• 1 Post By WLB
  • 1 Post By Exfrogger
  • 1 Post By schlitzaugen

Thread: Modern illiteracy & moronic words

WLB

Default Modern illiteracy & moronic words

Additized.

Advertisement

I filled up with petrol last night at a 7-Eleven. At the bowser I had a choice of three. Special Unleaded, Special 91, and Special 95. A notice informed me of their special properties. A footnote stated that this was when compared with petrol that was not additized. Presumably, some marketing genius at 7-Eleven thinks that when additives are added, perhaps by the process of additization, the fuel becomes additized. One wonders how their petrol's additizationality compares with that of Shell, BP or Caltex?
    Kenfuego and jaahn like this.

1000+ Posts

Maybe aditized is code for all having detergent additives, as opposed to selective Vortex and Ultimate labels ‘frinstance’.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1000+ Posts

B/S seems to have been the major additive to Australian fuels for years. Although 70 years ago there were still many multiple brand service stations where two or three brands were sold alongside each other. Brands did not have the same (low) octane rating so there really was a claimed difference. On the other hand Motor Manual questioned whether the difference was in the calculation. In 1952 there was controversy about our low octane fuel. British fuel quality had improved and some cars were coming out with compressions as high as 8.5 to 1. They had to have thick head gaskets fitted for sale in Australia. There was a demand for better fuel and as usual the Government sided with the refiners. We were told we could not have better fuel because it was needed for the UN air force in Korea.
    WLB likes this.

WLB

Quote Originally Posted by Nagaman View Post
    Maybe aditized is code for all having detergent additives, as opposed to selective Vortex and Ultimate labels ‘frinstance’.
    I understood what they were trying to say. It's just that it's the most ridiculous example of an invented word to use in place of existing words, that I've seen for a long time. So often we hear or read press releases from politicians, government officials, and corporate spokespeople, that say nothing or can't be understood. Sometimes it's deliberate so that they can speak for quite a while without saying anything, and sometimes it's a marketing twit who thinks he's sounding impressive.
    What is the future of understandable communication? (Sorry, forgot to add 'going forward' to the end of my last sentence.)
    Last edited by WLB; 2nd March 2019 at 03:05 PM. Reason: typo
    Kenfuego, CXVingtCinq and jaahn like this.

1000+ Posts

Bring back Plume, the COR, Ampol, Golden Fleece and the flying red horse .

Atlantic
    Last edited by Nagaman; 2nd March 2019 at 03:21 PM.
    WLB likes this.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WLB View Post
    I understood what they were trying to say. It's just that it's the most ridiculous example of an invented word to use in place of existing words, that I've seen for a long time. So often we hear or read press releases from politicians, government officials, and corporate spokespeople, that say nothing or can't be understood. Sometimes it's deliberate so that they can speak for quite a while without saying anything, and sometimes it's a marketing twit who thinks he's sounding impressive.
    What is the future of understandable communication? (Sorry, for got to add 'going forward' to the end of my last sentence.)
    One wouldn’t want to be cynical otherwise expressions like ‘outplacing’ might become common,.....at the appropriate juncture, in the fullness of time etc

jaahn, CXVingtCinq and WLB like this.

WLB

I had to go to the municipal offices awhile ago, and the first thing they asked me was, am I a client. No, I'm a ratepayer!
    Next time you are at the airport, waiting for your flight, and they announce over the PA system that guests travelling to wherever should go to gate such and such, you should ask them why you have been charged for your ticket. There was a time when guests in hotels and guest-houses paid for the privilege but in every other situation, a guest was a free visitor, there by invitation.

1000+ Posts

I had to go to the municipal offices awhile ago, and the first thing they asked me was, am I a client. No, I'm a ratepayer!
    Next time you are at the airport, waiting for your flight, and they announce over the PA system that guests travelling to wherever should go to gate such and such, you should ask them why you have been charged for your ticket. There was a time when guests in hotels and guest-houses paid for the privilege but in every other situation, a guest was a free visitor, there by invitation.
    I think it’s to demonstrate exactly how much they care about you .
    Have a nice day y’all.

WLB likes this.

1000+ Posts

We might have a COR again - the Commonwealth Oil Reserve, Just like America:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strate...United_States)

WLB

Has anyone else just had this web page turn into a new format with posts occupying the full width of the screen and all the other side links and menus crammed into single lines of basic text at the top left of the page, surrounded by a sea of green empty space?
    Last edited by WLB; 2nd March 2019 at 04:49 PM. Reason: typo

1000+ Posts

Not here

Has anyone else just had this web page turn into a new format with posts occupying the full width of the screen and all the other side links and menus crammed into single lines of basic text at the top right of the page, surrounded by a sea of green empty space?
    Yup...
    Had the same about a week ago and yes started again about an hour ago, it will come good - you get used to navigating around in the meantime

Cheers
    Chris
    Kenfuego likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

WLB

Off topic, but here we go again. At least I hope not.

Attachment 112592

10 years and 3 weeks ago, to the day.

Attachment 112593

An hour ago.

WLB

Dead calm at the moment. And barely a sound. Very eerie. Very dark outside.
    The forecast cool change may be a problem though. Gusty wind from the west or southwest would crank it up and possibly send it here. Just like last time!
    It's going to be an interesting night.

1000+ Posts

Off topic, but here we go again. At least I hope not.

Attachment 112592

10 years and 3 weeks ago, to the day.

Attachment 112593

An hour ago.

Just to let you know, your attachments aren't visible. Hope the strong wind with the cool change doesn't spread the fires to any new areas.

Cheers

Alec

WLB

If you click on them, they open a link when I try it. I tried to upload the photos but even though I reduced the jpg size to under 100kb, as it insists that you do, it still says it's bigger than 100kb. Even when I cut it down to 60kb. Also still getting the strange web page appearance.

Unfortunately the cool change is going to turn the fires through 90 degrees to the left. They were heading south or southeast. But now it's swung around to the west, whay was its long eastern flank is now the front. I can now smell the smoke.

WLB

Fingers crossed.

1000+ Posts

Default Modern illiteracy &amp; moronic words

You could see the Bunyip smoke on the 128km BOM radar.
    http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR023.loop.shtml#skip

WLB

It seems to have thinned out now. Not so noticeable.
    GreenBlood likes this.

1000+ Posts

Back on topic.

The problem with with marketing is that you’ve got to come up with a different way of saying what everyone else is saying. If you can do this you get paid. It’s called “incentivization”, hence “additivisation”.

At best dicitionaries are guidelines that get updated on the fly.
    WLB likes this.
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

It's a modern trend. The masses feel left out when they hear words they can't spell, or have to read words they can't.

Even the prime minister found it necessary to dumb down his name.
    jaahn likes this.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by Exfrogger View Post
    Back on topic.

The problem with with marketing is that you’ve got to come up with a different way of saying what everyone else is saying. If you can do this you get paid. It’s called “incentivization”, hence “additivisation”.

At best dicitionaries are guidelines that get updated on the fly.
    Unless of course you are talking about the Oxford dictionary, which does go to some pains to establish the truth before it adds a new word to it's lexicon......
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

1000+ Posts

Bands of heavy rain about hopefully some will fall in the fire areas and help the fire fighters put them out stay safe down your way WLB.

Thread Information