• 3 Post By Kim Luck
  • 1 Post By FIVEDOOR
  • 2 Post By bob
  • 1 Post By Kenfuego
  • 1 Post By Kenfuego
  • 2 Post By JBN

Thread: The Hook Turn - Melbourne

Default The Hook Turn - Melbourne

Interesting read but I've never done a hook turn. Is it something similar to brake drifting?
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-...adani/11404870

Advertisement
    “Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.” Cheers. John

Quote Originally Posted by Shoji View Post
    .......Is it something similar to brake drifting?
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-...adani/11404870
    But you have got to get the timing right to get through inbetween the two trams heading towards each other.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

With great amusement I sat in a 5th floor balcony above a hook turn intersection in Melb a few years ago. T'was the most bizarre thing I had seen in a while, it was easy to pick the difference between locals and visitors having a lash at these crazy hook turns

The above video brings with it some clarity on this unusual practice. For which thanks.

Hook turns are used in many countries, including one where I got my license a great many years ago. The idea is to get out of traffic flow cars that would have to wait to turn and allow traffic that goes straight ahead unhindered. This is most useful in intersections where there is no right turn lane, and even when there is one, if it is full of cars turning right and the queue backs up into the main traffic - a situation all to often encountered in our wild west where the infrastructure is stuck in Cretaceous.

There are differences though. In Europe, hook turn intersections have an added lane to the "left" (it's actually on the right - 'cos they drive on the other side), anyway, there is this extra lane added to the far side of the road, separated from the main lanes by an island, so in effect when doing a hook turn you are coming off a side road and want to continue straight ahead. Most of the time, you also have a traffic light that tells you when to go.

See picture at top left:

https://image.slidesharecdn.com/curs...?cb=1557661432
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Gone Fishin'

What dumbass would prioritise public transport over the rights of the individual to indulge himself.
    That’s Melbourne for you !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1000+ Posts

Icon10 No problem for drivers, you get used to them.

The link is quite good in its explanation, much like getting used to the roundabout craze that swept the world, after a time locals get used to it and it works, except where dummies from other states find it confusing - should they be allowed to drive cars? I won't get into the politics !

Ken

The devil is (as always) in the detail. If you have a lot of cars turning, nothing works eventually. Slip lanes back up, hook turns back up and so on. Time to rethink your traffic management, infrastructure and maybe public transport options.

My personal preference is managed chaos. I feel at home on the subcontinent and other places like that where the traffic seems to cooperate very well to achieve a much better flow (all things considered) than we/other over legislated places do. The problem is not over legislation, but the failure to build infrastructure to keep up with it. Chaos is the admission that you can't legislate ad infinitum and have appropriate infrastructure. Leave it up to the forces of nature and they will take their course and order will emerge. The Universe was born out of chaos, so it works.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    The devil is (as always) in the detail. If you have a lot of cars turning, nothing works eventually. Slip lanes back up, hook turns back up and so on. Time to rethink your traffic management, infrastructure and maybe public transport options.

My personal preference is managed chaos. I feel at home on the subcontinent and other places like that where the traffic seems to cooperate very well to achieve a much better flow (all things considered) than we/other over legislated places do. The problem is not over legislation, but the failure to build infrastructure to keep up with it. Chaos is the admission that you can't legislate ad infinitum and have appropriate infrastructure. Leave it up to the forces of nature and they will take their course and order will emerge. The Universe was born out of chaos, so it works.
    The hook turn works by forcing impatient bastards to go around the block, the left of the two lanes is only occupied by drivers wishing to turn right, the right hand lane keeps going when the lights are green. As no other city in Australia (or anywhere else in the world) has a tram network as big as Melbourne's I'd suggest y'all come down and get personal experience of some innovative traffic solutions in a big city.
    Kenfuego, Peter C and Fordman like this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    I'd suggest y'all come down and get personal experience of some innovative traffic solutions in a big city.
    Does that include getting booked 1 km over the limit?
    JoBo likes this.
    Every day is a good day

The hook turn works by forcing impatient bastards to go around the block, the left of the two lanes is only occupied by drivers wishing to turn right, the right hand lane keeps going when the lights are green. As no other city in Australia (or anywhere else in the world) has a tram network as big as Melbourne's I'd suggest y'all come down and get personal experience of some innovative traffic solutions in a big city.
    Ha. Didn't know that. Kudos to you, tram city.

