Peugeot 2008, 2015 model 4 speed auto
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Danfrom71

Thread: Peugeot 2008, 2015 model 4 speed auto

Tadpole

Default Peugeot 2008, 2015 model 4 speed auto

Hi folks, new to this site, looking at buying a 2015 Peugeot 2008 1.6ltr 4 speed auto, has 88,000km, bit surprised its only a 4 speed for a newish car, would anyone know if those gear boxes get good life? and if there a timing belt or timing chain.. Any info I'd be greatful..

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Danfrom71 View Post
    Hi folks, new to this site, looking at buying a 2015 Peugeot 2008 1.6ltr 4 speed auto, has 88,000km, bit surprised its only a 4 speed for a newish car, would anyone know if those gear boxes get good life? and if there a timing belt or timing chain.. Any info I'd be greatful..
    We have a November 2013 build, but bought new in April 2014, Peugeot 2008 Active (base model) with the 4speed auto which has 42,000kms and mechanically, it's been faultless! The only major dramas we've had, was the rubber window lining needing replacing on both front and rear door window frames. This happened after the new car warranty had expired and was replaced at no charge to us, Peugeot covered the lot!

These also have a timing chain, not a belt. You'll find that the car likes to stay in 3rd gear for city driving until you get over 60km/h and then it'll change up to 4th. Going up hills, it'll change from 4th down to 3rd and back to 4th frequently, so to get up the speed. It'll do this the whole time you're climbing the hill, which can get annoying, luckily we rarely do any hilly driving, but once it's settled, it'll push along quite happily.

Honestly haven't heard of any mechanical, gear box or engine issues, but if there are any stories out there, they're rare.

Fuel consumption, the best we've had it down to is 6.2L/100km on the open road trips, but around the city it can get as high as 8.2L/100km. It's currently sitting on 7.6L/100km.

We're from Adelaide and driving to Melbourne on Thursday, then taking the Pug over to Tassie on the Spirit of Tasmania for a week's holiday next week, so really looking forward at seeing how it performs. 90% of our driving is Adelaide city driving, so it'll be good to take it out for a big long run.

The 2008, like the 208 hatch, had an upgrade in 2017, which saw the introduction of the new Aisin 6speed auto and believe me, it's such a nicer vehicle to drive with the 6speed auto!
    2016 Holden Astra RS-V 1.6L Turbo Manual Hatch - Current Drive
    2013 Peugeot 2008 Active 1.6L Auto Wagon - Current Drive

2006 Renault Megane Expression 2.0L Auto Hatch - Past Drive
    2013 Renault Latitude Privilege 2.0L dCi Auto Sedan - Past Drive

2008 Renault Laguna Dynamique 2.0L dCi Auto Wagon - Past Drive
    2002 Renault Laguna Privilege 3.0L V6 Auto Wagon - Past Drive
    1995 Renault 19 Alize 1.8L Manual Sedan - Past Drive
    1998 SEAT Cordoba SXE 1.6L Manual Sedan - Past Drive

Tadpole

Thx so much best info I've gotten so far.. Heard that the AL4 automatic gear box's were the worst ever, not sure what type is in the 2008, but regular transmission oil changes should help? Ohh do the 1.6ltt engines reliable or do they build up carbon like the other 1.6ltr pugs.. Thx heaps

Thx so much best info I've gotten so far.. Heard that the AL4 automatic gear box's were the worst ever, not sure what type is in the 2008, but regular transmission oil changes should help? Ohh do the 1.6ltt engines reliable or do they build up carbon like the other 1.6ltr pugs.. Thx heaps
    Sorry, but I can't confirm if the earlier 4speed 2008's use the dreaded AL4 transmissions, as trying to get information on that is very hard to find on the net. I think if that's the case, then it may not use the AL4, but maybe an updated version of it, which is why we haven't heard of any horror stories from 2008 owners, that previous Peugeot/Citroen and Renault owners experienced.

Also haven't heard or had any problems personally with carbon build up or the reliability of the engine and transmission. The vehicles have been on sale in Australia since 2014, so if there were any horror stories regarding those points you've mentioned, we would have heard about them by now.

Again, we've done 42,000km in our 2013 2008 Active from new and we've had no problems at all mechanically with the car. We take it in for it's service every 12months and it's always had a good bill of health. We've never paid any more than what the capped price servicing price was being charged at. We got 5 years of capped price servicing with Peugeot, but it's now run out, had our last capped price service just last week, so now we'll be taking it to the local Peugeot/Citroen Euro mechanic that is also a lot closer to where we live.

Tadpole

Thanks heaps for your reply, best one ever.. The one I'm looking at has 85,000km but no issues according to seller

Thanks heaps for your reply, best one ever.. The one I'm looking at has 85,000km but no issues according to seller
    You're welcome!

They're a great little crossover/wagon and are sometimes very underestimated. They're also very practical, with a low loading entry and when the rear seats are folded flat, you've got a completely flat floor all the way to the back of the front seats, something the Mazda CX3 doesn't offer. You've also got plenty of head room in the front and back.

Tadpole

What grade of petrol do you use? and has the service centres done a transmission flush as part of a regular service yet? plus lastly has any of the services ever included a decarb type cleaner through motor.. I found another 2008 one in Brisbane with a 65000km for $11990 which seems awewome value for a 2015 model

What grade of petrol do you use? and has the service centres done a transmission flush as part of a regular service yet? plus lastly has any of the services ever included a decarb type cleaner through motor.. I found another 2008 one in Brisbane with a 65000km for $11990 which seems awewome value for a 2015 model
    We mainly use 98RON, but occasionally we'll put in 95RON, the 2008 takes both. Never use under that!

No, there has been no transmission flush as part of the regular service and we've had no decarb type cleaner through the motor either.
    As far as I can see in the manual and within our service records, there is no need for this to occur.
    We've only ever had it serviced at a Peugeot dealer/service centre.

Being a timing chain, there is no required time to have this replaced.

That does sound very good value for a 2015 with only 65,000km, just make sure all the service history is on time and up to date. Being a 2015 model, it's probably just come out of new car warranty too, but there is a chance it could still be under new car warrant also, so double check that. With the change of distributors, the new car warranty for Peugeot changed a few times, so just check that.

Tadpole

Thx heaps again for your help, it's been just what I needed, sounds like there good little suv models
    iLaguna likes this.

Thread Information