Hacking malware
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Hacking malware

Default Hacking malware

Been threatened with being exposed as a Citroen fancier and required to deposit $2000 in Bitcoin otherwise I will be outed and incriminating photos and videos released on the world of social media .
    But he did know my Aussie frogs password
    This happened to anybody else get an email from this wally
    [email protected] asking to deposit to this wallet
    14poC1Jg97vuvsyoKSZYz7h276LoAZcrtn
    Jokes on him

Advertisement
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

1000+ Posts

Weird. More like a joke than something to "out", unless all that is wanted is a response. There is a port open at that address . What was the email header?

I recently had my Facebook page hacked after many years of safe surfing. The hacker had both of my addresses and passwords. I had used recently used a program that recovered some old email passwords. There you go! Just act quickly!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

"[iiSPAM] You better read this - *******
    Containing my password
    Hi!

I know your password is: ******

Some time ago I infected your computer with mine private malware ( RAT ) Remote Administration Tool.

I collected absolutly everything from your computer, your private photos, videos, all contacts, I got access to all your accounts.

My malware even gave me control over your webcam and microphone, yes, such things exist, you can google it!"

It does go on but it gets a bit smutty alleging that he has naughty photos from my webcam which as a matter of fact I do not have especially in the garage

Fellow Frogger

Variation on a common theme of e-mail that is leveraging on your fear of loss and exposure. I have received a few such messages with threats of data destruction/ encryption / exposure etc. and it all comes back to one password (no longer current on any account of value) that I know I used only once on a website, but I can't confidently recall which one it was. It certainly wasn't important and I didn't buy anything through it or provide any personal info of value. It would seem the e-mail and password pair, but not much else, are on some enormous listing of exploited logins from many previously compromised websites and they are used in spam messages. It's almost certainly a pure try on and most likely using a password you no longer use. Importantly, don't recycle passwords, make them an alphabet soup, don't keep an electronic list of them and change them every so often. If you know where the password was used, then you probably know which website/account was compromised at some point.
    Kenfuego likes this.

It was only Aussie frogs so maybe one of the past disasters with data dumps

Fellow Frogger

I can't explain that, but see if anybody else reports their unique AF password appearing in such e-mails. I would suggest you at the very least change that password and don't ever use the one quoted again. In my case, the same password (not my AF password) is always present in half a dozen messages I've received over the last several months. They normally appear to come from myself, but that is spoofed and my ISP treats them as spam. Oddly, my ISP treated one of it's own e-mails, perfectly legit, as spam last week! Good effort.
    505604 likes this.

got two such emails earlier (both [email protected]., different numerals). just blocked them - should i worry?
    grandC4picasso RHB, [email protected] , EGS6Sp, B58, MY 2012-2013 (?)

Oh the shame of being outed as a Citroen fancier!
    I know what I would do if I was shamed and outed as a Renault man, find a high branch and a short rope.
    In hindsight, I should have de-badged all the Renaults I've owned over the past 35 or so years so no-one would have guessed my fetish from the cars sitting in my driveway (or sitting at the shops, or at work, or at the soccer field, or anywhere else I've parked).
    I will not be able to sleep now that I know there is a pervert out there in cyberspace outing those with a car fetish.

PS. What's 2000 bitcoin worth anyway, is it about on a par with the Vietnamese Dong (around 1AUD = 16,000 dong).

PPS I can't even remember my Aussiefrogs password but rely on the computer remembering what it is.
    If I try to log-on on another machine I'd be stuffed.
    Shoji likes this.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

1000+ Posts

The header would tell us where this came from. It may be via a compromised machine. There will be a button or menu entry on your email client to show it.

Do you have an email address in your AF profile or any post? If the sender really has control of your computer, why would he send an email when he could splash his message over the screen?

Could be that the only computer I have is for cad and is permanently off line
    so my cracked copies do not talk to their boss in the USA
    Kenfuego likes this.
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

WLB

Try this website. Very informative. It was developed by an Australian cyber security expert. I became aware of it after seeing him interviewed on TV a few years ago. https://haveibeenpwned.com/

You enter your email address and it will let you know of any data breaches that have occurred where the address was part of the data stolen. You can also set it to warn you if it happens again.

