(French) Video: 205 GTi vs 206 S16 vs 206 HDi tuned
  • Register
  • Help

Default (French) Video: 205 GTi vs 206 S16 vs 206 HDi tuned

G'Day all!

It's a comparative video with 206 S16 "full-stock", 205 GTi 1.9 "light-tuned" and 206 2.0 HDi "tuned" (+115hp & 280Nm) on the french higway.
    There are just acceleration and top speed tests but it's nevertheless interressant.
    And very funny when one Laguna and one 406 play with them.

The video:

http://perso.club-internet.fr/deurfb/letestfin.avi

130mo...yes I know it's big, sorry!

Advertisement

a very odd form of racing - Ive seen a good one with R21 Turbos as well. Must have been funny to have a stock laguna blow the doors off their hotty 206s! Does everyone drive like that on french motorways? I know they do in Italy, but the roads are pretty bad.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

nJm

There are heaps of these sorts of videos around. Seems to be a popular past time in Europe, although most of them are with more exotic cars like when the local Ferrari club gets together.

Mind you, I'll never forget being on a British motorway in a old Peugeot 205 1.1L GL doing 85mph (136km/h) and being overtaken by diesel VW Golfs and Vauxhall Astras who were going at a much more rapid rate. The speed limits on these motorways are 70mph (112km/h), but no one really pays much attention to that.

I've heard that in France they now keep track of your speed by taking photos of your numberplate at each toll gate you pass through, so they can work out how quickly you got there from the previous one.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    a very odd form of racing - Ive seen a good one with R21 Turbos as well. Must have been funny to have a stock laguna blow the doors off their hotty 206s! Does everyone drive like that on french motorways? I know they do in Italy, but the roads are pretty bad.
    Yeah, this Laguna (V6 or 2.0T?) shows its power! And the 406 drop at +225km/h with all the family on board...not wise.

The french higway are famous to be best of Europe, without making the chauvinistic one. Limit max is 130km/h (according to portion and climatic condition) but the police was very laxist with no enough control of speed and many people exceeded this limit.
    Since last year, gouvernment exploits the mode of repression (like much other european countries) and set up a few hundreds of fixed automatic radars... which will be a few thousands at the end of year.
    This decision is discussed in France (especially on the sites) even if it already had a positive point on the number of died on the road and the bad habits of certain French drivers. These radars are seen also like a really jackpot for the government because that already brought back a colossal receipt.
    Before the repression, it would be necessary to use of the prevention no?

In short the mean velocity on motorway has clearly dropped but we can always to play a little, I think of the country roads. I drive often in Italy and the behavior is very close in France... except that on our country one is more quickly nervous and coarse.

Quote Originally Posted by nJm
    There are heaps of these sorts of videos around. Seems to be a popular past time in Europe, although most of them are with more exotic cars like when the local Ferrari club gets together.
    Yes, it's "popular" and okay, there are more crazy as video but the comparative one is nevertheless sympathetic and interressant.
    And the safety margins are rather respected that then it is not often the case with certain rich owners of thoroughbred.

Mind you, I'll never forget being on a British motorway in a old Peugeot 205 1.1L GL doing 85mph (136km/h) and being overtaken by diesel VW Golfs and Vauxhall Astras who were going at a much more rapid rate. The speed limits on these motorways are 70mph (112km/h), but no one really pays much attention to that.
    England (and the rest of UK) is the most repressive country of Europe: there are radars everywhere, much of control and the fines are very expensive. What makes of it to the best student in term of a number of died on the road.
    Only their road is not always good to be "played" and their country is not a crossroads of several countries.
    But that remove nothing on their self-control and their attitude very respectful (in UK!) and unknown of other Europeans.

I've heard that in France they now keep track of your speed by taking photos of your numberplate at each toll gate you pass through, so they can work out how quickly you got there from the previous one.
    In fact it's a manner of calculating your mean velocity with your tickets of passage. For the photographs of numberplate, she are take by the automatic radars. A host computer receives the pictures of the cars in effraction and makes an automatic recognition of the numberplates.
    After this, he sent always in an autonomous way the fines at your home. For present the foreigners of the Euro zone are still protected but that goes changed with the next European decrees.
    The trucks and also the motor bikes are still not disturbed with these automatic radars.

PS: the price of the fines start to 90€ and you cost 3 points. In France, the license to drive is calculating by point. At the beginning there are a total of 12 points. If you are at more 50km/h of the limit, you are removed the licence until a judgement with the court.

PS2: sorry for the faults of my english.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lapalisse
    PS2: sorry for the faults of my english.
    Cela est bien le camarade, vous devez entendre nous parle le français! Déplorable !

What program are you guys using to play the video? My Windows Media Player (latest version) won't work- it tries to download the codec and then gets an error???
    David
    Former 306 S16 owner- now own a Mondeo ST24 V6

Quote Originally Posted by graham66
    Cela est bien le camarade, vous devez entendre nous parle le français! Déplorable !
    Vous m'en voyez alors rassuré!

What program are you guys using to play the video? My Windows Media Player (latest version) won't work- it tries to download the codec and then gets an error???
    Try with the wmp9 or latest version of BsPlayer.
    The format or this video is Divx v5.

nJm

Mine just played in Quicktime.

A handy program to have though is VLC. It is available for Windows, Mac OSX and Linux. It plays ALL video formats. Is fantastic.

Sounds like France has a similar demerit points/fining system to Australia.

I found in the UK that most of the speed cameras were well sign posted and the camera itself was painted fluro yellow! Much easier to spot than the hidden cameras we have.

I've been talking to some friends who live in America. They say speed cameras are unconstitutional (privacy etc), so you get police men sitting in cars with radar guns. If you're doing more than 15mph over they will chase after you, pull you over and give you a ticket. That sounds like quite a reasonable system to me.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by nJm
    I've been talking to some friends who live in America. They say speed cameras are unconstitutional (privacy etc)
    Very very interesting ... they can't take a photo of you without permission .. wasn't there some sort of SA law that was going to enforce the media to get permission from you before publishing your picture ??? Did that ever happen? Damn good ided .. trial by media is just unconstitutional.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

nJm

It might be in America, but remember our lovely little country doesn't have a Bill of Rights....

They are only implied. Our constitution does have some wonderfully useful bits about wages of MPs, and manages not to mention the Prime Minister.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

Another vote for the VLC player here, only about 6mb and solves all of your video watching problems. Great for vcds and svcds too.

Dave

Thread Information