleed with high fluid volume is probably needed to keep the air flowing out until it's expelled (a pressure bleeder that replenishes the reservoir). If you could get the wheel cylinders up high it might work, but of course you can't as they mount through the backplate. Calipers, maybe.

I sympathise as I hate bleeding brakes! It's always difficult to get a good pedal feel.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thanks to all who responded.
    All is now good with the brakes. It seems once we got vehicle on the ground it sorted itself out. Compensation valves seemed to be the issue???? "Very Frustrating Event"
    Cheers
    Stuey likes this.

Thread Information