• 1 Post By IWS
  • 2 Post By dino
  • 1 Post By IWS
  • 1 Post By robmac
  • 1 Post By IWS

Thread: Caller purporting to be from NBN : Scam Don't press 1

Default Caller purporting to be from NBN : Scam Don't press 1

I've received a couple of calls over the last few days along the lines of:

“This is the NBN. We have been trying to get in contact with you.

We will be disconnecting your landline and Internet within 24 hours now that NBN is available in your area.

Advertisement

Press 1 to connect to a technician.”

The voice was female, with an Australian accent, and somewhat robotic, although it was clearly a recording of a real person.
    It's a scam we all know NBNCo don't canvas their services over the phone.

Hang immediately and block the number if you can.
    UFO likes this.

1000+ Posts

I wonder if he'll call me. I have an NBN connection that's dead as a dodo since the installing cablers came. Apparently repair is a different department/contractor.
    turnbull151 likes this.

I've had quite a few of those calls and have always just hung up. A bit of a nuisance but not nearly as much as the down light people.

UFO

We've recently made a refreshing change to our household. We have disconnected the handsets/cordless base station and delisted our home phone number. We would get a minimum of eight random scam/sales pitch phone calls a day. Now zero of course.
    GreenBlood likes this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    We've recently made a refreshing change to our household. We have disconnected the handsets/cordless base station and delisted our home phone number. We would get a minimum of eight random scam/sales pitch phone calls a day. Now zero of course.

We have an unlisted number, but unwanted calls still come through.

Callers get one chance with us.

After that, they we "black list" the number and the phone doesn't ring. The Telstra Call Guardian gives a message the call "won't be accepted" and then hangs up on them pronto.

Callers with no caller ID are requested to leave a message without the phone ringing.

Family and friends are on the "white list" and if they call the telephone rings as per normal.

https://www.telstra.com.au/home-phone/handsets

Telstra gave us ours gratis after we complained about the large number of marketing call we were receiving.

It has worked for the last 3 years odd perfectly.

Family and friends aren't inconvenienced.

And we have uninterrupted meals.

.."helo, this is Rajib calling"

After hanging up numerous time, I now press "1" , get transfered to next available operator and upon getting conected I let them have it before hanging up.
    COL likes this.

I ll sometimes listen to them...
    Even encourage conversation...
    Listen to their offers and even sound excited... but the house of cards comes crashing down after i tell them i am not the account holder... am just an overseas visitor just babysitting... one got really upset why i didnt tell him i wasn't the account holder... because you didn't ask you @#@en moron...

I dont mind the occasional call... it keeps me on my toes and preps me for some AF threads...

Cheers

Dino

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
    COL, dvr, baldrick56 and 1 others like this.

COL

This scam has been going for about 12 months, the callers definitely don't have a clue how the communications industry works in Australia.

After a couple of these call I decided to push 1, and sure enough was put through to an operator who is obviously on a mobile and in a noisy environment.

If I have a few minutes to spare I usually play with them until they get frustrated and hang up or they spit the dummy with me. Hoping this will be enough to stop them ringing and trying it on.

After all these people are low lifes and deserve to be treated as such.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

IWS

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    This scam has been going for about 12 months, the callers definitely don't have a clue how the communications industry works in Australia.

After a couple of these call I decided to push 1, and sure enough was put through to an operator who is obviously on a mobile and in a noisy environment.

If I have a few minutes to spare I usually play with them until they get frustrated and hang up or they spit the dummy with me. Hoping this will be enough to stop them ringing and trying it on.

After all these people are low lifes and deserve to be treated as such.
    If i have time spare I press 1 and then play along with the person in the noisy call room - on the basis that if they are talking with me they are NOT talking to some other poor sod who they just might be able to scam.

A few weeks back I did that for a while and then challenged the man I was speaking to about why he thought it was OK to be scamming people. His reply was that this was the only job he could get. I again asked if he felt OK about scamming and stealing from people, at which point he said he would stop if I gave him a job. I told him that I do not employ anybody, and again suggested he think about whether he was doing the right thing by stealing ... He hung up, of course. But at least I kept him off the phone from other poor sod. And maybe, just maybe he thought about what I had said? (No probably not ... )

Ian.
    JoBo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    I ll sometimes listen to them...
    Even encourage conversation...
    Listen to their offers and even sound excited... but the house of cards comes crashing down after i tell them i am not the account holder... am just an overseas visitor just babysitting... one got really upset why i didnt tell him i wasn't the account holder... because you didn't ask you @#@en moron...

I dont mind the occasional call... it keeps me on my toes and preps me for some AF threads...

Cheers

Dino

I actually laughed at the dude doing the Telstra internet scam. I told him it was obvious he was scammer because his English was so bad (it was quite good in fact)

He got really p#ssed off and started swearing at me. This made me laugh more, because I knew I'd got the better of him.

Works well try it. It's more satisfying than simply wasting their time.

IWS

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    I actually laughed at the dude doing the Telstra internet scam. I told him it was obvious he was scammer because his English was so bad (it was quite good in fact)

He got really p#ssed off and started swearing at me. This made me laugh more, because I knew I'd got the better of him.

Works well try it. It's more satisfying than simply wasting their time.
    I've been learning some Hindi swear words to try out. Starting with Bakavāsa ! Planning to try that next time they call (and they will call, sadly ...)

Quote Originally Posted by IWS View Post
    I've been learning some Hindi swear words to try out. Starting with Bakavāsa ! Planning to try that next time they call (and they will call, sadly ...)
    Hell... i even downloaded the old "dial
    up modem" sound for the "your pc has a virus" scammers... used to piss my self laughing as they asked me to connect to the internet and i d play the dial up tone on the mobile...
    I could almost see their face twisting as to say wtf... things we do... gotta love these first world problems...

Cheers

Dino

WLB and baldrick56 like this.

IWS

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    Hell... i even downloaded the old "dial
    up modem" sound for the "your pc has a virus" scammers...
    This is good!

The battle with the phone scammers (your PC has a virus..., this is the Australian Tax office ..., you are about to be disconnected from the ABN ..., etc.) is one to be taken seriously - and serious tactics are required.

Ian.
    dino likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by IWS View Post
    This is good!

The battle with the phone scammers (your PC has a virus..., this is the Australian Tax office ..., you are about to be disconnected from the ABN ..., etc.) is one to be taken seriously - and serious tactics are required.

Ian.
    Simply press random keys on your phone during a scam call and announce in a stern voice "call being traced".
    I've had 100% in having the call ended by the scammer.
    FIVEDOOR likes this.

IWS

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Simply press random keys on your phone during a scam call and announce in a stern voice "call being traced".
    I've had 100% in having the call ended by the scammer.
    This is good! I'll try this next time (along with the bad language in Hindi).
    FIVEDOOR likes this.

Thread Information