Facel Vega
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dijon16

Thread: Facel Vega

Default Facel Vega

I've been watching over the past few days, the demise of the Gosford Auto Museum and the auctioning off of its stock via Lloyds Auctions (see below). It got me to wondering whether anyone knew of the existence in Australia of a Facel Vega.

I saw one in Sydney, around 1962 when I was ten. As I recall, the car wasn't in good condition even then, but as a callow youth, I knew that it was still something special. Being so young, I couldn't tell you what model it was. I've never seen one in Australia since. Does anyone know if one exists here?

Advertisement

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/gos...oses-its-doors

https://www.lloydsonline.com.au/AuctionLots.aspx?smode=0&aid=11578&pgn=1&pgs=100&_ ga=2.171749027.280005907.1551750052-1440581146.1551750052
    Currently:
    06 Peugeot 307 HDI Wagon
    61 Renault 4CV Gordini (Kermit)

1000+ Posts

A 1961 Facel Vega was up at a Darling Harbour auction in 1990.

1000+ Posts

If you haven't seen this review - enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQrwbzDTvSQ

Cheers

Alec

Thanks to Russell and Alec.
    Currently:
    06 Peugeot 307 HDI Wagon

There was Facel Vega HK500 parked at a Service Centre in Merthyr Rd, New Farm (Brisbane) for many weeks in 1989. I was living down the road and passed it each day on my way to the bus stop. New Farm was a very affordable (if a little dodgy) place to live then. Lots of artists, students and eccentrics - so a high ratio of interesting cars.

I remember the mechanic was working on a roadworthy for the car. He either owned it or knew the owner and asked me if I was interested in buying. It was pre-internet so there was very little info about the marque available. I was too poor as the owner of unreliable Triumph but I always loved the look of the car and to this day have wished that I had scraped together the money. I didn't get the impression he wanted much for it - maybe a few grand. The mechanic told me the engine was fine because it was the same as a Chrysler but the rest was a nightmare. Being pre-internet, there really wasn't much of a market for unusual cars like Facel Vegas in Brisbane. The car was in poor condition - paint falling off, wood dash cracked - very very cool looking car though.

My other car regret was not buying a 1960s Lagonda Rapide that was on Gympie Rd, Kedron car lot around 1995. It was in okay condition. They had $28000 with RWC on it and were open to negotiation. I think 20K and I would have got it.

Back to exotic French, I remember seeing in the late 70s a Delahaye as a kid and thought this was THE car I wanted when I grew up. It was in barn in a roadside tourist attraction on the Sunshine Coast called "Yesteryear World" or something like that. It was rusted, not operating but I can still see the curves and imposing grill as clear as yesterday. I'm 90% sure it was this model https://goo.gl/Z9ko7Y and was in very in similar condition.

The next generation seems less interested in owning cars - which makes me wonder if cool cars may become cheap again

Default Facel Vega

Some years ago (maybe five or a few more) there was a Facel Vega 500 at the French Car day at Silverwater..It was a beautifully kept and maintained vehicle complete with picnic basket in the boot I recall. I think it had red leather interior. It was a real show car. I don't know whose it was but it was a gem.

Quote Originally Posted by Geopug2 View Post
    Some years ago (maybe five or a few more) there was a Facel Vega 500 at the French Car day at Silverwater..It was a beautifully kept and maintained vehicle complete with picnic basket in the boot I recall. I think it had red leather interior. It was a real show car. I don't know whose it was but it was a gem.
    I think the same car turned up at a Renault muster about 6 years ago held at Junee

There was one at classic cars & coffee over here in WA last year

Sent from my Moto G Play using aussiefrogs mobile app
    “Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.” Cheers. John

Thanks everyone. I can still live in hope of seeing another one in the flesh.
    Currently:
    06 Peugeot 307 HDI Wagon

1000+ Posts

adbell, possibly the same Delahaye that was being shown around Sydney and Melbourne at the end of 1950. It was the ultimate performance car and had a price of over 2500 pounds. It's never clear if the same car was shown in both capitals or there were two.

Russell - Could be. If it was - by the 1970s it sadly was no longer in showroom condition but still really fascinating to look at.

In those days, there were small privately owned roadside attractions every few miles along major roads in South East Queensland. This place had a few old buildings with memorabilia and maybe a steam engine. But the most exciting part was a shed with a piles of old junk and this incredibly usual looking car. I only got to know the marque because DELAHAYE was emblazoned in the badge above the grill.

My parents always took me to these sort of places after a very successful outing to Gilltrapps Auto Museum on the Gold Coast...

Just been looking at the pics of the Delahaye 135 on the WWW (30 years old today) and discovered that it was made in quite varying forms for 20 years (1935-54). The headlamps on the earlier models were closer to the center. By the late 40s the lights had got bigger and moved away from the centre.

The one I saw had headlamps that sat over the wheel guards like this one (which is a 1949 model)
    https://www.conceptcarz.com/profile/...haye-135m.aspx. This correlates to Sydney/Mebourne sightings in 1950s mentioned by Russell

...... Average Sale price for this model in 2019 is USD$475000.

FV.jpg

This was at the late Gosford Museum (sorry, dealership) last year or the year before.
    Steve Turner likes this.

It appears to be the same HK500 from Gosford up for sale
    Our Stock - Lorbek

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by adbell View Post
    Russell - Could be. If it was - by the 1970s it sadly was no longer in showroom condition but still really fascinating to look at.

In those days, there were small privately owned roadside attractions every few miles along major roads in South East Queensland. This place had a few old buildings with memorabilia and maybe a steam engine. But the most exciting part was a shed with a piles of old junk and this incredibly usual looking car. I only got to know the marque because DELAHAYE was emblazoned in the badge above the grill.

My parents always took me to these sort of places after a very successful outing to Gilltrapps Auto Museum on the Gold Coast...
    Hi adbell, when I had my workshop in the mid 90,s one of my Peugeot customers had a delahaye 135 in his garage which went out about once a year,was offered to me for $50,000,but as usual wrong time financially.probably still around don,t know if owner is still around.the same car I used to see as a teenager under tarps and outside, near the family home,thirty years later I get to see it garaged and running still with same reg plates on,should do some detective work shouldn,t I?.. jim

Thread Information