• 1 Post By robmac
  • 1 Post By WLB
  • 1 Post By 59 Floride
  • 2 Post By Dano
  • 1 Post By 59 Floride
  • 1 Post By Dano

Thread: Wireless car speakers.

Default Wireless car speakers.

Does anyone have info on how to or is it possible to install separate stereo wireless speakers into a car.

I don't plan on installing permanent speakers into either the 404 and 203. The plan is to use my smart phone as the source, i.e. radio, spotify for music etc. and transfer the speakers from car to car as required. This will also negate the issue of cutting holes in trim panels. I guess there will be a need for an amplifier and bluetooth thingy somewhere in what I want to do.

Advertisement

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dan

Dano,

I suspect you will end purchasing "add on" bluetooth speakers" from your local shop and fabricating some unobtrusive brackets to support them.

Many of these bluetooth external speakers have an inbuilt battery packs so you won't need to power them.

I'm thinking something like this :
    https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/u...14611439452258
    Dano likes this.

1000+ Posts

I few snags I can see with the above. I wouldn't fancy sitting Li-ion batteries in a hot car interior, and I think you'd get sick of charging them and them going flat at an inopportune moment. Then if you decide to install power wires, you may as well have wired speakers. And thirdly, they may be thief attractants, being so easily removed.

Just my thoughts.

I've been a member over at diyaudio for years so I had a look in the car audio section and there was nothing at all there. That forum is really creative with all things audio and I would have expected if to could be done usefully it would have been done by one of them.

I know it's not as good 'sound stage' wise, but what about a single Bluetooth unit that you take out in your bag? My son has a cracking Bose Soundlink Revolve unit which I'm amazed by and has a 360 degree sound - good sound, pretty deep bass and goes very loud without distortion. I have a pretty good home stereo and could listen to this no worries.

I know where to mount it is an issue and it depends how you are with your in car sound. Just throwing that out there.
    Dano likes this.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

BOOM 3 runs on the same battery technology as some of the most crave-worthy electric cars. BOOM 3 will stay powered and pumping tunes for 15 hours* on a single charge.
    Theft is an issue with anything not bolted down in a car.

I'm not sure the batteries are LiFe.

The OP stated what he wished to achieve and part of the brief was a BT connection without any permanent speakers.

I simply suggested one method of of achieving it.
    Dano likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Icon14

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post

The OP stated what he wished to achieve and part of the brief was a BT connection without any permanent speakers.

I agree
    Dano likes this.

Hi Robmac,

Something like that. I already have the holder and speaker ideas in my head, so that is covered. My real problem is having an idea, but no knowledge of these things. What I want to achieve is as per the diagram below. I am pretty sure, that it will have to be a purpose built thing, using a series various kits comprising of amplifiers, transmitters, receivers and some form of Bluetooth thingy (?). The speakers will have to have some form of rechargeable power supply inbuilt. My goal is to have no wires at all, except the initial connection to the phone.

Car speaker idea.jpg

If you or anyone else have any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Cheers

Dano

Don't worry about speakers
    They never had them originally.
    Just use some wireless earbuds
    Easy and no probs

Thanks for the replies so far.

Stereo is not that important, considering the acoustics of an opened window car without air-conditioning. I do want to use two speakers though.
    The speakers in mind are purely a novelty option.
    I wouldn't be leaving the speakers in the car as they are to be transferred between two cars. It will be a bit like you phone or tablet, you have to charge it/them overnight.

Also with tongue in-cheek, earbuds and hearing aids don't fit in the ear at the same time. Only did that once... Plus it is a bit hard to have a conversation with a passenger, when you are the only one with ear buds.

Cheers.

Dano

JayCar have a speaker that appears to do exactly what I have in mind. So the next step is find out what components/kits are inside and see if I can conjure up a system, that will work within the speaker housings I have in mind.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/medias/sys...manualMain.pdf

1000+ Posts

That's a copy of a JBL unit which I'm intimately familiar with as I repaired one for my nephew; a detached inductor from being dropped. It's so similar I'd be surprised it doesn't come from the same factory.
    Dano likes this.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

Ahhhhhh...........ok?