I've had a few of those same threatening emails. From your description, it sounds the same. It appears to have been sent from a couple of my work email addresses. Unfortunately, they now seem to have found a way of hiding their actual address and only showing the one they're pretending to be coming from. Until recently, and still with most phishing emails, when you open them you can see the true sending address. But that's all changing. If I set the junk mail filter to block the sender, all it sees is my address, so blocks anything I send to myself. With earlier versions of Outlook, you could right-click on the suspicious email in the In Box, select Properties from the drop-down menu, and it would show you the true sender. But this feature vanished a while ago. Or it's been thoughtfully moved to some obscure menu where it's hard to find. Thanks Microsoft. Please give me more bling and "enhance my browsing experience", at the expense of ease of use.
    Last edited by WLB; 8th May 2019 at 11:54 AM. Reason: typos
    Kenfuego and 505604 like this.

WLB

Here's a good one I got last Christmas. It had me really worried for a while. I even took to sleeping with a bat in the bedroom.

https://i.postimg.cc/Y9V5j57m/Threatening-email.jpg

But the bloody thing kept me awake all night with its endless flapping and crapping everywhere.
    CXVingtCinq likes this.

1000+ Posts

The header for that one would be interesting.

MS, Apple and Google systems have a lot answer for the way their default mail clients encourage phishers and worse.

WLB

The only thing I cropped off the top was my email address. (I smudged the other one).
    What you see is all there was. A friend, who formerly owned DCSI, once told me that about 70% of email traffic is junk mail of one type or another. So considering the number of any spam emails that we receive, the various ISPs do a pretty good job of filtering them out. I take your point about MS, Apple and Google. Not to mention Facepage.

1000+ Posts

Icon10 Sending a malware rocket to the source (just a dream)

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    The header for that one would be interesting.

MS, Apple and Google systems have a lot answer for the way their default mail clients encourage phishers and worse.
    Be nice to send a "present" back up the line to "fix" their computer , though not quite as extreme as the Israeli response recently to cyber malware activity, identifying the source and obliterating it!

However it seems from comments by some of the internet experts that this sort of offensive response might start or spark a "real cyber war". probably best to just raise your defence level or learn to ignore and hope for the best.

Ken

1000+ Posts

What you see is all there was
    It isn't. An email has three parts, the envelope, the header, and the message body. The header is a collection of fields needed to deliver and show your message. They are in plain text, and include the path the message actually took from the sender. Most clients don't show them but will if you right click the top or use a pop-up menu.

Those of us old-fashioned enough (and probably over 65) to email by typing on the terminal always see the headers.

You can read about it in great detail at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email

My belief is, most home computer users are best served to use a cloud based email service Gmail, GMX etc etc. I you have a love affair with outlook use outlook.com cloud based email.

Nothing makes to your local drive unless you intentionally allow it do do so. Malware, virus checking and spam is the mail providers problem and they are most often better equipped than a Home user with a good chance of having out of date antivirus software.

The best place for Outlook is in the "recycle bin" and my advice would be to delete it from your PC completely.

There is a better way to manage email these days.

WLB

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    It isn't. An email has three parts, the envelope, the header, and the message body. .....
    I thought you were talking about what is partially visible above the black line at the top of the image. I deleted the email shortly after reading it. But I printed it first, so I could keep a copy, as it was so hilarious. What I posted was an image of that pdf print, with the top cropped off to remove my details.

WLB

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    My belief is, most home computer users are best served to use a cloud based email service Gmail, GMX etc etc. I you have a love affair with outlook use outlook.com cloud based email.

Nothing makes to your local drive unless you intentionally allow it do do so. Malware, virus checking and spam is the mail providers problem and they are most often better equipped than a Home user with a good chance of having out of date antivirus software.

The best place for Outlook is in the "recycle bin" and my advice would be to delete it from your PC completely.

There is a better way to manage email these days.
    No thanks Rob, you can keep the cloud. Another disaster waiting to happen. I trust myself more than I do them, to keep all my defences up to date. We're probably approaching a time when someone will find a way to make emails self-open and open links they carry, upon arrival in your in-box. I'm approaching the time when I'll use a separate computer for email and browsing, and only transfer anything to the my workhorse computer after it has been scanned thoroughly.
    It was a lot simpler with my original Data General 'laptop' in the early '90s. Back in the days of DOS. The only place you could pick up a virus, was from someone else's floppy disc. When you loaded the disc, you ran a program called Viruscan. It didn't even need to be updated. Viruses were crude things.

But getting back to Outlook, what would you suggest?
    The main reason I've stuck with it is that I've been using it since 1998 and I have a lot of archived emails. I can drag them back into Outlook, move them between folders, etc. And there are no compatibility problems. I can't remember the name of the first program I used, in the mid-90s. BTW, they were all called applications back then, weren't they? Have we come full circle?

