• Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By robmac
  • 1 Post By COL
  • 1 Post By SLC206

Thread: I leant not to do that again

1000+ Posts

Default I leant not to do that again

We were going down to Melbourne in our C4P yesterday, but when it started it ran on 2 cylinders and the panel light up with warnings - NOT TODAY.
    Took the yella terra instead.
    Shepparton said bring it to us if you are happy to drive it ......hmmm.
    It started ok with engine light on and ran smoothly but selecting D resulted in difficulty in dragging its rear out of the garage.......the handbrake wouldn’t release. I always thought the convenience of an electric parking brake was going to backfire one day.
    A bit of light tapping with a light hammer and a bit of to and fro results in a loud bang and a release plus the light has gone out now.
    Now we are off at last to the diminishing sound of what seems like a flat tyre.
    1. Don’t start a car cold and simply move it out to wash it and then back it back in without a run around the block.
    2. Over fueling results.
    3. Don’t think it won bite you on the bum when 3 days later you start it.
    4. Wet disks do a great job of welding themselves to the pads.

Why did I do this THIS time?

Advertisement

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

You shouldn't be expected to live with crap like this in this day and age.

Personally I've had my day with "temperamental cars".

These days I take the choice of driving something vice free, reliable and readily serviced.
    Fordman likes this.

Push bike ?

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time
    Garage C5 X7 4008
    Gone but not forgotten 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

Quote Originally Posted by dmccurtayne View Post
    Push bike ?

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    I said drive not ride.

Horror of horrors I drive a Skoda Fabia RS wagon and it's the first car I've owned that had nothing wrong with it when delivered to me new. In three years there has been nothing but prescribed (capped).

I'm sorry for marque transgression but I figured sooner or later you would have asked.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Nagaman View Post
    We were going down to Melbourne in our C4P yesterday, but when it started it ran on 2 cylinders and the panel light up with warnings - NOT TODAY.
    Took the yella terra instead.
    Shepparton said bring it to us if you are happy to drive it ......hmmm.
    It started ok with engine light on and ran smoothly but selecting D resulted in difficulty in dragging its rear out of the garage.......the handbrake wouldn’t release. I always thought the convenience of an electric parking brake was going to backfire one day.
    A bit of light tapping with a light hammer and a bit of to and fro results in a loud bang and a release plus the light has gone out now.
    Now we are off at last to the diminishing sound of what seems like a flat tyre.
    1. Don’t start a car cold and simply move it out to wash it and then back it back in without a run around the block.
    2. Over fueling results.
    3. Don’t think it won bite you on the bum when 3 days later you start it.
    4. Wet disks do a great job of welding themselves to the pads.

Why did I do this THIS time?

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs
    I have only know this to happen after months or even years that a car has not been moved.

All the cars here are parked with the hand brake off and left in gear if manual and park if they are auto.

The only time I apply a hand brake is if I park the car on a slope. Never need to adjust the hand brake through stretched cables.
    Kenfuego likes this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    I have only know this to happen after months or even years that a car has not been moved.

All the cars here are parked with the hand brake off and left in gear if manual and park if they are auto.

The only time I apply a hand brake is if I park the car on a slope. Never need to adjust the hand brake through stretched cables.
    I just didn’t think and didn’t bother ensuring the electric handbrake was selected ‘off’ .
    I was always somewhat obsessive about minimising wear n tear and would always avoid the handbrake too.
    Modern cars and their optimised emissions systems do their own thing......unlike the old choke cable which you could control.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

COL

I just didn’t think and didn’t bother ensuring the electric handbrake was selected ‘off’ .
    I was always somewhat obsessive about minimising wear n tear and would always avoid the handbrake too.
    Modern cars and their optimised emissions systems do their own thing......unlike the old choke cable which you could control.

Must be something in the brake pads that reacts with water, how do you go when parking the car outside in the rain? Or are the discs well protected from this scenario?
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    Must be something in the brake pads that reacts with water, how do you go when parking the car outside in the rain? Or are the discs well protected from this scenario?
    Pads are usually made with sintered metal which rusts with the rotor ......it’s like a spot weld ......it eventually broke with quite a bang.
    If you’ve been driving there’s enough heat to self dry. If parked outdoors it would take a strong side wind to soak them both.

https://ebcbrakes.com/what-is-sintering/

Although attempts were made by the OEMs a few years ago to cut costs of Sintered brakes by using sintered IRON, that was deemed a failure and these days the base material is copper.

Sintered copper brakes are made by one of two processes, pressure sintering in a vacuum furnace or sintering through a belt furnace in a controlled atmosphere. The steel backing plates for the brake pads are copper coated and a preformed sintered copper “Puck” is located onto pips in the plate (either male or female) and the parts are passed through a furnace. At a pre-determined temperature the copper coating under the pad puck melts and fused the puck and plate together.

Sintering is a very exact process and the EBC expertise has made it a world leader in such technology and gained it numerous OE contracts.
    Kind of ruins your theory about pads rusting on to disks

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post

So they ‘welded’ themselves together by another process which you know all about and will elucidate -

COL

Pads are usually made with sintered metal which rusts with the rotor ......it’s like a spot weld ......it eventually broke with quite a bang.
    If you’ve been driving there’s enough heat to self dry. If parked outdoors it would take a strong side wind to soak them both.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post

I have seen brake pads stuck to discs and also clutch plates stuck to fly wheels and pressure plates, but have only seen this ac cure over a long period of the vehicle not being moved.

The usual remedy is to dismantle clean up and re-assemble.

Maybe in your case something in the electric brake has failed to release or got jammed up some how
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Pads are usually made with sintered metal which rusts with the rotor ......it’s like a spot weld ......it eventually
    So they ‘welded’ themselves together by another process which you know all about and will elucidate
    I don't know how copper sintering can weld when both the disk and pad are stationary. I don't believe I've ever claimed to know.

Since the "welding" process is your own theory. I'll allow you to tell us how copper sintered pads can "weld" to to cast iron disk.

Or perhaps seek an alternative explanation for the behavior of the brakes.

1000+ Posts

Semi metallic apparently -
    https://kor-pak.com/semi-metallic-br...ts-difference/

COL
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

1000+ Posts

Default I leant not to do that again

I should have used my 36V Ryobi leaf blower on the calliper, and that’s what I’ll do if there’s a next time. Does a great job of getting rid of excess water all over.

It's a very common issue with modern Pugs. My 207 used to do it all the time after wet weather. Especially once it become a non-daily driver a few years ago.

The next time I tried to used it the rear pads would be "stuck" on the discs - releasing with a concerning bang.

The rear discs exhibited corrosion pitting on the surface in the shape of a brake pad.

It had a normal hand brake but I parked it with the handbrake applied.

I'd also encourage a run around the block after washing the car.
    Nagaman likes this.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Thread Information