Aussie frogs - not secure ?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Nagaman
  • 1 Post By seasink

Thread: Aussie frogs - not secure ?

Default Aussie frogs - not secure ?

Says the title on the webpage on my iMac! Any ideas?

Advertisement
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

there was discussion recently if you want to keep looking but nothing to worry about - you'll notice it elsewhere too - here at least is as safe as ever.
    grandC4picasso RHB, [email protected] , EGS6Sp, B58, MY 2012-2013 (?)

1000+ Posts

Default Aussie frogs - not secure ?

The BOM site isn’t either, I noticed. Seem to be popping up often.
    I suspect the lawyers have been working on indemnity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1000+ Posts

Blame iMac. Developers who want the world to conform to Apple. Who cares if viewing AF is unencrypted? Encrypted or not, it's logged by your ISP for the police and spooks.

If encryption is important, use an encrypted VPN. If searching is private, don't use Google, and always use POST.

1000+ Posts

Google owns me...............I guess I’m rooned.
    (Google is the old farts best friend)

Breitie likes this.

1000+ Posts

Google is an old fart's worst enemy. It stores everything you search for and click for the benefit of advertisers and general pests. It also has connections on a vast array of websites to record your visit and pages looked at. It isn't the only one - AF has Viglink. Once recorded they have your information forever.

There are other search options, eg Duckduckgo, Startpage, Qwant. These can anonymise Google and Bing. If you don't want your ISP logging your searches don't use GET (the default for most), use POST on a secured connection to the search engine, and remember that they can log the DNS server. A VPN can search in some other less logged location.

Trackers and most other information collectors can be easily blocked by suitable browser add-ons. Even DDG has a tracker blocker available.
    Last edited by seasink; 19th June 2019 at 02:09 PM.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Google is an old fart's worst enemy. It stores everything you search for and click for the benefit of advertisers and general pests. It also has connections on a vast array of websites to record your visit and pages looked at. It isn't the only one - AF has Viglink. Once recorded they have your information forever.

There are other search options, eg Duckduckgo, Startpage, Qwant. If you don't want your ISP logging your searches don't use GET (the default for most), use POST. A VPN can search in some other less logged location.

Trackers and most other information collectors can be easily blocked by suitable browser add-ons. Even DDG has a tracker blocker available.
    Yep, and they are so good at it they give you a reminder of exactly what you’ve been up to for the last month.......as regular as clockwork, and proud of their ‘surveillance’ too.
    Not too sure if, like the IRA, they ‘get’ sarcasm though.

An interesting tool I have is an Opera extension called "Disconnect". It shows every site that is notified from your current URL. Who'd have thought that Aussiefrogs would hand information to over 39 different other sites? Click to enlarge!

Aussie frogs - not secure ?-disconnect-.png
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

1000+ Posts

Not quite. Cloudfront is what your DNS sent you to. AF comes through their servers, unless you have found the true IP.

The others can be controlled/not connected by you, (eg facebook, and statistics collectors), provided they aren't essential routines for the display, such as jquery. Imagery may be posted by users on other sites also.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    An interesting tool I have is an Opera extension called "Disconnect". It shows every site that is notified from your current URL. Who'd have thought that Aussiefrogs would hand information to over 39 different other sites? Click to enlarge!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Disconnect!.PNG 
Views:	58 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	114291
    AF was using Cloudflare as their content delivery network (CDN).

There has been a change to (Amazon) Cloudfront quite recently.

The behavior you see is typical of content delivery network.

Originally, when the Aussiefrogs "Insecure Site" warning first popped up, it was only for the Citroen forum. It has subsequently spread to virtually the whole site. My interest in Disconnect related to being able to stop tracking sites harvesting my web habits.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Originally, when the Aussiefrogs "Insecure Site" warning first popped up, it was only for the Citroen forum. It has subsequently spread to virtually the whole site. My interest in Disconnect related to being able to stop tracking sites harvesting my web habits.
    Being listed "insecure" has nothing to do with the websites connected to the CDN.

It's all about trying make website owners upgrade to a "secure" connection (and pay extra money for doing so).

Some browsers are becoming anal, unreasonable and overly obsessive about "insecure" websites.

As long as a browser simply notifies me, I'll continue to use it. If it becomes a pita about accessing "insecure" sites I'll find another browser that isn't such a pita.

1000+ Posts

Duckduckgo has an add on for browsers that will block trackers. You should also use an ad blocker that excludes (or is restricted to, if you like ads) all statistics harvesting sites. There are a great number of these.
    Nagaman likes this.

Thread Information