Renault Floride wreck photos
  • Register
  • Help
    Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Default Renault Floride wreck photos

Here are some photos I took this afternoon of the Floride wreck.

The local dump dweller sprung me and came over to inform me that
    "Hey mate. it's a RENAULT FLUORIDE." He had a big healthy white smile on him.

Advertisement

Anyways he says it's for sale for $350 negotiable.
    How much is Fluoride per Kilo these days?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Floride wreck photos-floride1-small-.jpg   Renault Floride wreck photos-floride2-small-.jpg  
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen
    Here are some photos I took this afternoon of the Floride wreck.

The local dump dweller sprung me and came over to inform me that
    "Hey mate. it's a RENAULT FLUORIDE." He had a big healthy white smile on him.

Anyways he says it's for sale for $350 negotiable.
    How much is Fluoride per Kilo these days?
    I was under the impression you were talkng about an abandoned vehicle you found in the bush somewhere which needed rescuing before the developer's move in. Is this the same car? Looks like part of a wrecker's collection. No wonder you got sprung

I fold.

It is on a piece of land that is about to be flattened for development.
    What you see is the back of the property where the guy has about 20
    cars in various state of decomposition.
    He said $350, I am sure someone keen could take it away for a couple hundred.
    I don't know what they're worth . Lifted the lid and all the engine in one
    piece. Thought it might interest someone.
    Don't know much about renaults but surely this must be as rare as hens teeth.

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

nJm

I saw one that was being restored at my mechanic's workshop. Beautiful car. I must admit I've only ever seen one other.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

The windscreen is worth having by the look of it.

The hardest bits to find for these now are the detail fittings, lenses etc.

If it is really rusty the existence of those items would be the real determinant of what it is worth. The owner would probably rather sell it than crush it so making a more obscenely low offer closer to the crunch date could secure it.

You do need to do an inventory of what exactly is there and make a decision.
    Open air storage is a killer. If the trim pieces, tail light bases and lenses, hood frame etc are there you could make money out of it even at the asking price.

Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

Originally posted by BogMaster
    .....Open air storage is a killer.....
    Especially on the coastal strip in that part of the world... there's a wrecker in that area who has cars that are literally eaten away up to the waistline.

He's too dear in his pricing too, so there's not much point in mentioning the good 504TI he has there, nor the 504 diesel or the couple of early 505s...

That's worth $50 and he should give you a cup of tea and some butternut snaps and make a day of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Warwick
    That's worth $50 and he should give you a cup of tea and some butternut snaps and make a day of it.
    I'm with Warwick! Buy it for the transmission and, if lucky, the cylinder head and, as Ray said, any surviving fittings. And the butternut snaps of course.

JohnW

The original Floride motor and tranny isn't going to be a big demand item. If it's there it would obviously be worth storing in case someone wants it. If there are tail light lenses and bases, interior details like the mechanism for attaching the soft top to the windscreen, the actual soft top frame, the aluminium side strips, headlight rings...stuff like that (The sun visors at least look like they are in tact.) there would be a really good reason for saving it. The windscreen alone would be worth grabbing and storing.

What's in the boot?

A lot of Florides seem to have running gear, motor and transmission from an 8/10 fitted. If you haven't got a desire to have the thing totally original/pristine it is probably a better way to go plus the parts aren't that much of a problem. The set up is a bit easier to work with as well and you get disc brakes.

I can see why you might want to keep the dauphine type set up in a Floride that is in good collectible condition but otherwise you are better off going with the mod cons from the later vehicles.

Last edited by BogMaster; 5th June 2004 at 10:44 AM.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BogMaster
    The original Floride motor and tranny isn't going to be a big demand item. If it's there it would obviously be worth storing in case someone wants it. If there are tail light lenses and bases, interior details like the mechanism for attaching the soft top to the windscreen, the actual soft top frame, the aluminium side strips, headlight rings...stuff like that (The sun visors at least look like they are in tact.) there would be a really good reason for saving it. The windscreen alone would be worth grabbing and storing.