I do think however that most Aussie cities are too ambitious for their infrastructure (i.e. too many cars are allowed in the city).
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 15th August 2019 at 04:32 PM.

Gone Fishin'

Default The Hook Turn - Melbourne

Try Hoddle St and the P turn -

(it’s our way of coping due to the Federal infrastructure underfunding scam)

https://youtu.be/yIREzujqOUg

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    Does that include getting booked 1 km over the limit?
    Is that like only being 0.01% over the blood alcohol limit?
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

1000+ Posts

Icon14 P turns and "modern" traffic engineering.

P turn really worked well for me, some others reported they were confused. I was heading for Tasmania via the Ferry and after reading all the negative comments I though I'd better drive down Hoddle the night before departure and both P turns seemed to work very well.

Certainly worked well for me. and if in doubt do some pre-planning.

Traffic Engineering seems to be a mystery for some engineers, maybe just out of college and lacking practical observation of actual drivers, rather than mice in a lab experiment.

I was pleased today to drive to Greensborough where I visited a very ill man. The engineers had created an artificial restriction painted on the roadway, near the Watsonia Railway overpass, to force merging of lanes into one, only problem was that drivers drove over the cross hatched markings as they could, with no physical barrier to prevent them.

They persevered with that for a couple of months, but today they opened it up, removed the painted "Traffic Island" so vehicles intending to right turn at Grimshaw Street could legally remain in the right lane and not need to merge.

Anyone that drives along there would understand the confusion caused, and the engineering solution never fulfilled the reason (problem) the traffic Engineers sought to originally solve, now it is a simple sign indicating the right lane is intended for right turning traffic. Simple really, a practical solution and no dangerous merging for no real reason.

Ken

Gone Fishin'

Funny how after reading all the complaints it works out to not be a fact.
    Funny that.

Is that like only being 0.01% over the blood alcohol limit?
    You tell me, I don't drink.
    Every day is a good day

You tell me, I don't drink.
    I see! So you admit you speed?

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

Quote Originally Posted by Nagaman View Post
    Try Hoddle St and the P turn -

(it’s our way of coping due to the Federal infrastructure underfunding scam)

https://youtu.be/yIREzujqOUg

interesting, funny how all these good reasons to move to the sticks just keep coming up all the time....

cheers,
    Bob

sent from Firefox on Linux Mint....
    bluey504 and Nagaman like this.

Gone Fishin'

The words ‘tar n cement’ keep reminding me of LA.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    G'day,

interesting, funny how all these good reasons to move to the sticks just keep coming up all the time....

cheers,
    Bob

sent from Firefox on Linux Mint....
    We understand lucky [email protected]@ger freezing at Skipton, but a good log fire fixes that!
    bob likes this.

I see! So you admit you speed?
    You'd make a great traffic cop, with that type of brick
    Every day is a good day

1000+ Posts

You'd make a great traffic cop, with that type of brick
    Just a leading...speeding question, easy peasy.
    FIVEDOOR likes this.

JBN

I like the SAS turn - "Who Dares - Wins". It does borrow heavily from the SE Asian turn - same fatalistic logic.

John
    FIVEDOOR and citroenut like this.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    I like the SAS turn - "Who Dares - Wins". It does borrow heavily from the SE Asian turn - same fatalistic logic.

John
    Makes for entertaining videos, reminds me of those Russian in car camera videos especially on icy roads.

ken

Thread Information