Like Tree109Likes

Thread: More reasons to accelerate BEV options

1000+ Posts

Default More reasons to accelerate BEV options

https://europe.autonews.com/automake...s-analysts-say

Advertisement

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fellow Frogger

Typical stupid rules created by bureaucrats where they appear likely to actually discourage manufacturers from adopting lightweight material options because having a greater 'fleet weight' gives more room in the emission target ...
    The investment bank UBS suggested in a report this month that this “limit value” has made it less likely automakers will use “lightweighting” technology to lower emissions.
    Playing the system becomes a more important driver than reducing weight and emissions.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Typical stupid rules created by bureaucrats where they appear likely to actually discourage manufacturers from adopting lightweight material options because having a greater 'fleet weight' gives more room in the emission target ...

Playing the system becomes a more important driver than reducing weight and emissions.
    I suspect trickery such as transmission ‘coasting’ is down to attaining the lowest possible emissions figure.

I did notice that Renault/Nissan/Mitsubishi don't need to be gaming the system, having decided some time ago to do the engineering required to meet the regulations.....
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

JBN

Citroen should be in no danger since they hardly produce any vehicles these days.

John

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    Citroen should be in no danger since they hardly produce any vehicles these days.

John
    Maybe that is why Macron is getting so much flack these days, are things this bad?
    https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/04/...kly_Highlights

The trajectory of the Macron project has been a case study in hubris. He has taken green politics and tested them to destruction. His putting up of fuel taxes last year while cutting the wealth tax was a manoeuvre so ill-judged as to beggar belief: it seems to show his contempt for those priced out of the cities, who live in provincial areas where they need cars. His diesel tax and carbon tax was the proximate cause for spawning the gilets jaunes movement, which is still bringing cities to a standstill every Saturday. His explanation that fuel prices had to rise to counter climate change cut little moutarde with voters.
    France has now had 21 consecutive weekends of demonstrations and riots in which thousands have been arrested, hundreds injured, many gravely, and ten killed. The frequent brutality of the police, relayed instantly on social networks, has been condemned by Amnesty International and the UN. The physical damage has cost hundreds of millions. The reputational hit has been much worse.
    Invest in France? Hopes of attracting many bankers from Brexit island have gone up in flames, along with the Porsches on the Avenue Kléber.

How can any car maker compete wit that stuff and deal with Brexit, John
    Maybe the writer has a problem with him then again maybe?

The Spectator is a sister publication of the right leaning Daily Telegraph. Add in British displeasure with the French over the last 600 years or so and you might envisage that commentary from north of the channel is likely to be hugely biased. To put things into perspective, the French still have an auto industry! Just putting it out there.....
    Nagaman likes this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

1000+ Posts

.......and when Rupert passes on Lachlan is set to maintain the standards apparently.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    The Spectator is a sister publication of the right leaning Daily Telegraph. Add in British displeasure with the French over the last 600 years or so and you might envisage that commentary from north of the channel is likely to be hugely biased. To put things into perspective, the French still have an auto industry! Just putting it out there.....
    Its probably a conspiracy - starts with the arrest of Julian Assange, then the gluggian will get into it a favourite left wing paper, and you will have the Biggest MOAN (Mother of All Nonsense) and poor old Julian whipped off to America, unless "someone" does something ???

1000+ Posts

You know we’re all in trouble when the humanities tell the sciences they don’t know what they are talking about.

Kenfuego likes this.

1000+ Posts

Default More reasons to accelerate BEV options

Germany prepares for the decline in ICE production -

https://europe.autonews.com/automake...-comes-germany

A 205 si would be quicker in a race from Brisbane to Melbourne than a Tesla that’s going to take a while to change.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time
    cjl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dmccurtayne View Post
    A 205 si would be quicker in a race from Brisbane to Melbourne than a Tesla that’s going to take a while to change.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Racing on public roads has been forbidden in Australia since the days of the interstate record breakers. Don't get caught at it!

1000+ Posts

We would always do it over 2 days in any case.
    4 legs with 2 lunch stops.........and we haven’t even started on significant infrastructure.
    We are a proven backward country.

Racing on public roads has been forbidden in Australia since the days of the interstate record breakers. Don't get caught at it!
    No just doing the speed limit

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

1000+ Posts

A good demonstration that Australians are so law abiding, no infamous Cannonball runs to make movies and mockery of the laws!

Quote Originally Posted by Nagaman View Post
    We would always do it over 2 days in any case.
    4 legs with 2 lunch stops.........and we haven’t even started on significant infrastructure.
    We are a proven backward country.

Well the two sort of fast charges around my area only ever seem to have one Tesla parked at it and that’s the guy that runs the motel fuel stations didn’t get built by government 15 years before cars started coming through.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

JBN

I know of a guy that has a Tesla and he does Sydney to Melbourne over two days. He has a long extension lead and recharges the Tesla while he and his wife enjoy a nice relaxing meal in a motel. A gentleman's way to go.

I do the trip in a 2CV in about 10 hours. It takes about 2 hours for me to regain my full height of 6 feet.

John

So the 2 is quicker than the Tesla as well

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    cjl likes this.

1000+ Posts

One of our leaders and policy makers said earlier this week that takes 8 to 10 minutes to charge a modern EV. No, i didn't hear it on the internet
    Anybody got an idea what EV that is? Obviously Tesla is old technology or he is just full of digested food?
    jaahn likes this.
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo View Post
    One of our leaders and policy makers said earlier this week that takes 8 to 10 minutes to charge a modern EV. No, i didn't hear it on the internet
    String isn’t all the same length though.

1000+ Posts

Yes Ken (Jo actually )
    I noted that someone was reported to have said that. But lets face it, it was probably said by a pollie who needs to ask a staffer to plug the kettle in because he does not know how !!!!
    Jaahn
    Last edited by jaahn; 13th April 2019 at 04:05 PM.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Yes Ken
    I noted that someone was reported to have said that. But lets face it, it was probably said by a pollie who needs to ask a staffer to plug the kettle in because he does not know how !!!!
    Jaahn
    Particularly if he’s opposed to kettles.

1000+ Posts

Icon14 Ev's and politicians will always screw it up...

Originally Posted by jaahn
    Yes Ken
    Jaahn
    I think you meant Jobo, but I did see an article where duelling politicians have some problems with understanding that some EV's can't pull the skin off a rice pudding and still cost too much for Mr and Mrs average Australian.

the cheapest electric car in Australia (Hyundai Ioniq $44,490) is nearly four times more expensive than its petrol counterpart (Mitsubishi Mirage $12,250) and doesn’t have the ‘grunt’ to tow a boat

Such a comment, ‘could only be made by someone who hasn’t driven one’, Mr X fumed posting a video of a Tesla Model X ($135,390) towing a Qantas Dreamliner, which may be how the X family likes to unwind but seems unlikely to take off, so to speak, with your average Aussie as a substitute for messing about in a boat
    I have Xed out the names but I guess if you have the money you can tow anything and rest of us can just go virtue signal, and that is probably why the auto industry is struggling with political dictates rather than realities of engineering and the best that ordinary customers can get, for the large proportion of their families income and meet their requirements for work and leisure,

PS I hope Jobo doesn't mind your misapplication of his post Jaahn, doesn't worry me of course.

Ken
    jaahn and JoBo like this.

1000+ Posts

Starting with the ‘second car’ what’s not to like about a BEV?.
    All it needs now is encouragement for business to get on with the job.

hypermiler likes this.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... Last

Thread Information