The dog and lemon guide?
  • Register
  • Help

Default The dog and lemon guide?

Hi all been a while since I last posted.
    Just bought the Dog and Lemon guide from the newsagency last week and was wondering wheather anyone else has read it. There is some very harsh comments about certain makes and model cars. Some fair comments I believe from my experience. The Peugeots' cop a fair hammering, and after reading this book, if you took their advice you would not touch one with a ten foot pole. The sole purpose of the guide to be fair is reliability and safety mainly with a general run down on the cars good and bad features as well. It is very interesting reading and I was shocked to read negative comments and crash results about cars that are very popular and expensive and I was lead to believe (through hype and motoring journos) were some of the better ones on the road. There is some very good general motoring information reading in the front of the book about air bags, braking etc.
    Has anyone else read this book and what are your thoughts.
    Scott

Advertisement
    1987 Peugeot 505 GTD 2.5 Turbo

I have scanned through them but unfortunately I find in too many cases, we have Journos pandering to urban myths & trying to justify them by writing what the average punter wants to hear.
    I heard a guy on the radio (a "dial-a-tyre kicker" type of show) one day "advise" someone not to buy a Citroen unless they were prepared to pay up to $25,000 a year to keep it on the road.
    How can you take seriously somebody with that low an IQ? If that was the case, there wouldn't be one Cit left running, although when you look at posting 44 on this thread, you can understand how they get that idea.

My BX16v question thread

If done objectively and unbiased, they would have some value, but cars are like religion & politics; to each their own and usually this inbuilt bias can't be avoided.
    Anybody want me to do Road Tests on Wank Tanks, Volvos & Saabs and be prepared to buy or not based on the results??

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

XTC

And how many Aussie built cars are actually running ... they sell millions of them and people scrap them like they do disposable nappies .. and for the same reason too.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    And how many Aussie built cars are actually running ... they sell millions of them and people scrap them like they do disposable nappies .. and for the same reason too.

- XTC206 -
    Talking to RACV bloke yesterday (ran out of fuel due to digital fuel guage telling me big fibs ) and when I said why I had ran out, I was expecting the usual barrage of "why would you drive one of them, bloody dodgy french cars etc". But he shrugged his shoulders and said he had been getting a lot of call outs to brand new Commodores that had ran out of fuel with the trip computer telling the owner they had 150km left .

Any fault on a frog will be blown out of proportion in the publics eyes, and same faults on Oz/Jap cars seem to be just accepted
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    Any fault on a frog will be blown out of proportion in the publics eyes, and same faults on Oz/Jap cars seem to be just accepted
    Couldn't have put it better Haakon ...

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

farmerdave

These guys have a serious attitude problem, and there are a couple of things that make me very suspicious of anything they have to say....

1. the inclusion of conspiracy stories, "unleaded petrol is a communist plot" and "Henry Ford was a nazi/madman" type articles.

2.The urban myths... it'll be expensive.....parts are hard to get....

Makes you wonder if they have an axe to grind- maybe they are secondhand car importer types .

Farmerdave

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    And how many Aussie built cars are actually running ... they sell millions of them and people scrap them like they do disposable nappies .. and for the same reason too. :roflmao:

- XTC206 -
    I believe Volvo have the highest percentage of cars on the road. Comments Justin?
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by kermit
    I believe Volvo have the highest percentage of cars on the road. Comments Justin?
    Just looking at the book Volvo Downunder, in 1988 Volvo went through registrations of their own vehicles - they found 92,090 had been sold and 88,792 were still registered (ie. 96.4%).

Volvo UK picked up the figures and advertised, "95.7 per cent of all Volvos sold in Australia are still on the road". Back then, the slogan as "Built for life" and there were various other figures highlighting this - some of the government figures out of Northern Europe had Volvos with a longer operating life than other leading marques such as Mercedes & VW, the figures were in the low 20 years region.

Just remember that Northern Europe presents a lot tougher conditions than ours - cars don't last anywhere as well as they do here. As I like to remind you all, the world's highest mileage car is a Volvo P1800 - only ONE engine rebuild and over 3.2 million km Well, he passed that figure back in March 2002, so who knows what it's on now.

I don't know what the current figures are, I believe the ABS has some raw figures from which a new figure could be derived, but there's not enough time at the moment.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    This is true but we also have to realise that the Citroen/ Peugeot/ Renault cars sold here are being sold at the premium end of the market and the buyers are more discerning. Sure, if you buy a car on price, e.g. Hyundai Ascent, you might accept some faults but when you pay top dollar you expect better quality and better reliability.
    If you buy, say a Statesman Caprice or Mazda 6 you would also expect better.

Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

It would be interesting to know how many front ends they had in that Vlovlov if the ones I've driven are any guide.
    If they say none, that could explain it; all done on the back of a truck. It takes more than a long wearing motor to make a reliable car. I've heard of a 900,000 mile BX that had been almost faultless throughout its life in the UK and a 2.3 million klm XM that was supposedly super reliable but in the case of the latter, I'd be wondering over there how many sets of strut supports they'd had and how the multi plex was hanging in.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Thread Information