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

given a 203 i'd change pockets in the front doors to acoustically-transparent fabric replacements, so the large void behind could be speaker boxes ... maybe.
    grandC4picasso RHB, [email protected] , EGS6Sp, B58, MY 2012-2013 (?)

Quote Originally Posted by Dano View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far.

Stereo is not that important, considering the acoustics of an opened window car without air-conditioning. I do want to use two speakers though.
    The speakers in mind are purely a novelty option.
    I wouldn't be leaving the speakers in the car as they are to be transferred between two cars. It will be a bit like you phone or tablet, you have to charge it/them overnight.

Also with tongue in-cheek, earbuds and hearing aids don't fit in the ear at the same time. Only did that once... Plus it is a bit hard to have a conversation with a passenger, when you are the only one with ear buds.

Cheers.

Dano
    If you are a twin ear hearing aid user, and your aids have a"loop feature" you could consider a loop audio set up. Which could be done with a couple turns of cable in the perimeter of the headliner.

You would need an audio amp to drive the loop and could connect to your phone via the headphone output and even a stand alone Bluetooth device.

I effectively use "loop" for TV watching and leave the aids mics connected, at a lower volume, in order to be able to converse.

This works very well, because most of the extraneous noise is removed from the TV audio.

Loop audio is very simple in principle, effectively a loop of wire with suitable resistors in series connected to the loudspeaker terminals of an audio amplifier.
    Dano likes this.

WLB

... I'm thinking something like this :
    https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/u...14611439452258
    I can certainly vouch for those. My son has had one for quite a while. Very very impressive.
    As are these little JBL units. He gave me one for my last birthday. https://tinyurl.com/y2wehmxe
    The base is impressive, as is the volume.

My suggestion would be to get one of these and place it under the dash, where you can plug it into a hidden USB power source, if you need more than 5 hours playing time between recharges. Then if you don't think it's loud enough or doesn't 'fill' the interior enough, buy a 2nd one.

You won't need an amp. The phone's Bluetooth transmission will be sufficient.
    Dano likes this.

Went to Jaycar in Aspley yesterday and spoke to an assistant about what I had in mind. His initial response was like some of the suggestions put forward here. The look on my face must have said, “There must be a away”. Anyhow about an hour later, after having working through a couple of ideas and discussing an prototyping various kits with another assistant; I left with a bag full of kits and a couple of hand drawn schematics. Time will tell if the various components will fit into and work within the proposed housing. Already, an issue has popped up, two of the kits power down if not used within 5 minutes. This will mean additional on/off external buttons/rods will need to engineered into the housing. Unfortunately, switching on won’t be as straight forward as hoped, as both speakers will need to be turned on before using. Hopefully, I’ll have them up and running next week.

...don't worry about any muzac in an old car mate, for the first 2 years you will be listening for the source of rattles and/or admiring the sound of that beastly 4 cylinder engine that you've just installed. I see no point in having a modern sound system in a period car in which you've gone to so much effort to keep the original feel, it doesn't make sense.

Just enjoy the music of the old car.
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 5th October 2019 at 08:11 AM.
    jo proffi likes this.

My friend, I totally agree with your sentiment,

But you know what it is like, you get an idea and it just keeps nagging away until you do it. Ha, Ha.

More than once, my brothers have called me peDANtic.

Dano

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    ...don't worry about any muzac in an old car mate, for the first 2 years you will be listening for the source of rattles and/or admiring the sound of that beastly 4 cylinder engine that you've just installed. I see no point in having a modern sound system in a period car in which you've gone to so much effort to keep the original feel, it doesn't make sense.

Just enjoy the music of the old car.
    59 Floride and WLB like this.

Yes I do know what it's like but being pedantic can drive you mad, don't ask me how I know this.

WLB

Any update, Dano? Did it work?

Umm yes and no. Unfortunately, there was a small delay between each speaker. It was enough to cause a muffled/gabbled audio output. So, plan ‘B’ has been actioned. Now waiting on some PCB modules to arrive. They’re on a slow boat from China. Delivery time was quoted as 25 - 30 days. The guys at Jaycar have been really helpful. They are keen to help me as they think the concept is kind of unique. Will keep you updated.
    WLB likes this.

Thread Information