The last time I tried an alternative was probably Thunderbird, when I abandoned MS Internet Explorer for Firefox about 8 to 10 years ago. I didn't like it, but haven't looked at anything since.
    Last edited by WLB; 8th May 2019 at 09:17 PM. Reason: typo

JBN

I don't worry about threatening emails. Mailwasher deletes most. The only threat is online banking. I enter the code and password each time, passwords not stored anywhere. If all else fails, none of my Westpac accounts allow transfers of moneys to any outside accounts. It takes 10 days for me to change that setting.

If someone steals my Aussiefrogs password, I am sure I will enjoy reading their posts. Probably far more interesting than what I can produce. In the mean time, I will consider using Outlook as I always have. Being slightly dyslectic, I think of it as Lookout so every time I use it my vigilance goes to full alert.

John
    cjl likes this.

WLB

Most of those I receive get filtered into Junk mail too, including this one. You wonder who falls for them. I remember when all this started in the early to mid-'80s(?). I was listening to Michael Schildberger's morning talk-back segment on 3LO on my way to work. Max Kirwan, the Mazda dealer in Bell St. Preston, rang in to say he'd received a letter (might have been a fax) from Nigeria. (Kirwan's dealership was only a couple of blocks from where I worked). The writer said he was a government official who had embezzled umpteen million from the government and he was looking for someone overseas to launder it for him for a fee. He was asked to phone Nigeria if he was interested. He and Schildberger agreed to make that phone call the following day, on air. Unfortunately, I missed hearing it. And 35 odd years later, it continues.

Fellow Frogger!

I use Outlook to monitor my three email accounts (Office 365, Gmail & Optus). Don't mind the feature in Outlook for Android where it show emails from all accounts (on the one screen), separated between 'Focused' and 'Other'.

Quote Originally Posted by WLB View Post
    No thanks Rob, you can keep the cloud. Another disaster waiting to happen. I trust myself more than I do them, to keep all my defences up to date. We're probably approaching a time when someone will find a way to make emails self-open and open links they carry, upon arrival in your in-box. I'm approaching the time when I'll use a separate computer for email and browsing, and only transfer anything to the my workhorse computer after it has been scanned thoroughly.
    It was a lot simpler with my original Data General 'laptop' in the early '90s. Back in the days of DOS. The only place you could pick up a virus, was from someone else's floppy disc. When you loaded the disc, you ran a program called Viruscan. It didn't even need to be updated. Viruses were crude things.

But getting back to Outlook, what would you suggest?
    The main reason I've stuck with it is that I've been using it since 1998 and I have a lot of archived emails. I can drag them back into Outlook, move them between folders, etc. And there are no compatibility problems. I can't remember the name of the first program I used, in the mid-90s. BTW, they were all called applications back then, weren't they? Have we come full circle?

The last time I tried an alternative was probably Thunderbird, when I abandoned MS Internet Explorer for Firefox about 8 to 10 years ago. I didn't like it, but haven't looked at anything since.
    Half on Australia's business would grind to halt if Gmail crashed. Gmail is standard fare for most big business.

I'm confident that a company the size of google with online services as part of their core business has too much to lose if there is a problem.

I've chosen to follow the current trend in email. For me I've seen and found no disadvantages at all. At the need for obsessive virus and malware checking in my email has stopped.

If you have a love affair outlook interface and don't feel capable of learning another mail user interface use outlook.com.

Applications delivered as services over the internet are a way life and insecure email clients are past their use by date in my opinion.

EDIT:

Even using a local email client, your email still resides of your ISP's cloud. The only difference with Gmail is that the mail client does as well. A local email client is not protection against losing your email.

With the greatest respect, I'd question the need to keep and the current relevance of 21 year old emails.
    I would probably send them to the "bit bucket".

However if consider them a "must keep" item, you can import them to gmail but why would you ?

https://sites.google.com/a/tc.columb...capps2/outlook

Gmail supports Imap mail format, but using IMAP could be considered a retrograde step.
    Last edited by robmac; 9th May 2019 at 01:59 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by WLB View Post
    No thanks Rob, you can keep the cloud. Another disaster waiting to happen. I trust myself more than I do them, to keep all my defences up to date. .
    Hi, Given that you keep receiving scam emails, it would appear that your defenses are not wroking.

Like the other poster, I switched to Gmail some years back and have found no downside. If you think you are going to keep your files safer than Google, well good luck to you, but I think that is very misguided.

As for an alternative, Gmail can also display all your other email accounts as well, as well as removing any need for spam filters etc.

Andy

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information