Tasmanian Fuel prices
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JBN

Thread: Tasmanian Fuel prices

1000+ Posts

Icon4 Tasmanian Fuel prices

Had a pleasant week in Tasmania, bought my diesel in Melbourne at Costco prices Diesel 136.7 , 98 petrol 139.7 and ULP 123.7. Fortunately didn't have to buy fuel though the Birthday Girl told me of Horror pricing for her 98 Fuel needs, but then there are other compensations for living in wonderful Tasmania, good markets, good people, helpful neighbours. I even found a few bargains in the short time I was there.

Saw quite a lot of new Renaults, Koleos, Clios and also quite a few Peugeots of all ages on the roads most with Tassie plates. There were also a few vintage cars on the roads, must have been a car club event somewhere, though I didn't get to see where on my short visit.

As usual the Megane was heavily loaded on the trip down and also on the trip back (plants tools etc.) The dearest Diesel I saw was in the main Launceston strip both BP and Shell had it at $169.9 a litre, but elsewhere on the trip to Devonport it was mostly 145.9. Lots of Caravans and small buses on the Spirit of Tasmania all heading back to Melbourne before the higher peak rates for Holidays . Number plates from all over Australia.

Got back with a quarter of a tank of fuel left in the Megane as I came off the boat. Raining when I left and raining when I got back. Nice days in between (well mostly)

Advertisement

Ken

Thank you Ken, for advising that I can expect to pay through the nose for fuel on our Tassie touring in a few weeks time!

No problem really, cost of fuel just a small part of holiday expenses.

However, I can tell you that we inadvertently (due to booking a bus tour some time ago) have found ourselves touring (after the bus tour) at Easter, School Holidays, Anzac Day - the trifecta. The rental car, a Mitsi ASX, same as we had in Vic last year for $30/day, is $120/day at this time in Tassie, same rental company! Accommodation also harder to get, but didn't seem too bad pricewise. Swings and Roundabouts.

Cheers.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

1000+ Posts

Default Sorry about that Mate, but enjoy the trip!!.

Quote Originally Posted by Fordman View Post
    Thank you Ken, for advising that I can expect to pay through the nose for fuel on our Tassie touring in a few weeks time!

No problem really, cost of fuel just a small part of holiday expenses.

However, I can tell you that we inadvertently (due to booking a bus tour some time ago) have found ourselves touring (after the bus tour) at Easter, School Holidays, Anzac Day - the trifecta. The rental car, a Mitsi ASX, same as we had in Vic last year for $30/day, is $120/day at this time in Tassie, same rental company! Accommodation also harder to get, but didn't seem too bad pricewise. Swings and Roundabouts.

Cheers.
    Chris

I am sure that you will enjoy your stay in Tassie and we have left some "stuff" with Di for you, including two "slippery" AL4 solenoids at NO Cost to you, just don't drop them! Di is looking forward to seeing you both, hopefully those things will brighten up your visit and Tassie is a great place with lots of things to do and see. Hope all goes well.

When I finally get over to WA I will have a mutual grizzle about whatever the high fuel price is when we get there mate ... COSTCO has been saying it will open a store or stores in Tassie and hopefully they will also do the fuel station thing as well, but that will only help those that live nearby. They were talking about a store near Launceston Airport, but it hasn't eventuated. Lot of local politics work against new discount outlets, grocery stores don't want the competition from Aldi either. Your good Lady will enjoy shopping for nick knacks at "Shiploads" just as mine does!!

Just watch for unexpected driving while touring, some drivers seem to delight in driving out onto main roads without looking, so they potter out from the left at 60 km and then turning left into a 110 km road, but apart from that odd trait, lovely, kind and generous by nature, something in the water I think.!

Ken.

1000+ Posts

Icon4 Fuel comparisons with what you can get.

Fordman or others interested in fuel prices in Tasmania could update this thread from time to time. Fordman will be able to compare with his Western Australian pricing of the grades he uses and of course whatever grade the rental in Tasmania uses.

Just an update on the Costco pricing as at yesterday, Diesel price had DROPPED!! from my last fill to $132.7 per litre. (happy face)

so 132.7 Diesel, 146.7 for 98 premium, $130.7 for 91 Ulp, Costco unfortunately they don't sell LPG, but in my travels around Victoria LPG seems to be retailing in the 60 to 75 cents per litre range though some try to charge more

General feeling on driving past other stations is that Diesel generally is obtainable at 147 to 158 cents a litre with other petrol grades seem to be all over the place, seek and find the cheapest that suits your car !!

Ken

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post

General feeling on driving past other stations is that Diesel generally is obtainable at 147 to 158 cents a litre with other petrol grades seem to be all over the place, seek and find the cheapest that suits your car !!

Ken
    Too much seeking and you end up wasting fuel. I buy at the local garage, I only look at the actual cost of the fill, pay that and drive off, telling myself I just got a great deal, very close to home and then make a conscious decision NOT to look at the billboards of other petrol stations.
    I expect to die happy albeit broke (but who needs money in the hereafter?) with just a couple of litres left in the tank.

John
    Kenfuego likes this.

1000+ Posts

Heck today I drove past a 711 pump price board and the 98 Ron Price was 177.9 cents a litre now that seems a fair hike over the COSTCO

price of 146.7 for 98 premium

Perhaps I need to fill a 20 litre jerry can of each fuel at next visit.

Thread Information