Seatbelt
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Seatbelt

Tadpole

Default Seatbelt

The seatbelt in my Fuego has jammed in the retracted position. I imagine this is an unusual fault. Any suggestions as to how I can fix it would be appreciated. I have removed the offending unit. Hopefully I can get belted up and be on my Fuegoing way again.

Advertisement

I don't claim to know the detail of the Fuego seatbelt retractor but be aware that most retractors (inertia reel) use some form of mechanism which only allows extension of the belt when the retractor is 'stationary' and/or vertical. By stationary I mean not under deceleration (as would occur in an accident).
    So on some cars you can pull the belt out easily if you are just cruising down the road, but if you apply the brakes slightly (deceleration) the retractor will lock and you cannot pull the belt out. Sometimes this is done with a pendulum type of mechanism which also means that if you are parked on a fair slope you find you cannot pull out the belt.
    All I am saying here is that if you are trying to test it while removed from the car, make sure the retractor is in the vertical position as mounted in the vehicle while you are trying to pull the belt out.
    Good Luck.

My Mi16 did the same thing. Just pull the fuc*er out and fix it. It's easy. Don't lose the little bearing things.

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by connolly
    The seatbelt in my Fuego has jammed in the retracted position. I imagine this is an unusual fault. Any suggestions as to how I can fix it would be appreciated. I have removed the offending unit. Hopefully I can get belted up and be on my Fuegoing way again.
    Swap it for the passenger side .. make it soneone eles' problem ... hahaha
    Just kidding ...

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Thread Information