What's in the boot?

A lot of Florides seem to have running gear, motor and transmission from an 8/10 fitted. If you haven't got a desire to have the thing totally original/pristine it is probably a better way to go plus the parts aren't that much of a problem. The set up is a bit easier to work with as well and you get disc brakes.

I can see why you might want to keep the dauphine type set up in a Floride that is in good collectible condition but otherwise you are better off going with the mod cons from the later vehicles.

Strictly a parts car. You're better off buying one of these instead:

http://floride1.notlong.com
    http://floride2.notlong.com

It would work out heaps cheaper.

What's in the boot?

Well, that's all true and I don't disagree entirely.

However, those early 4 speed boxes were used (or the casing) in a few sports-racing cars (maybe some early Elfins?) and I've heard there is some demand for the casings.

Then the head is a Dauphine Gordini one - again worth grabbing.

Cheers

JohnW

agreed John and Graham......the car in the photos is parts only. The motor and transmission would be worth keeping.

I dunno about the 14,000 spondulas for a restored one though. I can see how you could spend that kind of money doing it, but if I was in the market I'd be looking at something less pristine for a lot less money. I'm not sure how collectable they will be in the future so I'd be weighing up collectable -do I spend that money then keep in semi mothballed pristine state vs more affordable - fun to hoon about in. Maybe one of each would be a good compromise.

Personal preference would be for an 8/10 conversion or a Caravelle(although the scoops on Florides look great) with a 1.4 in it. One of these days I might start on the one I have stuffed in my carport.

If anyone wants the original transaxle let me know as they would be more than welcome to it - the motor on mine was in pieces and hopelessly corroded.

Check this one out again harrisson and save it if you can...or strip it of any easily removed bits and pieces. I don't doubt you would be able to get your money back on the for sale section on the forum.

Last edited by BogMaster; 5th June 2004 at 01:26 PM.

agreed John and Graham......the car in the photos is parts only. The motor and transmission would be worth keeping.

I dunno about the 14,000 spondulas for a restored one though. Personal preference would be for an 8/10 conversion or a Caravelle(although the scoops on Florides look great) with a 1.4 in it. One of these days I might start on the one I have stuffed in my carport.

If anyone wants the original transaxle let me know as they would be more than welcome to it - the motor on mine was in pieces and hopelessly corroded.

Agree with most of that too, although I'd personally go very easy on adding power! We had a Caravelle S in Kenya at one time, with 1100cc and the twin throat Weber, and that was about right for the car. Not the stiffest shells....

I reckon the Florides look nicer but the Caravelles are much more driveable. (I presume I'm now in trouble.)

JohnW

I posted those photos in case someone out there is interested in it.
    Myself no I m not particularly attracted to a Floride, if I was to redo a car it would have to be citroen. Nevertheless it will be a shame to see it probably taken to the dump.

Cheers.

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW

I reckon the Florides look nicer but the Caravelles are much more driveable. (I presume I'm now in trouble.)

JohnW
    No you would be right..the 8 was a major improvement over the Dauphine, the Caravelle is an 8 in drag.

The 1.4 isn't a major problem, as you say the shell is a bit flexible, but in the states and Canada there are heros who have stuffed Gordini motors and worse into them without too much problem. I'm no great believer in the fundamental safety of any rear engined Renault...won't drive with my mate in the Gordinis any more, at least when he is trying to be serious about breaking the sound barrier.

If I ever get around to fixing the Floride it will be for some fairly low level touring and that's about it...I must be getting very old.

Harrisson, be a hero check it out again, if it has a reasonable collection of bits and pieces then buy it store it and flog it whole or in pieces on the for sale section. If not contact the Renault club in Qld and try and convince someone there to do it.

Last edited by BogMaster; 5th June 2004 at 08:17 PM.

Thread Information