Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By angru
  • 1 Post By jaahn
  • 2 Post By jo proffi
  • 1 Post By dmccurtayne

Thread: How often does this happen?

1000+ Posts

Default How often does this happen?

The ADR plate on my Xantia is wrong! The VIN number has a '1' in place of a '7'. The number stamped onto the frame and Citroen's own id plate are in agreement - it's the Australian compliance people who can't read (or type) . Even the dealer has managed to write the correct number in the service book.

Fortunately the incorrect VIN does not belong to another vehicle - Service Box reports it be an "unknown vehicle".

Just hope that when I finally get around to getting this car registered in NSW that the guys doing the blue slip don't have a problem with it (it was previously registered in SA).

Advertisement

Anyone else seen this happen? Has it caused any problems?

Cheers

Alec
    Last edited by Armidillo; 3rd March 2019 at 05:44 PM.

Get in touch with NSW people ASAP and sort first before doing any work on car

Fellow Frogger!

I had a 406v6 that had something one number off. It got through vicroads inspection when I registered it and I think they mentioned it. I sold it a few months later to a guy who Reg’d It in SA and they gave him grief. Think he got past it though.
    This was the the same car that I had an issue where I took it to a dealership for a pre purchase inspection and the dealer who examined it told the perspective buyer it had the wrong motor in it, they told the perspective buyer it had a Renault Laguna motor in it.... I found it funny that the engine number in the original owners book from original sale and the number on the block were identical! I think the fact that it had Renault written on the plastic cover confused them (I’d put one I had laying round on it cause the Peugeot one was missing) Anyway. Lost that sale but sold it later.
    jaahn likes this.

1000+ Posts

Hi Alex
    Twice the guy found a mistake on the papers when I have had to blueslip a car I purchased unregistered. First was a mistake between an 8 and a three on a VW. The second was a similar mistake on a C5. Both had the original rego plates and papers which had been used for years. The guy doing the blue slip had seen it all before. He just carefully cleaned the original stamping on the chassie and then the Vin number was checked carefully. Then he just typed the correct number into the new registration application with a note on the bottom. Both went through OK with no problems.
    I can see that a nervous fussy person may be a bit *&%$ but really it has all been seen before. While I was there for another blue slip a guy came in on a Harley for one too. The old inspector looked at it a few times as he did mine and when he finished he said to the Harley owner, "that engine number looks like you just stamped it, if it is not genuine I suggest you leave now" The bikey got on and left. The mechanic rang the RTA and gave them the description that he had noted down. He had seen that before too !!

My mate bought a Pug405 from Vic and it did not have an engine number. So he had to get some stamps and stamp a number into the block which the mechanic obtained from the RTA. A bit of a nuisance because he had to go back three times.
    Jaahn

1000+ Posts

Alex
    At the weekend I was doing an RMS rego check for a secondhand Pug 206 I was looking at. I had a pic of the VIN from under the windscreen glass so it was correct. The RMS check gave the rego date and some info for a 'white 2005 Pug 206 with VIN +++++++++L001'. That is not correct for any VIN ending. Someone stuffed that up years ago probably also.
    Jaahn
    Armidillo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Alex
    At the weekend I was doing an RMS rego check for a secondhand Pug 206 I was looking at. I had a pic of the VIN from under the windscreen glass so it was correct. The RMS check gave the rego date and some info for a 'white 2005 Pug 206 with VIN +++++++++L001'. That is not correct for any VIN ending. Someone stuffed that up years ago probably also.
    Jaahn
    My blue slip guy buggered up one number, and when the car that carried the VIN written on my paper work was disposed of, my rego was automatically cancelled also.

It took the RMS about two weeks to sort through all the crap, because according to my representative at the RMS, the software is so locked up and so secure it is almost impossible to deviate from the norm....or to find the person who can change the details on the system.

As long as the vin on the car matches the vin on the new NSW paper work, and you are confident no funny business has taken place, I'd just play dumb and not mention anything.

