• 1 Post By David S
  • 1 Post By seasink
  • 1 Post By Bruce H
  • 1 Post By JBN
  • 1 Post By JAJEA

Thread: C5 “economic” write-off.

Default C5 “economic” write-off.

Hi all,

The rear of my C5 has been sideswiped by a Toyota Prius while it was parked.
    The Prius’s insurance sent me to a totally disinterested repair place where I had to go twice, and they wrote the car off.

My insurance sent me to another place where they said that the cost of repair was higher than the insured value of $2000.

Advertisement

Another guy quoted $2086, somehow just above the insured value, even when he knew that it was $2000.

The Prius’ insurer, Toyota Insurance, says that they are still waiting for the driver at fault to pay the excess before they will do anything.
    The driver says that he’ll get his car repaired in late May.
    So it looks like if you don’t pay the excess, the insurance has to do nothing.

Thanks for any ideas.

C5 rear.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Clogzz; 28th April 2019 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Correcting typo
    2003 C5 2.0i AL4 205,000 km 76372389

Fellow Frogger

Perhaps, try to negotiate a cash settlement for the damage with his insurer directly? The Prius owner not yet paying the excess shouldn't have any bearing on their liability. You could go after the owner directly, but most people pass on that role to their insurer and let them work it out. Have you read this thread ...
    Hail damaged C5 potential write off
    The tailgate might be a paintless dent job and maybe the black marks on the bumper will polish off?
    As the car is >15 years old now, a write-off in NSW won't have to be a stat write-off as it usually would be. You would likely have the option of salvage for a few hundred if it is a write-off.
    If you claim on your own comprehensive policy, you will lose the excess and the balance of the premium and any rego etc., so there may not be much incentive to make such a claim once you deduct those from the insured value. Add stamp duty etc. for a replacement car and it may not be worth claiming at all.
    Clogzz likes this.

1000+ Posts

Send the other driver a sensible quote and ask him to pay. Solicitor's letter if necessary. He'll claim on his insurance.
    Clogzz likes this.

Do NSW WOVR rules apply to QLD registered cars (as plates suggests) damaged in NSW?
    Certainly trying to get the other driver's insurance to give you a cash payment would be better, then you might find the needed panels in a wrecker, and if in the right colour it should work out cheaper than the panelbeaters' quotes.
    Clogzz likes this.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

JBN

Maybe a DON'T INSURE WITH XXX on the rear window, where XXX is the Prius insurance company. But first, I would look for a white boot lid as Bruce H suggests. If you bought the car second hand, you are already well in front. If you bought it new, you've long done your dough. Either way, it still works as well as you expect and better than most other cars.

If you are really pee'd off, cancel your NRMA or whatever membership. Over the years with the money you save, you will be able to afford a flatbed if you ever need it. Change your insurance to Third Party Fire and Theft. That way you are covered if you trash a Lamborgini. If your car is only worth $2000, that is not much more than pocket money. You will have that back in a few years by relinquishing comprehensive insurance (where they dictate what your car is worth).

Most people avoid Citroens because they think they have contagious diseases that they don't want their car to be infected with.

John
    Clogzz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Send the other driver a sensible quote and him to pay. Solicitor's letter if necessary. He'll claim on his insurance.
    Agreed, that's how it is done.
    Your comprehensive insurance is to protect your Lamborghini should you have an accident with someone that has no insurance.
    The driver of the Prius has to make good damage to your property - you go to your panel workshop and demand culprit to make good. He'll of course will go to his policy (leave your policy out of it for a no fault case).
    This will leave you in a good negotiating podition with his insurer as David advised for your best advantage.
    John
    Clogzz likes this.

Thanks all,

And sorry for the delay.

I had read the “Hail damaged” thread, but didn’t want to add to it so as not to corrupt it.

The Prius driver told me yesterday Saturday that he had just paid the excess.
    I’ll hear tomorrow Monday if that changes his insurer’s tune; even though as David wrote, that’s not meant to affect the situation.

I had asked my own insurance to run after the Prius driver and they said ‘uneconomic repair’ and the salvage value is 10% of the amount covered.
    I may pocket $1800 from them and cobble some repairs.
    I haven’t yet worked out what write-off rules apply in Queensland.

I’ve asked DingGo for a quote on Saturday and should have a reply early this week.

Back tomorrow.
    2003 C5 2.0i AL4 205,000 km 76372389

Wonder if the insurer was QBE otherwise known as the worst insurer in Australia quite sneaky and devious as well . I have them in court over a $80,000 denied claim need I say more

Thread Information