Jo

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post

As long as the vin on the car matches the vin on the new NSW paper work, and you are confident no funny business has taken place, I'd just play dumb and not mention anything.

Jo
    Sounds like a plan Jo - except that there are two different VINs on the car .

Cheers

Alec

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post

Cheers

Alec
    Stick a sticker over the wrong one and pretend it didn't happen.

My Blue slip guy was a bit old and blind, and would ask me to read out the engine numbers while he wrote them down.
    Hopefully you're inspector does the same.

Jo
    Armidillo and jaahn like this.

1000+ Posts

we had a Queensland roadworthy done ,on a car so the buyer could rego it in qld ,i live on the border ,the garage stuffed up the mileage .by putting it down as 3 km higher ,as the qld registry was more than that distance away ,they said it wasnt going to be a problem ,we rock up at the registry after picking the buyer up from the railway station having traveled a couple of hrs to get there ,we joined the queue ,and waited some time ,the girl behind the desk accompanied us to the car to check the engine no and vin ,which had already been done by the approved garage ,sh had a tight short dress on ,from memory it was an audi 80 quatro ,with a 5 cylinder engine ,engine bay totally chokers with stuff ,she eventually managed to satisfy herself that the engine no ,way down in there was correct, going to all kinds of contortions trying not to display her backside ,,she checks the speedo and discovers that we have put the odometer up by 3 km ,[ the odometer wasnt working ] ,she goes back to her supervisor they declare we have tampered with the paperwork and that we have to get another inspection and ,come back as it was now 4.30 ,i had to take old mate back to the railway and start again the next day ,repeat performance the next day ,with the correct number on the paperwork ,it hadnt changed ,all went smoothly ,the original roadworthy ran out on that day[the first day ] ,they declared that we had tried to change the date although it was in two other places on the report ,who puts the ks up on a car when trying to sell it ,pugs

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post

Cheers Alec
    Alex the manufacturer allocates the VIN and stamps the chassie and the VIN plate(now a sticker ??). They are the primary check. The importer or the dealers would be judged to be much less reliable and capable of mistakes. Now-a-days the VIN is also under the windscreen glass and in easy view, a clear black and white sticker but not easily changed.

Do not stress, just go to a blue slip place that has a sensible older mechanic who does the check and speak to him first. Too difficult go to another one !!
    jaahn

You need to contact Citroen Australia it is their responsibility to correct compliance plates no matter how old the car is.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time
    cjl likes this.

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by pugwash View Post
    we had a Queensland roadworthy done ,on a car so the buyer could rego it in qld ,i live on the border ,the garage stuffed up the mileage .by putting it down as 3 km higher ,as the qld registry was more than that distance away ,they said it wasnt going to be a problem ,we rock up at the registry after picking the buyer up from the railway station having traveled a couple of hrs to get there ,we joined the queue ,and waited some time ,the girl behind the desk accompanied us to the car to check the engine no and vin ,which had already been done by the approved garage ,sh had a tight short dress on ,from memory it was an audi 80 quatro ,with a 5 cylinder engine ,engine bay totally chokers with stuff ,she eventually managed to satisfy herself that the engine no ,way down in there was correct, going to all kinds of contortions trying not to display her backside ,,she checks the speedo and discovers that we have put the odometer up by 3 km ,[ the odometer wasnt working ] ,she goes back to her supervisor they declare we have tampered with the paperwork and that we have to get another inspection and ,come back as it was now 4.30 ,i had to take old mate back to the railway and start again the next day ,repeat performance the next day ,with the correct number on the paperwork ,it hadnt changed ,all went smoothly ,the original roadworthy ran out on that day[the first day ] ,they declared that we had tried to change the date although it was in two other places on the report ,who puts the ks up on a car when trying to sell it ,pugs
    Probably a pervert who wants to share the pleasure?

John

Thread Information